Bachmann Europe to bring Thomas to the UK & Ireland

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

A similar exercise was carried out on the LMS where the 40 Claughton class locos were 'rebuilt' into Patriot class locos with virtually nothing of the original engine being reused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Patriot_Class

This was simply following in the footsteps of the Midland's 483 Class 4-4-0s, purportedly rebuilds of 19th-century engines; I'm amused how often one sees their design attributed to S.W. Johnson!

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Jack the numberplate up and shove a new loco in

Only works for locomotives with numberplates - the Railway Series engines have tank or tender-side transfer numbers a la late Midland/early LMS.

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Only works for locomotives with numberplates - the Railway Series engines have tank or tender-side transfer numbers a la late Midland/early LMS.

What I should have put was jack up the works plate 

• Agree 1

Only just noticed this thread - good news for me as I am trying to collect them all for the kids. Managed to get the end of line Thomas, Percy, Edward, Annie & Clarabel and some other coaches but scoffing at the prices some want for the others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great news to hear from Bachmann. I have most of the Hornby models of the main character trains from 1980's and they will do me just fine. But I hope that Bachmann will make Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James and Percy as train sets aimed at the younger generations to get them into the hobby as I strongly believe that most of us started off into the model railway hobby that we love and enjoy from a Thomas train set. I got mine in 1985 when Hornby first brought theirs out and its great to see that Bachmann will be filling the void in 2020.

I hope that Bachmann will make new models into our OO scale and not just repackage the HO scale models that are already out ;).

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I hope that Bachmann will make new models into our OO scale and not just repackage the HO scale models that are already out ;).

The point has been made repeatedly (by me, I apologise) that the Bachmann models, in so far as they are to scale when there is no real prototype, are closer to 4 mm/ft than 3.5 mm/ft, with much of the rolling stock being old Mainline OO models repurposed. The Bachmann Thomas and Percy were available in the UK many years ago in faceless versions as part of the "Junior" range.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Given that Bachmann already holds the HO rights I doubt they would do anything other than new packaging to say "OO" on, anything else is duplicating costs to see little return - plus as Compound2632 says its already near enough OO gauge and chances are the market for these models won't really care

51 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think it bears clarifying that in terminology HO and OO are the same gauge but different scales.....

Though in this case the scale of the Bachmann Thomas range has never really been H0.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Well that sums that up nicely! 

I shall be getting some for my collection that I can hopefully pass onto my children when I extend my family. 

Glad to see you getting your priorities right there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since this hasn’t been noted here yet, Daisy has been announced by Bachmann USA. First time any model of Daisy has been produced. I would imagine this one will be a great seller. She has been asked for by modellers for years now. 

• Like 1

The original Daisy was made from a Triang Met. Cam. DMU by the Reverend Awdry himself. There were no Met.Cam. single units in real life, though there were the early Derby Lightweights, modelled by Kirdon. Sodor history could have been different if he'd used one of those models instead!

• RMweb Gold

How can somthing that doesn't really exist be out off scale.

HO or OO does it matter. If you have a high detailed layout and rolling stock to go with, you then put Thomas on it to run and worry about scale.

I think  it may be time to put the trians and get out into the real world for some fresh air. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farren said:

How can somthing that doesn't really exist be out off scale.

HO or OO does it matter. If you have a high detailed layout and rolling stock to go with, you then put Thomas on it to run and worry about scale.

I think  it may be time to put the trians and get out into the real world for some fresh air. 

But all the original models were built to scale of real prototypes.

Are people copying Rev Awdry's modelling or the books/TV series?

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Both avenues, recreating the Reverend’s original idea and the tv series world. I guess a lot depends on your age as to which is the primary memory ;) 

To be honest I like both and I grew up with just the books and saw the Reverend with his railway in London. Although he was a serious man to a little lad, but I expected that like some of the elders in the family, he was also quite happy to talk in depth if you asked questions. I’ve met two of my favourite authors, Rev W Awdry being the earliest, and they both surpassed my expectations and were just really nice people. :) 

• Like 6

Although for their 009/Hoe locos of Rheneas/Skarloey they have based their models of the actual Talyllyn locos rather than the TV series engines. Rusty was a bit more TV series than prototype, but Bachman has for the most part done a very nice job with their narrow gauge stuff so far

• Like 1