Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Sounds like they could be OUT of stock in June ( 2019 ) then ......... Cheers, Rails - what's next ?

Most definitely will be sold out this month, in fact three have just gone to sold out.

We are in the process of looking at potential future models. 

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Most definitely will be sold out this month, in fact three have just gone to sold out.

Thanks for the kick up the jacksie.

Got my order in! :dance_mini:

• Like 2

ORDER BOOK NOW FULL

The order book is currently closed on all version. There is a small possibility a few will become available once in stock but this is not guaranteed.

Many thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered a van.

Updates will continue to follow 

Screenshot_2019-06-04_at_12_21_16.png.e74f17f7b5b64fd643372ac630a1ebd8.png

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

ORDER BOOK NOW FULL

The order book is currently closed on all version. There is a small possibility a few will become available once in stock but this is not guaranteed.

Presumably IF there seemed to be sufficient demand another batch could 'easily' be run off at some time in the future - there's no tooling to wear out after all !

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Nile said:

An early version would be nice.

Definitely an earlier version at least. I run a 1929/1930 layout so even if the N gauge shrink ray was brought out I'd still have to reletter the 1936 SR brown version.

• Agree 1

On 04/06/2019 at 15:50, CarriageShed said:

Definitely an earlier version at least. I run a 1929/1930 layout so even if the N gauge shrink ray was brought out I'd still have to reletter the 1936 SR brown version.

The early version is where my interest lies.  A back-dated details could cover SE&CR and early SR. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The early version is where my interest lies.  A back-dated details could cover SE&CR and early SR. 

I'd second that for SECR back dated and coloured versions.

There are still banners on here advertising the current batch which is sold out.

• Agree 2

On 03/06/2019 at 18:19, Nile said:

An early version would be nice.

On 04/06/2019 at 15:50, CarriageShed said:

I'd suspect a pre-1936 version of the van would be done. There is a photo of an example in departmental use which still has the pre-36 livery on it (p.82 of Southern Wagons Volume Three: SECR Wagons) :)

• Like 1

If Rails are using Gibson Wheels, substituting Mansell type would be no hassle whatsoever - roof vents shouldn't be a problem though there would probably be an extra cost for assembly ........... Hill's brake gear, though, is a little more complex and - so far as R.T.R. models are concerned - would be a first, so there would have to be a proven market before Rails went down that road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

If Rails are using Gibson Wheels, substituting Mansell type would be no hassle whatsoever - roof vents shouldn't be a problem though there would probably be an extra cost for assembly ........... Hill's brake gear, though, is a little more complex and - so far as R.T.R. models are concerned - would be a first, so there would have to be a proven market before Rails went down that road.

At least it will be a 3D print rather than injection moulded.  So if this batch makes money, a batch backdated should be financially possible.

A problem with pre-groupers is that you cannot invent a generic chassis for several wagons and few actually got as far as BR days.

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

A problem with pre-groupers is that you cannot invent a generic chassis for several wagons and few actually got as far as BR days.

Depends on your railway and how 'pre' you're thinking of : some of the lines - not least the S.E.C.R. - were very standardised in their wagonry before 1923.

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Depends on your railway and how 'pre' you're thinking of : some of the lines - not least the S.E.C.R. - were very standardised in their wagonry before 1923.

If you take the last batches of SECR wagons prior to grouping, I would agree but these practically all served as templates for SR designs and differ only in minor details. Many of those made it to BR. Many of the SR ones exist in RTR and whilst they would be great variations for the big two to tool up, it would not worth another manufacturer producing them due to shear visual similarity with the SR versions already out there.

But designs before that share little in common but are equally far more appealing  to the pre grouping modeler though few ever saw BR days.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Why is that a problem?

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

In the SECR's case, only in the few years before grouping. But then the SECR didn't exist for very long before grouping - less than the fleeting quarter-century of the big four - and inherited a very mixed bag from the SER and LCDR. Slater's were on the case long ago - the 9ft wheelbase underframe of their Midland wagon kits is good for some 90,000 wagons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Why is that a problem?

In the SECR's case, only in the few years before grouping. But then the SECR didn't exist for very long before grouping - less than the fleeting quarter-century of the big four - and inherited a very mixed bag from the SER and LCDR. Slater's were on the case long ago - the 9ft wheelbase underframe of their Midland wagon kits is good for some 90,000 wagons.

Fair comment. I can also see a little sharing with certain LBSCR types too with a greater choice into BR days. 

As models gets more accurate, the scope for sharing parts like a complete chassis decreases. If the desired standard is "right wheelbase, and wood solebars, not metal", then there's a lot of scope. If you want all the right  details in all the right places then there's very little scope for sharing, even between vehicles of the same railway. The frames for RCH, 12-ton,  1923-spec mineral-wagons are more standard than most subjects, but there are still variations in builders plates and possibly in things like label clips.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

July's BRM contains an interesting interview with Rails.

(sight of which courtesy of the ladies on the BRM stand at the Great Central - thank you) 

I blurred the image below when I realised you could read the whole article; buy the magazine!

677309668_DSCN1134-Copy(2).JPG.3b9d4e68e740fb16af95cf30ff96d06a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure of the point of such a huge blurred image, TBH.

If the purpose was to (a) indicate its availability, while at the same time (b) preventing people from reading it, a judicious crop would've sufficed.

Edited by truffy
wouldn't you like to know?
  • Agree 1

On 04/06/2019 at 12:24, Oliver Rails said:

ORDER BOOK NOW FULL

Many thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered a van.

Updates will continue to follow 

........... with only a week or so of June ( 2019 ) left, is it, perhaps, time for one of those following updates ?

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

........... with only a week or so of June ( 2019 ) left, is it, perhaps, time for one of those following updates ?

Painting / decoration has commenced and hopefully we should have some images towards the end of the week along with further updates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 1