Last HST Passenger Services from London Paddington, Saturday May 18th 2019

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from Paddington from the “very last” HST today, 43198/002 ran a charity tour from Bristol - Paddington - Camarthen - Paddington - Bristol.

an excellent send off, witnessed by a much smaller crowd.

Apparently 43002 is to be defueled tomorrow and all fluids drained, ready for road transport to the NRM next week... so thats really it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just returned from Paddington from the “very last” HST today, 43198/002 ran a charity tour from Bristol - Paddington - Camarthen - Paddington - Bristol.

an excellent send off, witnessed by a much smaller crowd.

Apparently 43002 is to be defueled tomorrow and all fluids drained, ready for road transport to the NRM next week... so thats really it.

That was quick, I thought that this was staying in service for a bit. Even though I am no HST fan I am glad I got haulage in for this one and 185 while in service. 

• RMweb Premium

If I may, my selection of The Flying Banana photos.

43198 arrives at Chippenham with the first leg of the tour

DSCN1411b_edited.jpg.cdcf4eb9bc53b2106c17f74964359332.jpg

Many miles later 43002 heads through Kemble with the Carmarthen to Paddington (via Gloucester) leg

DSCN1438b_edited.jpg.6b26c506181f8474d1735008112a188c.jpg

And finally, finally, 43198 horns blaring all the time rounds the curve at Crofton

DSCN1458b_edited.jpg.9ee988c28f884bed9ba0ea3d1826a934.jpg

Apparently 43002 had another of its "moments" at Reading on the final trip, so a pair of power cars was scrambled from Bristol to assist. By Taunton 43002 was powering again and the rescue pair were turned back at Weston-s-Mare. Whether '002 was working as it passed me I have no idea, all i could hear was air horns!

Great Western Railway have given these a fine send off; they could have just let them disappear off lease without comment.

Edited by HillsideDepot
spelling
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Here's my video from Paddington last night, one just wasn't enough so afterwards, I needed a "fix" for my withdrawal symptons and headed to Kings Cross.. where an EMT HST, NRM Power car and another two EC HSTs made me feel better !

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

Apparently 43002 had another of its "moments" at Reading on the final trip, so a pair of power cars was scrambled from Bristol to assist. By Taunton 43002 was powering again and the rescue pair were turned back at Weston-s-Mare. Whether '002 was working as it passed me I have no idea, all i could hear was air horns!

Great Western Railway have given these a fine send off; they could have just let them disappear off lease without comment.

43002 shut down running into Reading from Carmarthen, it was started up at Readingbut shut down immediately so the train ran into Paddington OEO, after being allowed to cool down it was restarted and behaved itself all the way to Plymouth (not Bristol as posted above) on the last part of the day, 

It did the Paddington to Plymouth run in 3 hours, 1 minute and a few seconds.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you want to continue to get your hst pictures fix. I have a HST photo and video feed. All hsts from all areas. 

If if you’d like a look here’s the link to the first page.