Respray a class 16 into BR blue

brenn

54 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Do you really want to do that? Neither of these classes were ever painted in BR blue/given tops numbers.

Izzy

Sounds like a perfect reason to do it to me. Rail freight red stripe or engineers Dutch would seem a logical choice too. Same reason I've got a Cotswolds Rail 58...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Brenn, I suspect that by the time you've paid for this work to be done, you could have bought yourself a decent airbrush and compressor, with a fair amount of change as well.

BR railblue is one of the easiest liveries to spray, just do the yellow ends first, then mask off when dry and everything else is blue. No fiddly lining or stripes either.

Plus, you'll have the kit and some skills to tackle any other jobs you fancy in future.

John.

• Agree 1

Several class 15s made rail blue. None got anywhere near TOPS though being withdrawn between 1968 and 1971. 

One 15 received railfreight red stripe livery and TOPS 15033 in preservation!

Edited by ianmacc
Added reference to 15033.
  • Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

No Class 15's made it to BR Blue in active service, some received fully yellow ends and double arrow, but none carried blue paint

• RMweb Gold

Considering they lasted to 71, its surprising that none ever made blue. I do wonder if some had late green repaints when they gained double arrows and TOPS style numbers.

I was easy to think that some got blue as in black and white pictures the aforementioned locos look blue 

We're straying off topic a bit, but I suspect the example that really throws people is D8234. This was the Liverpool Street pilot and kept in immaculate condition by Stratford right to the end. It was one of those with double arrows and full yellow ends, so in B&W people may well have assumed it to be in blue.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I asked my original question re the desire for rail blue/tops because as well as never having it, although I believe the 15’s were allocated tops numbers which never got applied, I don’t think the 16’s even got this far, so generating creditable tops numbers could be difficult. Perhaps the OP knows all this and isn’t bothered, in which case I apologise, but a commercial re-painter might have the same queries/concerns.

Izzy

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I asked my original question re the desire for rail blue/tops because as well as never having it, although I believe the 15’s were allocated tops numbers which never got applied, I don’t think the 16’s even got this far, so generating creditable tops numbers could be difficult. Perhaps the OP knows all this and isn’t bothered, in which case I apologise, but a commercial re-painter might have the same queries/concerns.

Izzy

I can't imagine a commercial re-spray company would share your queries so long as the money is right.
And everyone saying that it's not prototypical is forgetting rules 1 and 2 - "it's a hobby" and "I'll run what I like".

• Agree 2

Guest teacupteacup
2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Izzy

One of my friends is repainting his Class 15 into a supposed 1960's Caledonian Railway livery, imagining that the grouping nor nationalisation took place.  Same with a Class 24.

On 20/04/2019 at 11:09, John Tomlinson said:

Brenn, I suspect that by the time you've paid for this work to be done, you could have bought yourself a decent airbrush and compressor, with a fair amount of change as well.

BR railblue is one of the easiest liveries to spray, just do the yellow ends first, then mask off when dry and everything else is blue. No fiddly lining or stripes either.

Plus, you'll have the kit and some skills to tackle any other jobs you fancy in future.

John.

Thanks John,

I have the kit...lots of it....... which is very busy at the moment as my son has gone Airfix mad which i'm pleased about, so i'm letting him develop his skills.

I seen the Train4U loco i thought that's just what I want and been meaning to do to number of locos,,,15...16...23...29...(when it comes out)...41...42...43..........my plan is the have a mythical fleet of Br Blue tops, code domino dot locos regardless of is they ran in that livery or not.

I just don't have the time at the moment to practice to get the standard i think someone else could be commissioned to achieve.. 

BW

Mike

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/04/2019 at 11:41, ianmacc said:

Several class 15s made rail blue. None got anywhere near TOPS though being withdrawn between 1968 and 1971. 

One 15 received railfreight red stripe livery and TOPS 15033 in preservation!

I don't think any 15 or 16 did make it in to Br Blue...if they did i have seen any photos.....Br Arrow yeah...bur not blue paint

BW

Brenn

On 20/04/2019 at 13:04, Izzy said:

Izzy

Hi Izzy,

I'm aware of the fact that they didn't get to post 73 state (tops numbers/Blue/yellow paint) but that is the point.  I want to create some locos as i would have like to see them. I intend, if all goes well to get the 15, 23 x2 done also

BW

Brenn

• Thanks 1

Yep that's the plan...Blue/yellow...tops numbers with shed codes.....I'm even considering adding head code boxes with domino dot blinds:blink:............

I will be converting the warships 41,42,43 to tops numbers and  have domino blinds. I have a blue 14 which i plan to shunter strip with domino blinds. I'm going to see what can be achieved by out sourcing the work just because i don't have the time presently and what time i have i need for the construction of a new layout.

BW

B  

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/04/2019 at 13:17, brenn said:

I don't think any 15 or 16 did make it in to Br Blue...if they did i have seen any photos.....Br Arrow yeah...bur not blue paint

BW

Brenn

Interesting; you could be right. Surprising given they made 1971 when at least one of other classes received it ie 17 21 22 23 28 29 ‘41’ 42 43 ‘70’ and 77 despite being withdrawn in the same period or earlier! 

33 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Interesting; you could be right. Surprising given they made 1971 when at least one of other classes received it ie 17 21 22 23 28 29 ‘41’ 42 43 ‘70’ and 77 despite being withdrawn in the same period or earlier! 

That the big plan every class of diesels in TOPS numbers with Blue Yellow paint. I may get head code panels added with domino dot blinds even if they didn't have them as i think that had they lasted that might of happened....there is precedent for this line of thinking...29....41 but some others are pushing it, such as the 76,77.

thanks for reminding me about the 77 as i need to pick 1 of those up cheaply if the results of the 16 goes well.

B

One 14 received Rail Blue and TOPS 14029 in preservation along with domino headcodes. It was used as such in an episode of London’s burning! 

Regarding someone’s comment about how to number it would be easy enough. Using the 16s as an example D8401 to 09 would be 16001 to 16009 with D8400 being 16010. Precedent set with the 50s (and others) receiving sequential numbering and not just random.

funny That's the number I've picked (16010)  and i'm going to see if precision labels can do me a run of bespoke numbers for it.

On that subject does anyone know firms which will do bespoke number transfer runs

I have 14029 although i think the TOPS number look too big to me for what i would consider to a right in my TOPS world..............but my plan for the 14 is to have shunter strips with domino dots....so thinking of getting a green base model or if anyone has a better idea please share.

B

Guest teacupteacup

Hi Brenn

Railtec will do bespoke numbering for you - Im sure they could do a full sheet with all the proposed numbers you are wanting for all your 'what if' locos

Joe