Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

Here are my pair. They have a nice weight to them and the wheels are definitely finer compared to mass produced RTR, but they do run okay most importantly.

As with most technology, 3D printing is only going to get better. Who knows what it will be capable of in the next few years.

DSC03540.JPG

Not too sure about that Maunsell era grey, in my opinion it should be much darker than that, more comparable to GWR grey /closer to the restored examples of SECR wagons.

Willing to hold judgement until mine arrives as its another of that livery but I feel I may end up repainting it to match the rest of my wagons. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, bigherb said:

Mines not printed too badly, but the paint on the roof was already cracked, like the previous versions have started to do.1496439800_IMG_5572(3).JPG.e894d0485381dc667c5c40a920efd48f.JPG

Morning, 

Sorry about this, I have sent you a PM and will sort a replacement roof out for you.

Thanks
Oliver

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Willing to hold judgement until mine arrives as its another of that livery but I feel I may end up repainting it to match the rest of my wagons. 

But should it match the rest of your wagons?  From what I remember of the BR era, and I don't see why it would have been different in the pre-grouping era, no two goods wagons in the "same livery" were actually the same shade of colour ... of course that probably wasn't true for the short period while they were still standing fresh out of the paint shop.

I do like these wagons though.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But should it match the rest of your wagons?  From what I remember of the BR era, and I don't see why it would have been different in the pre-grouping era, no two goods wagons in the "same livery" were actually the same shade of colour ... of course that probably wasn't true for the short period while they were still standing fresh out of the paint shop.

I do like these wagons though.

Of course it wouldn't have matched completely as all wagons were painted to a schedule of x amount of years. Also, paint was mixed as required to a specification. To me, the shade of the Maunsell livery of the van posted above doesn't look much darker than the earlier livery on the other van. Even after a few years I cant see the colour wouldn't have aged that much.

Dont get me wrong its an excellent wagon, just would have been nice to see livery samples like we do with other Rails products rather going from nothing to finished samples. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Not too sure about that Maunsell era grey, in my opinion it should be much darker than that, more comparable to GWR grey /closer to the restored examples of SECR wagons.

I think that it was noted in the Southern Wagons book volume 3 on SE & CR wagons, that the Maunsell wagon grey started off very similar to GWR grey. Over time the Maunsell grey got darker and GWR grey got lighter, so the paint obviously had a different chemical composition.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I think that it was noted in the Southern Wagons book volume 3 on SE & CR wagons, that the Maunsell wagon grey started off very similar to GWR grey. Over time the Maunsell grey got darker and GWR grey got lighter, so the paint obviously had a different chemical composition.

All the best

Ray

Just as Maunsell grey locos are said to have grown darker.

That the GWR wagons grew lighter is supported by what I understand they do at Didcot.  I believe that the official mix was 7 parts black to 1 part white, but I heard that Didcot doubles up on the black to take account of fading.  

The Wainwright grey is towards the lighter end of the range of likely shade, but the Maunsell could do with being a bit darker.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I would have thought that the Maunsell grey had some blue in it, probably the GWR as well.

Where would that blue come from? The theory, as I understand it, is that before the 1930s or thereabouts, all these wagon greys were white lead with varying amounts of black - lamp black (soot) or similar - mixed in, along with thinners and driers such as linseed oil and turpentine. Those would impart a yellowish tinge, if anything. A hint of blue comes in with substitute pigments for the white lead such as zinc white.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hum. From covered wagons to open-topped warrior maidens* - how did we manage that?

*I had the misfortune to see that filum the other day. I can't recall - is she supposed to be a maiden or is that too straight-laced for this day and age?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hum. From covered wagons to open-topped warrior maidens* - how did we manage that?

*I had the misfortune to see that filum the other day. I can't recall - is she supposed to be a maiden or is that too straight-laced for this day and age?

Yes.  I've also seen that filum.

Good soundtrack.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2021 at 21:28, Compound2632 said:

Where would that blue come from? The theory, as I understand it, is that before the 1930s or thereabouts, all these wagon greys were white lead with varying amounts of black - lamp black (soot) or similar - mixed in, along with thinners and driers such as linseed oil and turpentine. Those would impart a yellowish tinge, if anything. A hint of blue comes in with substitute pigments for the white lead such as zinc white.

Being a Midland man, I would have thought you might have known that - LMS grey had Ultramarine blue in it from 1935. As ultramarine had been used as a pigment since 14/15th century, it could just as easily have been used by pre-grouping companies. Not saying it definitely was, just that it is a practical possibility.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 57xx said:

Being a Midland man, I would have thought you might have known that - LMS grey had Ultramarine blue in it from 1935. As ultramarine had been used as a pigment since 14/15th century, it could just as easily have been used by pre-grouping companies. Not saying it definitely was, just that it is a practical possibility.

No, I don't really know about anything that late. (As late as 1935 that is, not the 14th century.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 57xx said:

Medieval ultramarine was made from ground up lapis lazuli which made it a bit expensive to paint wagons with. Luckily a synthetic substitute was invented in 1814. 

• RMweb Premium

Ultramarine and Prussian blue:

image.png.5c11514118d44e9ca6bc0e96024d300d.png

I'm not sure whether using synthetic ultramarine would have sat well with the Pre-Raphaelite aesthetic, but I read that Prussian blue was the first synthetic pigment, introduced early in the 18th century.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 07:21, Compound2632 said:

Ultramarine and Prussian blue:

image.png.5c11514118d44e9ca6bc0e96024d300d.png

I'm not sure whether using synthetic ultramarine would have sat well with the Pre-Raphaelite aesthetic, but I read that Prussian blue was the first synthetic pigment, introduced early in the 18th century.

She obviously knows he has spent more money on toy trains!  Looks like it is the gardener's lucky day!

• Funny 6

Guest Jack Benson

Apologies for this ‘me too’ post but just wanted to express my thanks to Oliver and Rails for the content of this morning’s parcel.

The challenge will be to replicate the faded and careworn condition of our ‘48-52 timeframe but well done to Rails/Dapol for small scale manufacturing in the UK

StaySafe

688B0AF6-153A-4F7C-B28E-53D9343A2856.jpeg.02cd5986231a117366a5252c817c38ca.jpeg

I have a few of the new ones in SECR liveries on the way. It is anyone's guess as to when they will arrive here in Oz - some recent deliveries from Britain have got here in 10 days, some from Germany in anything from 12 days to 3 months! 

I'll be interested to see how these new ones run. I found the one previous example I have was very stiff, although I managed to get the wheels out without breaking anything and drilling the axle boxes out slightly before reinserting the axles. It now runs much more freely. 

I am looking forward to receiving these new variants, appetite whetted by some of the above posts. :) 

• Like 1

My SR-liveried one arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm impressed, it's a nice piece of work.  Yes, the print lines are visible at close-up distance, but not so much at normal layout viewing distance, it's got a decent weight to it compared to normal RTR wagons, and seems to run pretty freely. I'm looking forward to seeing what else Rails might have in the pipeline

I raided my stock boxes for a couple of other vans as a comparison- it's quite a dinky little thing compared to later period vans (Bachmann LNER, and Dapol LMS as a comparison- both in commissioned liveries that would probably look more prototypical on something like the SECR van!), and definitely adds something different to a goods train

000101_1122.JPG

Edited by Invicta
added more
  • Like 2