May 2019 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Happy Easter folks! Adding to the celebrations is our May issue of BRM, on-sale as a digital edition from midnight tonight. Print copies will be available from April 25.

If you're a fan of small industrial layouts, and those that follow the theme of quarrying, you'll hopefully find our 16-page 'Quarry Special' inside of interest.

LAYOUTS

Charwelton (OO) The challenge of re-inventing this exhibition layout saw a transformation of its era, too.

upload.jpg.f5b4ec07efb28e635e35d6cbc9756669.jpg

Burton On Trent (N) This iconic brewing location is the subject for this finescale model.

forupload.jpg.e63a7a5383db8f2d4538ddd81353320a.jpg

United Mills (P4) A lack of modelling enthusiasm was soon rekindled with the acquisition of this cameo layout.

forupload.jpg.bbe8356eccbb37eb18192d278b4522cb.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM
How to... personalise a DJM J94. Phil Parker adds detail to this Cromford and High Peak Railway locomotive.

for_upload.jpg.cc3654ab30466af4f7a059f53f8f20fd.jpg

Make a quarry transfer - top tips for making this dual-gauge photographic diorama:

for_upload.jpg.288efee8ec7db5d0b361ef3fbe11a39f.jpg

- Billy Bookcase layouts: advice for laying track

for_upload.jpg.f23ccb1704110f3e77b4968cf6f2adf7.jpg

How to... create a virtual control panel. Tired of re-designing your control panel every time you add a switch? Here's a digital solution...

Plus, build a mini chalet kit. A kit that changes the way we think about making models of our buildings.

PRODUCTS, FEATURES & REVIEWS
Looking to build a compact layout? Here are some options with scale plans for you to consider, all based around quarries...

forupload.jpg.4849fedb65d01a4d3560cd087c4eb99d.jpg

Modelling the Cromford and High Peak Railway. A history of this famed network of lines and how you can model it - plans and 3D illustration inside!

forupload.jpg.2bb2941443e11d68bebbe797725bb315.jpg

Ally Pally show highlights: Didn't attend our biggest branded event of the year? Here's what you missed...

forupload.jpg.f7f15b9f22e8dc7ee3ff0403784f1e7a.jpg

Review: Hornby 0-6-0T 'Terrier'

993068407_forupload.jpg.f536763b617b08eb14ff5ce5b9713fb2.jpg

Review: Dapol 9ft wheelbase wagons

for_upload.jpg.4c7aadbb9e56aea9d3614317ff8172a0.jpg

Review: Kernow MRC D6XX 'Warship'

forupload.jpg.e3188f863855d609b3ff7f12572cc17c.jpg

Review: Oxford Rail Gun

forupload.jpg.f6be543dc4a8c5dd4a82416f2f9f3e4f.jpg

Review: Hatton's RHTT wagons

for_upload.jpg.79e0b2983e94fd088e3ea20647f29624.jpg

Review: Dapol Class 142

for_upload.jpg.c238c8e900c9e55e9f1d5bcd260a1894.jpg

Review: Accurascale Cemflo Wagons

1532644348_forupload.jpg.a6b4306af5dbcc6f330332e28056f519.jpg

Tail Lamp: Kernow Model Rail Centre. At a time when physical model shops are feeling pressures, Chris Trerise of Kernow Model Rail Centre explains why opening a second store in Guildford, makes sense.

On-sale as a digital edition from www.pocketmags.com or in stores from April 25.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looks like a good issue; very selfishly, there is lots of interest for me in the form of the J94 article, the compact quarry layout ideas, the Billy Bookcase layouts and the C&HP railway. All right up my street I would imagine. I will have to hunt out a copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Howard Smith said:

- Billy Bookcase layouts: advice for laying track

for_upload.jpg.f23ccb1704110f3e77b4968cf6f2adf7.jpg

Somehow that photo isn't very convincing when taken out of context :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2019 at 12:11, Mikkel said:

Somehow that photo isn't very convincing when taken out of context :D

On 19/04/2019 at 15:52, Phil Parker said:

They wouldn't let me use a nailgun...

I don't know. Some people are such spoilsports.

This "health & safety" / "liability" malarkey takes the fun out of everything these days ... .

Huw Griffiths  (whose last job included far too much health and safety enforcement for his liking).

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Funny 1

• Moderators

And, in this episode of BRM TV, exclusive to BRM print and digital subscribers...

BRM_DVD_Jacket_May.jpg.a7cdf180a19b542b4ca16527b496aed4.jpg

Fans of BR blue, rejoice! Our layout of the month from this issue, 'Charwelton' has many - now you can watch them in action.

Phil assembles a resin building kit, demonstrating key techniques when using the medium:

1other.jpg.a9d4d23e5f6505b07aeccc775438ac41.jpg

I paint this little etched-brass platelayer's hut kit (built on last month's episode) to test Lifecolor's Wood effect paints:

2.jpg.d4e731a538b80606194747b1489bc6fd.jpg

Subscribe to BRM here, so you don't miss out!

Happy viewing

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

When is this issue on release as a hard copy? Our local WHS can only supply April 2019......

Cheers

Jack

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

When is this issue on release as a hard copy? Our local WHS can only supply April 2019......

It's available in shops from Thursday.

Guest Jack Benson
22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's available in shops from Thursday.

Sir,

Very many thanks, looking forward to a visit to WHS

Cheers

Jack

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Dangg said:

Anyone's issue turned up in the post yet?

My subs copy hasn't dropped through the door yet, it's the effect of two bank holidays when they're normally in transit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

My subs copy hasn't dropped through the door yet, it's the effect of two bank holidays when they're normally in transit.

Thanks. I thought it might be due to the bank hols 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My subs copy arrived this morning. Apparently,  the postal service to York Towers is slower than elsewhere.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Another cracking issue from the look of it: 148 pages of stunning quality once again (+ DVD) is quite fantastic*, and it looks like there are some compelling articles to read (the test for me is if a topic that's not a personal interest still grabs my attention - the quarry features do that this month, based on an early perusal of the digital edition).

We often read comment on how R-T-R models have leaped in quality in recent years, I think we should give credit to the advances in publishing in the same way - from where I sit the team have done a fantastic job once again.  Quite how I'll find time to read it all - and attempt any modelling - before 4-weeks has flown past again is the challenge.  Thank you to all.

*The adverts are worth reading too, I find.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

As one of BRM's proof-reader these days, I must apologise to Andy York for slightly altering a date in his excellent review of the NB 'Warship' in the latest issue. The first one was actually introduced in the year before the first Bo-Bo 'Warships' appeared, but was not delivered to the WR until the same year. 

We try to get facts correct, but in this case I got one slightly muddled. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Thanks 1

Proof reading needs to include trying web links.

On page 86 link to the behind the scenes tour of the Bachmann stand does not work.

WWW.BRMM.AG/BACH-MANNTOUR does not work. tried it with out the hyphen  which could be a formatting issue also does not work.

4 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

Proof reading needs to include trying web links.

On page 86 link to the behind the scenes tour of the Bachmann stand does not work.

WWW.BRMM.AG/BACH-MANNTOUR does not work. tried it with out the hyphen  which could be a formatting issue also does not work.

I'm afraid that's not my responsibility (anyone who knows me will know why!). 

Regarding proof-reading, it would seem I don't know my prefixes from my suffixes! Who reads what the proof-reader has written? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1