Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets

18 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I've got a few Lima 73's and a similar amount of DMU's that need doing, so i'm in the market for some.

The coach wheels you already do are fantastic. I've even used them to do the motor bogie on one of my DMU's. Will the axle diameter be the same size as the Lima originals?

Hi there, they are designed to go straight in. Thanks Peter 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mersey507003 said:

Has there been any news on the prices of these wheels because aswell as the 73 which I would just do a complete rewheel on I have a 37 which will need all 6 axles doing and a set of gear cogs between the wheels and the cd/dvd motor when its fitted. 

Any information on these will be highly welcome.

Hi there, we will be cheaper than our competitors but until they land with all shipping costs we have no set price as yet. Thanks Peter 

4 hours ago, Ray M said:

Looks like they all have differant inside faces ?

IE not all smooth (For pick ups).

Hi there, I uploaded the first samples picture which weren't approved so here's the new versions (they still need tweaking). Thanks Peter 

IMG_8266.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are the wheels to the same Lima pizza cutter profile as the originals, or is the photo a little deceptive?

Mike.

I was wondering that, but it may be that the flanges seem oversize due to the small diameter of the wheels ....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PetersSpares said:

Replacement picture upload. I incorrectly added the first sample wheels. Prices will be cheaper than our competition but are not ready until all import costs are with us. Thanks Peter 

IMG_8266.JPG

Peter

It looks to be exactly the same photo again!

Maybe the rejection was due to the flange.

Also its not clear, but are the axle sets, all moulded with the gear?

I'd certainly be interested in these wheels, depending on price.

I've always considered existing replacemet wheelsets much too expensive to warrant spending on Lima so gradually sold off most of my locos and gradually purchased Hornby and Bachmann ones.

But I still operate a number of Limas -  class 73s 156s and a 92 - that are mechanically smooth runners.  So if the price was right i would give them a try particularly if you could fit extra pick ups to the wheels that previously had traction tyres.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are the wheels to the same Lima pizza cutter profile as the originals, or is the photo a little deceptive?

Mike.

Hi there, no they will run on code 100 and 75 as previously mentioned. There are still tweeks to do one is the flange. Thanks Peter 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Peter

It looks to be exactly the same photo again!

Maybe the rejection was due to the flange.

Also its not clear, but are the axle sets, all moulded with the gear?

It's a new photo and no we are making geared wheels and dummy bogie wheels. Thanks Peter 

Good traction requires lots of weight over the power bogie and not a lot over the unpowered bogie .  My Lima locos were stuffed with batteries and needed substantial lead weights in the nose to regain the traction lost from losing one of the two traction tyres. The locos derailed on my sharp curves in the garden when the leading axle had traction tyres in place. Now out of use they are awaiting repowering with twin power bogies with CD tray Motors and new R/C equipment, hence my interest in this thread, though to be honest new wheels of standard Lima profile less traction tyre grooves would suit me

6 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Good traction requires lots of weight over the power bogie and not a lot over the unpowered bogie .  My Lima locos were stuffed with batteries and needed substantial lead weights in the nose to regain the traction lost from losing one of the two traction tyres. The locos derailed on my sharp curves in the garden when the leading axle had traction tyres in place. Now out of use they are awaiting repowering with twin power bogies with CD tray Motors and new R/C equipment, hence my interest in this thread, though to be honest new wheels of standard Lima profile less traction tyre grooves would suit me

I found no problem with traction when converting my Lima diesels to  radio control with battery power. Not having any pickups reduces drag. The large steel block was removed and replaced with lead sheet to keep the loco weight the same as before. I could not achieve the weight I wanted in a Class 26 so I placed a strip of lead over the power bogie. Those Lima diesels are good value and ideal for conversion as inside it is mostly empty space. I also modified the bodies so they lift off easily. Change the loco hauling the train, just swop the body for a different livery!

2 hours ago, nzgresleyfan said:

Will you be doing wheels that have the correct centres for Westerns and Warships please? The lack of them on the Lima locos stands out more than the flanges IMHO.

Hi there, no we won't be making prototypical wheels as this would mean more tooling and a lot more choices. This would not be cost affective due to the number sold. Thanks Peter

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PetersSpares said:

Hi there, no we won't be making prototypical wheels as this would mean more tooling and a lot more choices. This would not be cost affective due to the number sold. Thanks Peter

An ideal opening for someone with a 3D printer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

An ideal opening for someone with a 3D printer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the idea! Don't have one myself but I'm sure I can find someone who does. Might be easier than getting them sent across the planet from Blighty. Maybe I can convince the teenage daughter to run a few off on the school machine...

• Like 1

Just now, nzgresleyfan said:

Thanks for the idea! Don't have one myself but I'm sure I can find someone who does. Might be easier than getting them sent across the planet from Blighty. Maybe I can convince the teenage daughter to run a few off on the school machine...

I was suggesting 3d printing the distinctive centres, to fit into the recesses of Peter's Spares new wheels for Lima models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, or someone with a transfer printer?!!!

Mike.

'Fraid not - what is needed is a 3D insert to fill the recess in the Peter's Spares replacement wheels.

A close look at Warship / Western wheels will show what is needed; I believe that something similar has been produced for disc-braked wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

'Fraid not - what is needed is a 3D insert to fill the recess in the Peter's Spares replacement wheels.

A close look at Warship / Western wheels will show what is needed; I believe that something similar has been produced for disc-braked wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Whilst I agree with your assessment, hence the reason I use Ultrascale wheels, but, a transfer of the face of the wheel would be better than nothing?

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whilst I agree with your assessment, hence the reason I use Ultrascale wheels, but, a transfer of the face of the wheel would be better than nothing?

Mike.

I'm afraid that I can't agree - the essential character of the exposed Western wheels is the profiled front face; a transfer set deep within the recess of a Lima-type wheel would never achieve this.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Agree 1

On 30/04/2019 at 00:45, cctransuk said:

I was suggesting 3d printing the distinctive centres, to fit into the recesses of Peter's Spares new wheels for Lima models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yep, thanks. I got your meaning but was verbalising (writing?) my thought that buying them from a UK manufacturer might be a PITA. Given the limited interest here in Godzone it would be unlikely that many would want them. Hence having to think about doing them myself...

• RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2019 at 21:33, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

At one time MJT made a cast whitemetal insert to convert Romford disc wagon wheels to three-hole ones. The holes were deep enough to be convincing. Obviously purpose-made 3 hole wheels are now on the . market. I see no reason why anyone who needs to enhance the appearance of Lima Western wheels couldn't do something similar in white metal or 3-D printing. With the wagons the extra metal was useful weight low down, less of a problem with something the size of a diesel loco.