Hornby OO 3-Rail

wilsoh

Hi All,

Myself and a friend are currently building a H.D. 3-Rail layout and have been given a Trix-Twin Britannia Loco.

Will it run on H.D. 3-Rail Track?

Regards

Howard Wilson (Cleveland Model Railway Club)

11 minutes ago, wilsoh said:

Hi All,

Myself and a friend are currently building a H.D. 3-Rail layout and have been given a Trix-Twin Britannia Loco.

Will it run on H.D. 3-Rail Track?

Regards

Howard Wilson (Cleveland Model Railway Club)

It certainly will - when I was at secondary school we built a exhibition layout that combined Trix-Twin and Hornby Dublo 3-rail track and stock.

With Hornby Dublo, the two running rails are connected electrically - only the centre rail is electrically insulated.

Trix-Twin has all three rails electrically insulated from each other, so that two locos can run under independant control on the same track; each having the return current via different rails.

A Trix-Twin loco running on HD track will pick up from the centre rail and the return current will by via the wheels on one side; (unless you modify it to electrically connect the wheels on both sides).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John, Thanks for the swift reply.

I seem to recall that early Trix-Twin Locos ran on A C current before changing to the more common D C.

How do I tell which my loco is designed for?

Regards

Howard Wilson

19 minutes ago, wilsoh said:

Hi John, Thanks for the swift reply.

I seem to recall that early Trix-Twin Locos ran on A C current before changing to the more common D C.

How do I tell which my loco is designed for?

Regards

Howard Wilson

I'm open to correction, but I don't think that the Britannia was produced for AC; a quick check with 12vDC shouldn't do it any harm, though.

If in doubt, consult these guys :-

http://www.ttrca.co.uk/index.html

http://www.trix.co.uk/

Regards,

John Isherwood.