Led wiring

deltanw12

Erm, a few questions. What is actually operating the points, ie solenoids, servos, slow acting devices........... I'm guessing not solenoids if you have a toggle switch. Do the point motors have any auxiliary switches ? What are you using to power the LEDs ?

I have exactly the same set up. I fitted one point switch, which I supplied the common with 0volts. Then a wire from each of the other two contacts back to the control panel. In the panel I connected a LED and a 15k resistor in series to each wire (x 2) to the +12volts. This gave me the AD and B.C. indication.

If you would like a circuit diagram let me know.

• RMweb Gold

I like using bi-colour LEDs so that with power/point switched in one direction, the device lights Green and when the power/point switch is reversed, it lights red. As I'm using slow acting stall motors, these devices can be wired in series with the supply to the stall motor and don't need a dropper resistor as the stall motor fulfils that purpose. For use with your style of set-up, you need to drop the 12V down to an LED friendly level using a suitable resistor in series with the device(s). A 10mA LED will need a 1200 ohm resistor for a 12V supply, a 3mA version will need a 4000 ohm resistor. Don't use your capacitor discharge output for these LEDs.

Deltanw12,

Here is a picture of my wiring for point indication. As you can see I use only one LED, which lights to indicate the direction the point is set. I am also using a 15Kohm resistor to reduce the LED brightness to an acceptable level for me.

I only bother fitting one point switch to a crossover. If you want the AD / BC indication all you need to do is put another LED & resistor in parallel on each leg of the switch.

Don't worry about the two "A" wires, these are for signalling using the one point switch.

Hope this helps. 

Rick

Point Switch Wiring.jpg