Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

I think that the SECR van has proved the is a market for relatively small batches of RTR pre-grouping wagons. Now Rails Has to prove that this one isn't a fluke and go on to produce a range of similar vehicles from other companies. Lets just see what the market is for say a GNSR or G&SWR van or anything from a S Wales railway. 

Indeed. Can the euphoria be repeated? Would it be repeated if the next wagon was to be a really useful type such as I suggested? Or does it have to be obscure?

22 hours ago, billbedford said:

I think that the SECR van has proved the is a market for relatively small batches of RTR pre-grouping wagons. Now Rails Has to prove that this one isn't a fluke and go on to produce a range of similar vehicles from other companies. Lets just see what the market is for say a GNSR or G&SWR van or anything from a S Wales railway. 

:D

On 03/03/2021 at 14:09, Compound2632 said:

Indeed. Can the euphoria be repeated? Would it be repeated if the next wagon was to be a really useful type such as I suggested? Or does it have to be obscure?

Ask the collectors. I'm convinced that the bulk of the output goes to collection-minded customers, not to promote realism on layouts. And I don't know if a typical collector would like a rare model of a common thing more than a more-common model of an obscure thing.

At the moment, the amount of accurate, pre-grouping, RTR stock is so small that almost anything is likely to sell. The bigger question is what would be preferred in 5 or 10 years time. That's a lot of models away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

Ask the collectors. I'm convinced that the bulk of the output goes to collection-minded customers, not to promote realism on layouts. And I don't know if a typical collector would like a rare model of a common thing more than a more-common model of an obscure thing.

At the moment, the amount of accurate, pre-grouping, RTR stock is so small that almost anything is likely to sell. The bigger question is what would be preferred in 5 or 10 years time. That's a lot of models away.

I model the early 1920s (prior to the grouping). I ordered 2 of the SECR vans which will be converted to P4. If models are done that fit within my timeframe of interest I will buy them. I cannot say I am terribly interested in the oddball stuff though and would likely pass on that. 

Regards,

Craig W

On 03/03/2021 at 14:09, Compound2632 said:

Not sure Wainwright's standard design for a covered wagon qualifies as 'obscure', but if you manage to behave yourself, maybe one day we'll do something Midland!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1424_3455.jpg.6b0b8cfdb1a49168bb10a0735d2f172d.jpg

The first of our SE&CR 16' Covered Goods Wagons Arrive!

RL-1424-013 SE&CR 16' Covered Goods Wagon with Experimental Doors finished in Wainwright SE&CR Grey and numbered. No.9944

Orders are being processed for those customers who have pre-ordered and these will be despatched shortly.

We have a limited amount remaining and available to order,  visit our website for more details

Another version also has arrived:

RL-1424-009 SE&CR 16' Covered Goods Wagon Maunsell SECR Grey No.1923

Again orders are being processed for those customers who have pre-ordered and these will be despatched shortly.

Unfortunately these are completely sold out on pre-order.

The remaining outstanding versions are expected to arrive soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just received notification that my two SECR livery (dark grey livery) vans have been despatched. No I have the fun of waiting for the various postal services to deliver them to Australia. As such, I expect this thread to have photos in it soon!

Regards,

Craig W

• RMweb Gold

Arrived in the post today. 

Good to see that the brake shoes are in the prototypical position - i.e. they will line up with P4 wheel sets.

The picture is fairly cruel as it's larger than life - in reality the lines caused by the manufacturing process are not really visible at normal viewing distance.

secr_9944.jpg.6e3a632bf4e67b1125f890a49df034b7.jpg

• Like 6

I have mine too but I can’t better that photograph. The lines do show up if the light catches them and the roof shows parabolic lines. As adrianmc says, they are not (mostly) readily visible except on close examination. The doors, however, show the layering quite clearly and destroy the impression of pressed metal. They don’t show up from 3'. On the other hand, the brake levers look better than they do on the original productions. I can’t say I like the Dapol NEM sockets – generally I find them fragile and best stuck on so that they are immovable. The roof is a little odd in that it is flush to the end wall at one end but overhangs it slightly at the other. The reason seems to be that there are rivet like appendages under the roof and out of sight. My guess is that these are there to help the roof grip the ends but they are only there on one end, causing the slight asymmetry.

On the plus side, the ratchets under the brake lever are very well depicted. Overall, though and despite the niggles it is a very nice and useful model and I am sorry that 1923 (the version with the large lettering) slipped under my radar and sold out before I could order one. Still, I have three more on order since last year and I can look forward them.

Mine also arrived earlier, I missed out on the first batches so went for the experimental doored version and another Maunsell livery van still to come. I can't add much more to the above comments or photos. 

Mine also has the lines on the door, though not as visible as the photo from adrianmc. It also has what look like 2 printing supports on the underside of each buffer housing left in place so might have to carefully cut them off. 

• RMweb Premium

Have to say mine doesn't look at all like that even under a magnifying glass.  It is most "visible" under the fingertip when the texture imparted by the printing process can be felt and underneath where the print lines are very obvious to the eye.  

Agree the roof could sit better but is easily rectified. 

All in all, absolutely delighted with this model and looking forward to the others I have on order.

Well done Rails and Dapol.

• Like 1

Here are my pair. They have a nice weight to them and the wheels are definitely finer compared to mass produced RTR, but they do run okay most importantly.

As with most technology, 3D printing is only going to get better. Who knows what it will be capable of in the next few years.

DSC03540.JPG

• Like 5