Source for Decauville Track in 009?

Hi - I am working on a WDLR layout set in the later part of WW1. I would love to have some Decauville track (pre-fab with steel sleepers) on a section or two. Has anyone made the track in 009, either RTR or just the steel sleepers for handlaying? All the best, Rob

Edited by Robert John Davis
Typo
  • Agree 1

On 22/04/2019 at 21:26, Robert John Davis said:

Hi - I am working on a WDLR layout set in the later part of WW1. I would love to have some Decauville track (pre-fab with steel sleepers) on a section or two. Has anyone made the track in 009, either RTR or just the steel sleepers for handlaying? All the best, Rob

That looks like an interesting little project; if you have the details of the sleepers (dimension, no. of types, etc) I might be able to find the time to create the necessary 3D files.

There are good copies of the original drawings in Roy Link's recent 'WDLR Companion' on p107. Briefly, the pressed steel sleepers are 3'9" x 7" at 1'10 5/8" spacing. The 20lb rails are 5m long and the curved sections are either 30m or 50m radius. I can thoroughly recommend this book and the earlier 'WDLR Album' to anyone interested in the WDLR.

Ray.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2019 at 14:19, Robert John Davis said:

John, did this prove to be a feasible 3D printing project?

I've drawn them up - ages ago, right after your original query - but haven't done anything else. (I'm mostly a writer, and the latest book came out at the end of April, since when I've been busy with signings, promo events and the like. Good fun, but horribly time-consuming.)

I'll see what I can manage this weekend. Sorry!

On 25/06/2019 at 07:35, John_Hughes said:

I've drawn them up - ages ago, right after your original query - but haven't done anything else. (I'm mostly a writer, and the latest book came out at the end of April, since when I've been busy with signings, promo events and the like. Good fun, but horribly time-consuming.)

I'll see what I can manage this weekend. Sorry!

Very cool. No need to be sorry, I know how it goes. If you get to it, please let us know the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

I am trying to locate some Decauville track in 009 but with out success. I require it to complete an item of WW1 French Artillery rolling stock. A rail carrier wagon. This is two Pechot bolster bogies that have a stack of Decauville portable track on their bolsters, as shown in Dr Christain Cenac's book.

As 009 track is too deep to look in scale (Code 80 plus the plastic sleeper), I have come to the conclusion that I will have to fabricate the track panels. The Decauville track was flat botton 60mm wide and 60mm high scaled down to 009 it would be about code 30 and I need about 1.5 metres to fabricate a stack of 20 rail panels. Code 30 rail track is not flat bottom but Code 40 is flat bottom rail track and available from two places

1) British Finescale                                  £19 for 10 metres plus £6.50 for shipping

2) The 2mm scale association.              £3 for 10 metres but you have to be a member 

The Decauville track would not be functional so Code 40 rail track with shaped flat brass sleepers soldered to it would look in scale and meet my needs.

If you are modelling WDLR kit and want the track useable The WDLR straight track panels were 5 metres long and the sleepers were square ended. A copper clad piece of PCB to the sleeper dimensions and soldered to code 80 rail track should be simple enough to do. A cut through the copper cladding between the rails to insulate them and you can lay them, same as normal commercial track, after painting them.

James

• RMweb Premium

This is what's on my friend's WW1 layout. They are cosmetic items that can be used as wagon loads.

009_28.JPG.8b3f9200a81c5a940cfcae751b12a2a5.JPG

It's code 40 rail soldered to PCB sleepers, the small ones meant for N or 2mm scale.