Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets

On 20/04/2021 at 20:00, adb968008 said:

Large.

26/27/31/33/37/47/60/87/92 confirmed the same

unsure on 42 & 52 I believe the gearing maybe different (I no longer have these to check).

ive not added 59 and 66, My gut feel is they are the same, but I dont posess Lima versions of these to check, but the Hornby (Upgraded Lima) ones are the same wheel size as the others above.

The 52 59 66 are the large we have not got a 40 to check them but they should be the same.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, steviesparx said:

Slightly off topic Peter, but I see you're doing some replacements for Mazak rotted parts (eg T9 motor mount)....

Would a class 31 chassis be among your considerations ?

No this was made by Hornby and may be too expensive tp tool up for even if we were allowed to make it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MJI said:

Tempted to fit my Lima 47 with these, what is the traction like, would be on an 8 coach train, 6 Airfix aircons, a Replica BG and a bitsof catering vehicle

As mentioned in other posts you need to make new pickups or ease off the old ones and add lots of traction weight. 

• Thanks 1

I am interested in many Peters Spares items however the current GBP40.00 minimum postage cost to Australia on eBay items is a definite turnoff.  Do you have any idea when the postage cost will return to a more reasonable level,  please,  or is the high postage cost only applicable to purchases on the eBay site?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I will experiment with my Lima 116 DMU as it is my most detailed running on pizza cutters.

They are also only 0.5mm too small.

My Mark 2s are getting Replica B4s with modern wheels fitted.

2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I am interested in many Peters Spares items however the current GBP40.00 minimum postage cost to Australia on eBay items is a definite turnoff.  Do you have any idea when the postage cost will return to a more reasonable level,  please,  or is the high postage cost only applicable to purchases on the eBay site?

Also postage cost to Ireland,  used to be only £5.00 for small items, ie couplings, buffers etc, but now seems to be set at £23.99.

7 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Can you not order directly from Peters Spares - surely they don't charge such high P&P charges?

John Isherwood.

Well, seeing as the stock numbers were falling, looking at the Peters Spares website, I've taken the plunge & bought the replacement PS wheelsets for my twin Lima motor bogie MTK EE Type 4. Will rewheel the beast when I get home in late June & see how it goes :sungum:

Mark

Bye Bye Pizza cutters!  Replacement Wheelsets for Lima class 42 arrived one working day after ordering! Fitted in less than 5 minutes, runs like a dream, however the bogie detail (springs, break blocks, etc) needs moving in again... Out with the scalpel!   Thank you Peters Spares. 

Edited by d00m
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/04/2021 at 13:13, irishmail said:

Also postage cost to Ireland,  used to be only £5.00 for small items, ie couplings, buffers etc, but now seems to be set at £23.99.

As of the 1st September Royal Mail have seriously increased shipping cost due to the lack of passenger planes in the air. We had already started sending items at a loss but it couldn’t continue. We have updated shipping to reflect their changes and our flat rate. Until COVID-19 stops affecting the world and travel / shipping it won't come down. Please either stock up to make the affect less or buy latter when things hopefully settle down. Postage overseas has become a very complex thing these days.

On 22/04/2021 at 17:51, cctransuk said:

Can you not order directly from Peters Spares - surely they don't charge such high P&P charges?

John Isherwood.

As of the 1st September Royal Mail have seriously increased shipping cost due to the lack of passenger planes in the air. We had already started sending items at a loss but it couldn’t continue. We have updated shipping to reflect their changes and our flat rate. Until COVID-19 stops affecting the world and travel / shipping it won't come down. Please either stock up to make the affect less or buy latter when things hopefully settle down. Postage overseas has become very complex these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I mentioned on my workbench thread yesterday that I'd bought a few sets of these and found the back-to-back measurement way too tight, causing too much friction between the wheel back and the bogie frame. I managed to open it out a little today to around 14.5mm from the 14-ishmm they were set at, which seems to have cured the problem. A few small tweaks might be needed, as at least one unit sparks quite badly over a couple of sets of points. However, it does seem to have sorted it and first test seem to show they run well. I've already ordered a few more sets to replace the Lima wheels on other units.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

I noted from earlier posts that there was no intention to make wheels for the class 20. I have just converted mine by pulling the Lima wheels off the driven axles and pushing on PS79 replacements. No more traction tyres and 8 wheel pick up as a bonus. The Lima chassis is already quite heavy so may not need extra weight. I'll find out when I use it to power a Silver Fox Baby Deltic.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...

Dragging up a old thread, the gears fitted to Lima motor bogies, are they mod 0.5? Asking as the people who do the CD remotoring use these gears for the drive off the new motor to the Lima gear train. If the gears on the back of the wheels are mod 0.5 it gives more options for remotoring.

• 3 months later...
On 25/04/2019 at 15:19, PetersSpares said:

Thanks for that, we are not going to do the 20's.

On 17/08/2021 at 09:40, Les Bird said:

I noted from earlier posts that there was no intention to make wheels for the class 20. I have just converted mine by pulling the Lima wheels off the driven axles and pushing on PS79 replacements. No more traction tyres and 8 wheel pick up as a bonus. The Lima chassis is already quite heavy so may not need extra weight. I'll find out when I use it to power a Silver Fox Baby Deltic.

I have done the same.

IMG_7394.jpg

IMG_7395.jpg

IMG_7397.jpg

• Like 4