Own up; who did this? PCB trackbed.

AY Mod

• Moderators

Probably about 12 years ago I bought a piece of copper PCB board milled out to give Code 75 compatible trackbed pieces from someone on here. Anyway, I recently found it in a box and thought that'll be really useful for doing the board end sleepers. It certainly gives a decent bed to get a joint under the rails.

Can anyone recall who knocked these up?

Board_Ends_1500.jpg

I'd certainly like to get some more done but to more appropriate sleeper width and spacing.

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly (and I might not) they were custom cut by Junkozane? jz?. He cut me some very thin strips to act as tie bars which were brilliant but then I think he changed job and lost the facility to make bespoke pcb items. I don't know what archives you have access to but I think the initial offer to cut bespoke pcb items may pre date the archives that were lost in the last update.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you do find someone who has a small milling facility, I am sure that they could run a shallow cut along the central sleeper area before starting on the deeper through cuts so the two sides were electrically separated. Have you thought about asking a small supplier like C&L as they do make/supply copper-clad sleepers and perhaps they have the facilities to cut from sheet? Of course they may simply buy in their copper-clad strip to the correct dimensions but it would be a possible path for your inquiries.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I am sure that they could run a shallow cut along the central sleeper area before starting on the deeper through cuts so the two sides were electrically separated. Have you thought about asking a small supplier like C&L

Personally, I prefer my breaks closer to the rail negating the need to fill and paint centre gouges. C&L? I think I'd approach someone faster. ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/04/2019 at 21:20, AY Mod said:

Probably about 12 years ago I bought a piece of copper PCB board milled out to give Code 75 compatible trackbed pieces from someone on here. Anyway, I recently found it in a box and thought that'll be really useful for doing the board end sleepers. It certainly gives a decent bed to get a joint under the rails.

Can anyone recall who knocked these up?

Board_Ends_1500.jpg

I'd certainly like to get some more done but to more appropriate sleeper width and spacing.

Rather wasteful of a sheet of PCB material - much more should have been fitted on the sheet. But looks useful.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Rather wasteful of a sheet of PCB material

It was a test piece on some scrap material. The rest won't be wasted.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, JZ sleepers, still got a few sheets left from when I did Summat Colliery. The plain copperclad around the outside is used for making tie bars, loco pickup plates and even small PCBs 😉

DSC00194.JPG.96e09194de730217d9c3e7a94d48019f.JPG

DSC00195.JPG.663982d48d18481bdd8884b347630234.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

It would be a simple matter to design an actual PCB of the right shape and size to do the job. The sleeper shape would just be part of the board outline and be routed (i.e. milled) in the process. Probably easier than milling a full sheet too, as you could automatically include the isolation break in the copper tracking. You could even include screwdown holes if desired as part of the design. You can get 50 x 50 mm PCBs made very cheaply nowadays.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Philou said:

Would you like me to ask?

Please!

I spoke to the originator, JZ, at the weekend and his stash is spoken for. I intend to set out a design for the right sleeper dimensions and spacing to match Peco bullhead if that's of any interest?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

In respect of the sleepering, my interest is in the Peco SF75 (too much in stock to change now to the newer B/H). They're into Peco 100. There is no club this weekend as they're on a jaunt somewhere, but I'll send an e-mail to one of the younger ones who was using some a couple of weeks ago. The principle will be same regardless of the precise measurements.

Cheers,

Philip

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:27, AY Mod said:

I intend to set out a design for the right sleeper dimensions and spacing to match Peco bullhead if that's of any interest?

Can you specify the dimensions and spacings you anticipate using?

Sleeper1.PNG

Sleeper2.PNG

Edited by Gordon H
Added sample images of PCB design, based on 34 x 4mm sleeper at 5mm spacing, second one with screwdown holes
  • Like 1

@A Y Mod

Hello Andy,

I got a reply from my fellow club attendee regarding the PCB sleepers: They use a Dremel and small cutting disk to create the item.

I don't think the club has access to a router. I have one but I imagine it would be too big for such small cut-outs.

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1

Here is another version for installation on a baseboard joint before cutting across with a razor saw or similar.

As such, it would also allow angled joints, up to the point where the end sleeper corners would overlap the joint.

Sleeper 2.PNG

• Like 3