Drawings/Plans for a BR GUV

I'm thinking of having a go at scratch building a standard BR GUV in O gauge as I refuse to pay £350 for one from one of the retailers.
Would anyone be able to advise me where I could get the drawings/plans for one

Edited by StuartM
typo

The Parkin book is the bible of MK1 stock

Non Gangwayed Utility Van Page 201. It is not the biggest of drawings, but I have been using a similar one from some Jenkinson books to draw up a 1st Class Sleeper in O

Edited by Park
Reviewed the book
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Park said:

The Parkin book is the bible of MK1 stock

Non Gangwayed Utility Van Page 201. It is not the biggest of drawings, but I have been using a similar one from some Jenkinson books to draw up a 1st Class Sleeper in O

I can find no reference to this book on Amazon, do you have a link?

• RMweb Premium

Model Trains International Issue 22 has drawings in 2mm, 3mm, 3.5mm and 4mm.

I do recall a 7mm drawing in the Modeller, late-5os/early-60s?? I'd need to dig out the NPCCS folder in the shed to check, will try and do so over the weekend.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The book is by Keith Parkin and is a really good read if you are into BR coaching stock. Prices can be a bit crazy unless you are lucky as I saw a few copies at ScaleFour the other week

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/british-railways-mark-1-coaches/author/parkin-keith/

There was me thinking Easi-Build but they only do the BG. If you are brave PRMRP do a GUV for £78.65, but if you are contemplating scratch building it would be a good base

Edited by Park

• RMweb Premium

The Parkin book is good, but you can scale up a 4mm model for some sizes, also BR use standard size components, like 2 foot wide doors.

A BG would provide a roof and underframe, pictures would help on details, sides and ends are flat

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, markjj said:

Why not buy one of these? I doubt you could scratch build anything better for much less. All the detail in total accuracy is already done for you you wont need a separate drawing either.......

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18281&cat=321&page=1

I am tryig to resist the temptation to having a dabble in 7mm, but sometimes things come along which severely test my resolve!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I am tryig to resist the temptation to having a dabble in 7mm, but sometimes things come along which severely test my resolve!

Mike.

Buy one you wont regret it there is even an excellent online build of it to.

You wont build it overnight but I defy anyone to scratch build a better one.

Oh and Slaters do a lovely set of wheels to suit as well.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, markjj said:

Buy one you wont regret it there is even an excellent online build of it to.

You wont build it overnight but I defy anyone to scratch build a better one.

Oh and Slaters do a lovely set of wheels to suit as well.

STOP IT!!!!!!!

Mike.

23 hours ago, Park said:

The book is by Keith Parkin and is a really good read if you are into BR coaching stock. Prices can be a bit crazy unless you are lucky as I saw a few copies at ScaleFour the other week

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/british-railways-mark-1-coaches/author/parkin-keith/

There was me thinking Easi-Build but they only do the BG. If you are brave PRMRP do a GUV for £78.65, but if you are contemplating scratch building it would be a good base

Being new to 7mm I did not now this small manufacture existed, but looking at their GUV at that price, this may be a viable route to explore, thank you for the advice

17 hours ago, Park said:

Or just go to Tower Models and buy a RTR Heljan GUV for £169, job done :preved:

Because they've sold out of blue ones and I want a blue one, other wise probably a good call

7 hours ago, StuartM said:

Hi Mike,
Do you have a link to so photos and prices?

Yes, they’re £5 a pair with £1.50 p&p

Me and my dad scratchbuilt a GUV quite a few years back out of plasticard. I’ll find it and take a photo

michael 

C75086AF-C751-4650-B7BE-BA20E777D377.jpeg

• Thanks 1

By way of information and price comparison, the former Just Like The Real Thing resin bodied GUV kit is now available again through MM1 Models: https://mm1models.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=108_115&product_id=544 at £245 with choice of bogie types.

If you access the Gauge O Guild website then go to the Products Directory database - selecting the search criteria 'Non-passenger Coaching Stock' in Product Group and 'British Railways' in Railway/Originating Co. and then pressing SEARCH will return a wide selection of BG, GUV and CCT kits and parts...

https://www.gauge0guild.com/products/Products_search.aspx

Edited by Pint of Adnams
Additional source of product information...
  • Thanks 1

The Westdale one is the best Guv by far.  I got one from him a couple of years ago but he thought that the mould wouldn't make many more. Might be worth a phone call though.  There have been a couple of threads on here previously with much valuable information and advice.  A search should locate them.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

The Westdale one is the best Guv by far.

He still does them for under £100 when I asked a few months back, but you have to arrange to meet up.

Edited by Hal Nail