Handy link to SDJR locos

Guest Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, Jack, that's just saved me an awful lot of work and time as I was contemplating recently going through all of my S&D books and listing the locos (already bought a nice notebook for this purpose) so that I could compare it with locos seen around the heart of the West Riding (Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield areas anyway) to see if there were any suitable suspects for 'joint' modelling. I model in 3mm scale and have a layout of Masbury on the S&DJR but am also planning a WR loco shed type layout, using Ilkley shed trackplan as a rough starting point (already have an aquired model of the engine shed.)

So far I am only aware of Ivatt 41241 which transferred to Skipton to end out it's BR days before becoming a household celebrity on the K&WVR, but I shall be looking at the list of the 9F's and a few of the Standards very closely.

Kind regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bike2steam said:

Thanks for that, there used to be an S&D site with a similar list which for some reason got 'pulled' from the 'net', but it's useful to have a list like that. :D 

Usually its something like the owner died/got old/lost interest.

My Great Grandfather, Nathan Thompson had his Obituary on Waterguard.Org which sadly disappeared

If anyone can find it I would be most grateful

4 hours ago, 03060 said:

Many thanks, Jack, that's just saved me an awful lot of work and time as I was contemplating recently going through all of my S&D books and listing the locos (already bought a nice notebook for this purpose) so that I could compare it with locos seen around the heart of the West Riding (Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield areas anyway) to see if there were any suitable suspects for 'joint' modelling. I model in 3mm scale and have a layout of Masbury on the S&DJR but am also planning a WR loco shed type layout, using Ilkley shed trackplan as a rough starting point (already have an aquired model of the engine shed.)

So far I am only aware of Ivatt 41241 which transferred to Skipton to end out it's BR days before becoming a household celebrity on the K&WVR, but I shall be looking at the list of the 9F's and a few of the Standards very closely.

Kind regards,

Ian.

It depends how much effort you want to put into checking that list. There are definitely some Standards that were shedded in your area before/after running on the SDJR. And one of the 8Fs caught my eye on a quick scan - 48730 ended up at Rose Grove in 1968, and could have visited Wakefield.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2019 at 12:15, 03060 said:

Kind regards,

Ian.

Try 92001. Bath GP 1962.  Wakefield 1965.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2019 at 14:49, johnofwessex said:

Usually its something like the owner died/got old/lost interest.

My Great Grandfather, Nathan Thompson had his Obituary on Waterguard.Org which sadly disappeared

If anyone can find it I would be most grateful

Have you tried the Wayback Machine?

https://archive.org/web/

• 2 months later...
On 19/04/2019 at 09:34, Jack Benson said:

My apologies if everyone is aware of the link however I found it most useful.

It should be noted that not all 'visitors' to the line are listed.

Locomotives on the S&DJR 1950+

Cheers

Jack Benson

That is excellent thanks, i have a loco on that list that i didnt even know ran the S&D. admittedly 43924 is listed as noted on the line but still, thats good news to me.

• RMweb Premium

Couple of further additions to the S&D visitors list:

35023  Worked 28/3/65 Southern Counties railtour from Bournemouth to Templecombe.  See S&D Remembered Highbridge to Bournemouth by Hugh Ballantyne page 45.

73082  photographed it at Blandford on 1/4/64 on the 4.13 Evercreech to Bournemouth.

• RMweb Gold

I uploaded some of Dad's spotting logs for the Bournemouth West group, of locos in that general area. You can find them at 

Looking very briefly through his log book for 1962-3, I spotted a couple of engines not in the list at the top. One I spotted early on I didn't note*, but 2247 was on a Templecombe to Highbridge service on 4.9.1963. *As I dived into the book at random, I haven't been able to back track and find it yet. Should I do so later, I shall return with the info.!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2019 at 20:17, tingleytim said:

Couple of further additions to the S&D visitors list:

35023  Worked 28/3/65 Southern Counties railtour from Bournemouth to Templecombe.  See S&D Remembered Highbridge to Bournemouth by Hugh Ballantyne page 45.

73082  photographed it at Blandford on 1/4/64 on the 4.13 Evercreech to Bournemouth.

You post something and the very next day you find you were wrong!  Contrary to Hugh Ballantyne’s caption, a Facebook posting https://www.facebook.com/groups/545471755582028/ showing 35023 at Templecombe shed stated that the Southern Counties railtour arrived at Templecombe from Bournemouth behind 73022.  35023 was there for the run back to London via Salisbury.  This is confirmed by http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/  So 35023 did run on the S&D but only from Templecombe Upper to No. 3 Junction and the shed.  Hornby’s model would look good on my “Templecombe Lower”.  Will I rush out and buy it?  Probably not.