Digikeijs DR4018 with Tortoise turnout motors

RichO

I am hoping someone has experience of using the DR4018. I am just setting up my first turnout motor with the DR4018. It works fine but when not moving (presumably stalled) it is buzzing!  

I have set CV 47 to a value of 6 and using a 15 volt power supply.

Thanks Richard

• RMweb Gold

Are you using the DR4101 Tortoise switch motor interface to connect the motors to the DR4018? Buzzing when the motor is stalled would suggest they are receiving AC current instead of DC. 

Yes, I am using the DR4101's.

I have reduced the voltage to 12 volts, this slows down the tortoise motion, which probably doesn't matter. There is still a small buzz, not quite as loud so the situation is improved.

However, is this a satisfactory situation and will any damage be done to the tortoises?

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Recommended power for the Tortoises is 9-12v DC. The lower the power the quieter they are (and the slower they operate). I have 60+ Tortoises but use the NCE Switch-8 accessory decoder that is specifically designed for the Tortoises and have never noticed any buzzing. 

Edited by RFS

If you check the DR4018 manual you will see the recommended minimum voltage for the DR4018 is 12 volts. Can only assume it may not function correctly on 9 volts.

No idea what output voltage this translates to at the tortoise end.

I am going to connect some more up and hope for the best!

Richard 

Hi Richard

Just tried a 12v dc 3A power supply and the humm is noticibly quieter... I guess exactly what you're seeing. Seems like there is a way to alter the output power (using CV 113 for point one) but as yet I haven't found a rating that will fullly throw a tortoise. I'll post anything I find that works on my Bisley Junction thread but will probably go with adding some foam the reduce the vibration when attached to the baseboard

cheers

Will

Are you 100% sure you have you set CV47=6 on your DR4018? I ask because I was setting up MTB MP1 motors today and they wouldn't work right as I hadn't set the CV though I thought I had.

It is important that you use a Loco ID 9999 to set the CVs on these units. I had accidentally used an Accessory address and the CV didn't write. If you use an accessory address then the red light will go out when you send the command CV47=6 , if you use a loco address to send the command then the light will stay on and you need to switch it off. The light wil actully dim slighly when you send the command, another way to know you have set it correctly.

Edited by WIMorrison

Thanks! An interesting observation  and i hadn't noticed the light dimming... I'll have a look out next time I have a go. Definitely using address 9999 (both on the computer but now using the z21 app).

Cheers

Will 

Feel fairly confident CV47 is set correctly but will re check.

I have used the programmer in the DR5000 with loco address set to 9999.

I find any slight buz unacceptable,  made worse with 8 tortoise motors in the same area.

I intend to put back two Digitrax DS64's and use thr DR4018 to switch lighting or signals. 

Richard 

Hi Richard

Do you know what the output of the DS64s are? I'm tempted to have a go with a lower voltage power supply. Dimming the output of the DR401 helped but I can't find a setting that reliably throws a point.

Cheers

Will  

Hi Will

Not quite sure what you mean by "what the output of theDS64's is?

I run them on a 12 volt supply as recommended and the tortoise motors run perfectly, certainly much quicker than a DR4018. But you need 2 DS64's to do the same as a DR4018!

I don't think you can use less than 12 volts with the DR4018.

Have to say for tortoise motors DS64's seem hard to beat.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried an an old Maplin switchable power supply to see if this improved things. On 12V DC it's noiser than my other 12V DC power supply... and when switched to output at 9v DC is quieter but about the same as the new 12V DC power supply. Probably not the greatest experiment as the Maplin supply is pretty old. However it did show me the DR4018 works with a lower supply (wasn't that happy when i tried 7.5V to see what happens ;))

I'm wondering if the sound I'm hearing is normal for Tortoise in the stall position - I don't have anything to compare to as this is my first. the 12v DC supply is definetly alot quieter than direct from the DR5000!

• 4 years later...

Hi .

New here and having the same problem with the buzzing .

I was under the understanding that preset 6 allowed a pulse to drive the motor 1 way or the other .

I have dropped down to a 9vdc pwr supply to keep the buzzing to a minimuim  .

Curious as to what solutions people have come up with ? .

Regards