Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

Just checked mine.

As far as I can see they are all o.k. at the moment. The Wainwright light grey was the only one I did not get as it sold out before I could order it, but the iron door one looks alright.

It could either be a defect in the paint itself or a reaction between the paint and the printer resin.

I recall that Corgie had a problem like this with some of their buses. The one in particular I remember was a Brighton trolleybus which got crazed cream paint of the roof, but I know that there were at least a couple of others. I think in that particular case it was definitely defective paint, or where a second coat of paint was sprayed over the first. That should not be the case with these models as I think that they have only one coat of paint. Does anyone know if these wagons are primed in any way before painting, another possible reaction ?

Thinking about it, it might be a problem with the resin itself, bad mix, whatever, and the cracks in the paint might just be a symptom.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 3

I have a dozen of these wagons (all batches) and just took the first six out of their boxes (they are the same wagons seen in earlier posts). They all have various degrees of cracking in the roof paint work. 

The roofs come off easily so should be possible to clean up, repaint and resolve. Though some do look naturally weathered...

1424_10.jpg.fee793cb2d960007416a39564f3a8d8c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

A gratuitous image of a weathered van, I find it odd that no one has mentioned the disparity between the position of the SR in the prototype image from Wadebridge and the model below.

spacer.png

StaySafe

On 31/08/2021 at 11:20, wainwright1 said:

It could either be a defect in the paint itself or a reaction between the paint and the printer resin.

I recall that Corgie had a problem like this with some of their buses. The one in particular I remember was a Brighton trolleybus which got crazed cream paint of the roof, but I know that there were at least a couple of others. I think in that particular case it was definitely defective paint, or where a second coat of paint was sprayed over the first. That should not be the case with these models as I think that they have only one coat of paint. Does anyone know if these wagons are primed in any way before painting, another possible reaction ?

Just checked mine (SR brown from the second run) and so far no sign of cracking.

I remember the similar problem that Corgi had. As I recall, it was more widespread than just buses- I was a fairly serious diecast car collector from the early 90's to the early 2000's, and have several Corgis from that period with cracked white paint on the roof.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...