Bachmann Europe to bring Thomas to the UK & Ireland

AY Mod

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Maybe not right thread, but the Bachmann US site has the prices for all trains and rolling stock increased by a huge amount. For example: the Bachmann Skarloey was priced at around $100. Now they are showing a price of $155. That is just one example. Bachmann Gordon, now $155

1 hour ago, Ribird said:

Maybe not right thread, but the Bachmann US site has the prices for all trains and rolling stock increased by a huge amount. For example: the Bachmann Skarloey was priced at around $100. Now they are showing a price of $155. That is just one example. Bachmann Gordon, now $155

I suppose much of it has to do with license fees, but then again...how are children supposed to afford these prices? It'll take a long time for them to be able to build a small collection for themselves of they have to rely on their parents to buy it for them.

I see mostly adult collectors being able to afford the vast range.

8 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I suppose much of it has to do with license fees, but then again...how are children supposed to afford these prices? It'll take a long time for them to be able to build a small collection for themselves of they have to rely on their parents to buy it for them.

These price rises could also be to do with the current trade war between China and US.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is a bit of a non announcement to me. The designs are many years old and, if you looked, several traders circumnavigated the trade licence. There was also the Bachmann Harry Plopper set, on the shelf,  with a modified hall. Here is my 5 year old when he had just received his Bachmann goodies with moving eyes etc. To show how old these are, he has just applied to take his driving test!

PA124060.JPG.d5329503fb292a067d749a93ec010781.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

On 03/11/2019 at 03:48, MGR Hooper! said:

Bachmann are definitely aiming for the adult market - see their big new releases for 2020 being the relatively obscure Daisy and Peter Sam as opposed to new main characters of the CGI series Rebecca and Nia.

2 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Bachmann are definitely aiming for the adult market - see their big new releases for 2020 being the relatively obscure Daisy and Peter Sam as opposed to new main characters of the CGI series Rebecca and Nia.

Tbf, Narrow gauge range sells well, mainly due to the 009 market and accurate TR engines, bar Rusty though there is a reason for that, so them making the Skarloey engines and NG stock in general makes sense. And Daisy was very prominent since she was brought back some years ago, until the major change in format last year. But I definitely get what you mean.

On 02/11/2019 at 22:43, Ribird said:

Not really that surprising, Bachmann raises the prices of the main range a bit every year. Though the Bachmann Skarloey has always been that price straight from Bachmann. The prices right from Bachmann have always been ridiculously high, the actual prices from retailers is always much more accurate and fair, and it is mainly due to the license fees.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised by the fact the packaging appears to be unchanged. Thought this would’ve been a good time to make the move to more conventional packaging given the current stuff is...well it’s not good for reselling unless you know the few tricks to remove the model and keep it mostly intact.

Edit: Just found out that they are indeed doing new packaging, though whether it’s just modified from this style or a more conventional style remains to be seen. I’ve also heard that they maybe removing details such as lamp irons for the UK due to the lower age demographic.

Edited by SomethingTrainLover

On 04/11/2019 at 19:13, eldomtom2 said:

Relatively obscure? Daisy and Peter Sam are proper Awdry characters..... ;-)

It may also be that in the case of Peter Sam there's the possibility of releasing it in the main range as Edward Thomas, although they haven't done that with Skarloey and Rheneas (yet).

• Agree 1

Just now, RJS1977 said:

Relatively obscure? Daisy and Peter Sam are proper Awdry characters..... ;-)

It may also be that in the case of Peter Sam there's the possibility of releasing it in the main range as Edward Thomas, although they haven't done that with Skarloey and Rheneas (yet).

Nah, due to how the licensing is, and doubly because Mattel was the one who effectively commissioned Bachmann to make the NG engines, Bachmann can’t reuse the toolings for the engines to make the TR engines for their main range.

12 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Edit: Just found out that they are indeed doing new packaging, though whether it’s just modified from this style or a more conventional style remains to be seen. I’ve also heard that they maybe removing details such as lamp irons for the UK due to the lower age demographic. 

May I ask how you found this out?

• Administrators
On 24/11/2019 at 22:55, eldomtom2 said:

I am surprised at the inclusion of the G Scale range; I was under the impression it had somewhat underperformed.

Talking to the large scale trade, they are very happy with it. When it was suggested that the range was being dropped, there were complaints. This wasn't true, it was just a re-packaging exercise. A new brake van swiftly joined the line.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...