Peco 3 way ElectroFrog Point

model-trains

I have a couple of Peco 3 way ElectroFrog points, the first of which I am ready to add to the layout I am building. Well not quite ready understanding how I install it and do I have to solder wires to the underside have brought me to a stop!

The underside of the 3 way ElectroFrog does not appear like the 2 way, it wouldn't it is a 3 way point, I am sure you will say. ;)

There are two wires dropping from the point for the frog, which will go to the Cobalt IP Digital slow action point motor.

Is this all I need providing I add DCC track power at the heel of the point, and 6 IRJ's at the 3 toe ends of the point?

Or do I have to solder wires to the track beneath like I had to with the two way ElectroFrog point, if so where do I solder the wires? 

I have seen a wiring diagram for the Cobalt point motor mentioned above, but the area I am not sure about is what changes or soldered additions are needed and where. :sorry_mini:

Thanks in advance for any help.

• RMweb Gold

This issue has been covered many times in the past and I would suggest your first option is to do a forum search where you will no doubt find the answer.  You also don't say whether this is OO or N, and if it's OO whether it's code 75 or 100. The instructions that Peco provide should also show you how it needs to be wired up.

• RMweb Gold

Are you using two point motors?  One of the droppers goes to one and the other to the other motor.  Off the top of my head I can't remember which way round but, as has been said, there are many diagrams out there.

Yes I will be using 2 Cobalt IP point motors.

The 3 way point images are below

Will droppers at the heel of the point be sufficient to feed into the point? Will I need to solder other wires to the underside of the point? Information for the electro frog 2 way branch is clear, I am not sure with the 3 way, my soldering isn't brilliant due to my eye sight hence the reason, if there is any soldering, I need to get it right first time.

Thanks for your help

Peco_EF_3way1.jpg

Peco_EF_3way2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A feed to the heel of the point should be sufficient.  You also need to feed the switches on the point motor with track power..  The wires from the frogs go one to each switched part of the point.  Have a look at the instructions that came with the point to see which way round things go,.

Depending on how you are laying your point it may be easier to solder an 'extension' wire to each of the droppers from the frogs and feed the droppers plus extension through pre drilled holes in the baseboard.

Edited by BoD
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Bod

I have managed to find this video, it works in the same principle as the two way electrofrog branch wiring.

So I am guessing you could do it on the heel and allow power to run into the point, or as in the video connecting two positives and connecting two negatives.  I could probably do both but it would make it less flexible to position and connecting to other tracks lengths.

Sorry I forgot to add earlier, my layout is 00 gauge.

Thanks again for your help.

That video deals with the Code 75 3 way asymmetrical  turnout & the OP is using Code 100 3 way so refer to post of Nov 18, 2010 here

image.png

Edited by Sol
trying to delete double images/posts

The above doesn't give me what I was looking for, thanks anyway.

I am aware the frog wires go to my two Cobalt Digital IP Point Motors, what I was wanting was the Track bus wires that are soldered to the underside of the point. The principle used for the code 75 3 way has to be the same as for the code 100 3 way Peco point. I think I will be adding track bus wires to the two areas of the point in the video, and to the fish plates at the heel of the Peco point. 

The two frog wires will go to two Cobalt IP point motors and each will be fed from the Accessories Bus.

Thanks everyone for your help, hopefully all will go well, if not I will soon know. :)

Edited by model-trains