Respray a class 16 into BR blue

brenn

On 18/08/2019 at 13:25, Covkid said:

Never been a fan of the deltics although I only ever saw them in BR blue. That large logo livery sits very well on them apart from the blue to grey roof line. Not sure if it ought to transcend the cantrail grilles or not.

Either way thanks for the piccies. 

I saw them in green, but only photted in blue, and it was definitely a retrograde step. The fronts looked dreadful especially when the headcode box was plated over and all was yellow, and the bodysides were simply too deep for one colour. A couple of snaps from around Peterborough in June 1978 will illiustrate the point.

The first is of 55013 entering the station from the north, the second at Fletton of 55022 on what is probably the 14.00 Kings Cross to Edinburgh.

John.

A072011 copyweb.jpg

A072017_copyweb2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Done a very good job of the paintwork. The class 16s really were functional weren’t they? No form in the design. Guess they suit blue as they look like the class 20s. Wouldn’t the headcode discs have been disused and folded over yellow side upwards by the time TOPS numbering came in? 

54 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I keep looking at them and think, if they had lasted until TOPS would they have had headcode boxes, replacing the discs, fitted at some time in their lives?

Mike Wiltshire

I think your right.

My favourite look for locos are BR Blue and domino dot so I did think of grafting class 20ish head codes boxes on to the 15/16 but as this was my first venture in to wish listing a look for locos I thought I'd see how it turn out.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

I keep looking at them and think, if they had lasted until TOPS would they have had headcode boxes, replacing the discs, fitted at some time in their lives?

Mike Wiltshire

Hmmm 20s 24s 40s and 44s retained discs in TOPs era - but no harm in a might have been!

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hmmm 20s 24s 40s and 44s retained discs in TOPs era - but no harm in a might have been!

This is my point. 44009/ 40 060-65, several early class 20's etc,  had the route discs replaced with headcode boxes during their lives, it could have happend to the 16's.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Mike... the 40s lost their discs due to Scottish draughts through the nose end doors .... before TOPs IIRC.

Which disc 20s acquired headcode boxes I wonder? D9 was accident damage at 1 end only. 

Also other classes when they were rebuilt - 23 and 29 - but there was no systemic policy to replace discs  long lived classes 

And forgot about 31/0 and a few 31/1s built with discs which also survived to the end ...

Cheers

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Interesting Mike... the 40s lost their discs due to Scottish draughts through the nose end doors .... before TOPs IIRC.

Which disc 20s acquired headcode boxes I wonder? D9 was accident damage at 1 end only. 

Cheers

Hi Phil

The 29s (except D6123) and the Baby Deltics received headcode boxes on rebuilding. One class 24 (can't be bothered to look through my books tonight) with disc was given a roof with a headcode box but it was not operational, the disc were still used.

• Informative/Useful 1

The only real time discs were replaced was when refurbishments took place as already mentioned. Other oddballs included 44009 and others repaired post-accidents. If locos were built with headcode discs they generally lived their entire lives with them. The variants within classes only existed because construction lasted into the various phases. Discs and doors, doors and split boxes and finally box no doors. The EE type 4s and maybe others crossed all three.

If the 16s had been rebuilt they’d have received boxes (they certainly needed it as they were dire!) so that could be your justification for having such a locomotive. 

DRS class 15 or 16 anyone??

Edited by ianmacc
Reference to derby type 2s removed

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 23:10, ianmacc said:

Done a very good job of the paintwork. The class 16s really were functional weren’t they? No form in the design. Guess they suit blue as they look like the class 20s. Wouldn’t the headcode discs have been disused and folded over yellow side upwards by the time TOPS numbering came in? 

No.

Discs would be in any position, just ignored... eg here in 1990...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2019 at 11:41, ianmacc said:

Several class 15s made rail blue. None got anywhere near TOPS though being withdrawn between 1968 and 1971. 

One 15 received railfreight red stripe livery and TOPS 15033 in preservation!

Note quite...

it was painted silvery grey, with yellow noses, large logo, inaccurate font on a TOPS number.

Red Stripe BTH

It was more of a nod to Railfreight.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Note quite...

it was painted silvery grey, with yellow noses, large logo, inaccurate font on a TOPS number.

Red Stripe BTH

Next you'll tell us that somebody has done a 37 in Blobby livery.  lol

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Note quite...

Red Stripe BTH

More than a nod. Couldn’t paint the cab yellow as set back unlike the 20 so did the nose yellow. No point having yellow warning panel where it won’t warn. Railfreight logo kept cabside now on grey rather than yellow. Apart from the font and incorrect grey shade (they probably didn’t have either available) I’d say that’s pretty much how BR would have applied it. 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 25901 said:

Next you'll tell us that somebody has done a 37 in Blobby livery.  lol

Hi Robin

No it was a class 47 in Mr Blobbly pink and yellow spots. My mate repainted one back in the 90s when Mr Blobby was "popular" and it would appear on a train if there was quite a few kids watching the layout. It was a fun thing to do.

I have a number of locos in green that were never in green and some make believe locos. At one show I had my then very new Hanging Hill layout under construction, it was operative and I had a collection of locos running on it. This one father was telling his son what all the different locos were, and at the time things like Baby Deltic, class 16 etc were not available RTR, so dad seemed very chuffed with himself when he recognised  my scratchbuilt locos. It was when he got to my model of D900 he was stumped. It is two front ends of Tri-ang Pullman power cars back to back to look like a loco, painted Deltic/Hymek two-tone green with white cab windows.

This thread shows you can deviate from reality as long as it is clear that is what you are doing.

Still at a loss about Mr Blobby, how could anything associated with Noel Edmunds be popular. 

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robin

No it was a class 47 in Mr Blobbly pink and yellow spots. My mate repainted one back in the 90s when Mr Blobby was "popular" and it would appear on a train if there was quite a few kids watching the layout. It was a fun thing to do.

I have a number of locos in green that were never in green and some make believe locos. At one show I had my then very new Hanging Hill layout under construction, it was operative and I had a collection of locos running on it. This one father was telling his son what all the different locos were, and at the time things like Baby Deltic, class 16 etc were not available RTR, so dad seemed very chuffed with himself when he recognised  my scratchbuilt locos. It was when he got to my model of D900 he was stumped. It is two front ends of Tri-ang Pullman power cars back to back to look like a loco, painted Deltic/Hymek two-tone green with white cab windows.

This thread shows you can deviate from reality as long as it is clear that is what you are doing.

Still at a loss about Mr Blobby, how could anything associated with Noel Edmunds be popular. 

I think I’ve seen a picture of that creation. It was actually a handsome looking locomotive!

• Like 1