Respray a class 16 into BR blue

brenn

On 21/04/2019 at 15:25, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Brenn. Your plan to have a "mythical fleet of BR blue TOPS.." sounds great fun. I for one would be very interested to see pics of the result at some time in the future.

Good luck!

John.

Hi john,

Well it's underway now class 16 will be the first but i plan to cycle though the fleet of loco's ( 14,15,21,22,23,29,35,41,42,43,77) I've collected for this purpose. some will require just renumbering and domino dots and other will get a full repaint but all will get TOPS numbers with data panels and shed/coupling codes.

Weathering will be another issue, which is why i really appreciate as much involvement from forum members as possible to formulate my vision of how these loco would/should look like in the late 70s/early 80s.

Would they be faded blue,heavily dirty, cleanish? What photos can be used for reference? Class 20s are to be used for the 16 but i'm sure we're all aware the difference and look greatly differed depending on region and work preformed....it's a mine field for a hypothetical vision of a loco.

So i'd really appreciate any photos for reference, any ideas for debate, any input you may think can help achieve this vision of a world of what if BR blue domino dot  ruled the rails.

Thanks

Brenn  

• RMweb Premium

Great idea painting your locos blue, its your railway and you can do what you want.  I’ve got a blue 14, a blue class 15 and a deltic in large logo livery.  Plus a German class 232 in BR blue.

One  of my friends has has a different approach, he has assumed nationalisation never happened and has a LNER liveried class 31.

• Like 1

That's the thing is it not..were all spent time when we got the bug of standing at a station,cutting, where ever... wishing to see a certain loco,train and it never came....

A large logo deltic with white FP cabs would look great as i think as would large logo on most BR diesels.

BW

B

Assuming your 29 is the Hornby model don’t forget it’s a hybrid 21/29 with basically a 21 body but with a headcode panel.  Not sure if you’re making both variants but of the 58 built only 20 were converted to 29s so would possibly need to be borne in mind when numbering them. That said it’s one of the easiest as you can just remove the 6124/ 6142 and put a tops number over the top then print off a domino panel straight over the 8A46. 

Edited by ianmacc
Pic

31 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Sorry to reply to my own post but forget the Hornby model anyway! 

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2019/03/08/Dapol-shows-latest-class-21-development/

yes....i have 2 of those Hornby babys but they are not a fitting model these days....I'm going to give this treatment to the Dapol 21 and 29 when i get my hands on one....soon hopefully coz they been a lonnnnnng time coming:)

As far as class 16 goes, let's assume for a minute they survived until the late '70's.

They'd probably have stayed at Stratford, that depot having the expertise on such a small class, but as their trip work around east London had vanished maybe used double headed, say on freights out to East Anglia, perhaps up to Whitemoor (March).

As such, we should assume the shed had sorted out the extensive oil leaks, and given the general pride in their locos I'd expect them to be pretty clean and cared for. Recall that Stratford was the shed that "broke the mould" on unrelieved railblue by painting up the pair of 47's with Union Jacks and white roofs in 1977 for the Queen's Silver Jubilee. So not much weathering at all, bogies obviously grubby but sides quite clean except for smidges of dirt around the door hinges. Your class 15 in due course could follow the same guide.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John,

That's a good point...i'd seen the class 15 at Stratford a few time and it was clean but i suppose that was because it wasn't moving under it's own power. I do remember that not all Stratford 31,37,47 were that clean when at Liverpool street. The guy repainting this loco is told me he will use class 20 photos for reference and i'll be interested how he individualizes his weathering technique.

B

I thinking at the moment about he North British work plates on the Class 16 post repaint......question

1...do you think it should be retained?

2...should it be clean and painted blue

3 should it be moved as it was on the class 22 to avoid problem with the numbers 

Where would best to source NB work plates....i tried Shawplan but can't see them

BW

B

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2019 at 18:19, brenn said:

I thinking at the moment about he North British work plates on the Class 16 post repaint......question

1...do you think it should be retained?

2...should it be clean and painted blue

3 should it be moved as it was on the class 22 to avoid problem with the numbers 

Where would best to source NB work plates....i tried Shawplan but can't see them

BW

B

I have only just seen your post, you may have sorted the works plates, but if you're still looking, Narrow Planet do custom etched plates.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

HTH

Moxy

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a rail blue class 14, rail blue class 15 (both resprayed by Olivias trains), rail blue 232 (a German loco) and a large logo deltic.  You can see the 15 on the right of the photo below. The shunter is a 08 with cut down cab.

3DA5719E-9DDA-49ED-A9CD-57FA990DFD29.jpeg.ee479415e630efe6e083e4a109123daa.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve got a rail blue class 14, rail blue class 15 (both resprayed by Olivias trains), rail blue 232 (a German loco) and a large logo deltic.  You can see the 15 on the right of the photo below. The shunter is a 08 with cut down cab.

3DA5719E-9DDA-49ED-A9CD-57FA990DFD29.jpeg.ee479415e630efe6e083e4a109123daa.jpeg

The class 15 next on my list.....it was the o gauge 15 from Train 4 U that spurned me to on to start getting some of locos I want in TOPS BR blue. I have a long list to get though now of which the class 16 is just the start. Have you got pictures of the LL blue Deltic? 

BW

B

• RMweb Gold

As other have said no 15s or 16s in blue - some 15s including Stratford's pet 8234 which was usually Liverpool St pilot were green FYE with arrows.

Doncaster were turning out repaints like this from 1968 - plenty of 31s and some 37s carried the same combination

Phil

14 hours ago, brenn said:

Well here's some progress ... what do you think?

It looks perfectly credible, and doesn't call attention to itself. Perhaps Stratford might have allowed the distinctive bonnet side handrails to be left unpainted? (I find the external appearance so unusual as to be very appealing.)

In case you haven't thought of this already, it's worth cutting away the centre section of the 'cab interior', just leaving the driving desk representations as separate clip in pieces suitably painted, and then adding a cover to conceal the mechanism. Mine is made from nothing more than folded black paper, which 'disappears'; as opposed to a very visible 'floor' at waist height on the model as supplied. On the 'one day' list, make and install fore and aft cab bulkheads in plasticard...

1 hour ago, brenn said:

I think a deltic wears LLB well....I think it would look good in Exec livery too

Never been a fan of the deltics although I only ever saw them in BR blue. That large logo livery sits very well on them apart from the blue to grey roof line. Not sure if it ought to transcend the cantrail grilles or not.

Either way thanks for the piccies. 

Just caught up again with this thread.

I really do like your 16009 in BFYE, as 34B-D says the handrails could be unpainted - use a fine silver liner pen on the model. The other idea would be to give the loco a very light grey roof, which would break up the all-blue, and reproduce what Stratford did in the later '70's. Understandably however you might want to keep this as is, you could always do another one as a comparison!

John.