Kingsmill (Midland Road) TMD BR Blue

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

It's looking fantastic!

At the moment I'm  just grabbing the odd hour here and there in the evening (usually while the better half is watching Corrie)

I've booked a few days off work next month so I'll be able to get quite a bit done.......hopefully

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Looks great Andy, can I hire you for my fencing mission? :D

Cheers Scott, Just bought another 4ft of it this evening, I recon I'll need about 8ft in total, and it ain't cheap.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Scott, Just bought another 4ft of it this evening, I recon I'll need about 8ft in total, and it ain't cheap.

Worth it though as it definitely looks the part

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

IMG_7763.JPG.4ca7a3428269552f7e4249099c3d4148.JPG

Andy,

Looks really good mate - totally changes the scene.  From the pictures, is it just a form of chicken wire (meshing?) that you've put down to create the embankment sides, then painted over and flocked it?  Also if you dont mind me asking - how have you done the rocks that are just visible on the above picture? I cannot see any reference in the text or previous pictures, but that looks so realistic and totally spot on.

Rich

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

Looks really good mate - totally changes the scene.  From the pictures, is it just a form of chicken wire (meshing?) that you've put down to create the embankment sides, then painted over and flocked it?  Also if you dont mind me asking - how have you done the rocks that are just visible on the above picture? I cannot see any reference in the text or previous pictures, but that looks so realistic and totally spot on.

Rich

Hi Rich, No trickery, Magic or special tools employed here mate.

The mesh came via a second hand stall at a show, and is basically A4 in size, very fine, in fact I bought it for the 0 Gauge fencing, but had forgotten about that until after I'd used it, BU66ER, . I think originally it may have been sold as a filler for Car Body repairs.

It was laid over some wood formers as can be seen in some shots of the outer edge, and then I just used 3 inch wide Masking Tape and PVA to build up a shell for the Flock, once dry this forms a nice light very hard shell to work on.

The Rock face is a happy accident. The Masking Tape was over lapped and layered as I built up about 5 thickness's and as it was on a vertical plane just rippled a little and has come out quite nice. Had I known it would have this effect I would have used Grey and not Brown in the PVA mix for fixing the flock in this area, and it would have stood out more. I may therefore either re hand paint it, or Air Brush it and then re flock this area later.

When flocking, the PVA only goes on to the upper facing surfaces, so ends up forming a Strata looking Rock formation and is very effective.551055397_IMG_7759-Copy.JPG.b87d5d16fe57ba619f58bef108b966ff.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG.7e0713ba92f9beb2c2b56bf847f88515.JPG

671251869_IMG_7770-Copy.JPG.f871cb90eede695172dd32a72ed11390.JPG

Hope this all helps to explain what was a simple five minute job with the Masking Tape and has turned out rather well.

Cheers.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

37 minutes ago, fishytrains said:

Andy,  from the photos, I don’t think you need to re paint the rocks, as they look pretty natural to me.

Mike

Thanks, the more I look at them the happier I am with them.

Cheers.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:22, Andrew P said:

Having look long and hard at the pic below from the previous set, I wasn't totally happy with the amount of Grass on the single siding, so whilst it was still wet, I went back out, scraped off some and re ballasted it, now much happier with it.

As it was.

IMG_7762.JPG.c05728265b4e218c9364b32d9f6d9e89.JPG

And now.

IMG_7766.JPG.de8c09126f4e98f401b96609256153aa.JPG

Realy coming along treat this Andy...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Back after the absence that is explained here; as Posted in SMS on 21st May.

It's been a difficult weekend since getting home from Manchester on Saturday, Mum took a turn for the worst late on Saturday,  and having sat beside her for most of Saturday night and all day Sunday / Monday morning, she eventually lost the fight at 2am Monday morning, going peacefully in her sleep.

Yesterday after a little sleep myself, I managed to get almost everything sorted with the relevant people etc. I have a meeting tomorrow with the Funeral Directors, but Mum being Mum, it's all sorted and paid for, with just some final arrangements to put in place.

You will understand that I am less bubbly than normal at the moment, but PLEASE, no actual post regarding this on here, as all I wanted to do was to explain why I will no longer be saying; after visiting Mum this morning, etc.

• Friendly/supportive 11

A couple of little jobs again this morning as we have Family visiting for the weekend.

Firstly re sprayed the end Warehouse Grey using Railmatch Railfreight light Grey.

Also added some more fencing and foliage.

IMG_7808.JPG.e9b27639ab519d9837200dc846dcdc7d.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG.6a936ba24af17f9e484f6ad3434539c8.JPG

IMG_7810.JPG.8f4f26a0f16e4e6bf7c7b73477352f86.JPG

IMG_7811.JPG.f126cf1c060e01cc0f959c8c44161e13.JPG

IMG_7812.JPG.53f680cc1e8f744840115ddf21f7228d.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG.f1a01d2ddc8db2c2f3955162a8cad3b7.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I’m really liking this layout it looks superb

Although it’s come together very quickly it doesn’t look rushed which I appreciate is attributed to very good planning and skilled craftsmenship

It’s that good part of me wishes I’d opted for diesel era so I really should pull my finger out with my current layout

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Then I cut away the front embankment to allow room for a small industry or a used Car Lot for more scenic treatment.

Doing that has really opened up the view, it looks a lot better. I would be tempted just to leave it as open wasteland with just some old foundations and general rubbish or something - maybe even the remains of an old trackbed from a kickback siding from the fuel road?

Coming on a treat Andy, really looking good.

Al.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m really liking this layout it looks superb

Although it’s come together very quickly it doesn’t look rushed which I appreciate is attributed to very good planning and skilled craftsmenship

It’s that good part of me wishes I’d opted for diesel era so I really should pull my finger out with my current layout

Thanks for the kind comments, as for not rushing and good planning, well a good planner would NOT have done the Warehouse in Red Oxide, or built and grassed an embankment that later had to come out, but I still live and learn with every Layout build, and enjoy doing the changes that improve things along the way.

As for the Diesel era, well again, I'm glad I decided to stick with Diesels, but if you check out my West Shed Layout, you will see that again, with a little planning, you can get away with Steam, Transition and Blue periods.

Good luck.