Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets

• 8 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 16:42, PetersSpares said:

Dear RMweb readers,

As well as our other wheels we are planning on making some more scale and traction tyre free Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets. We have been doing some work already but wondered if anyone has done any conversions with other makers wheels (we are hoping to have a much more cost effective alternative) and how they got around the lack of traction. (I know you can just shove loads of weight in it.) But I'm looking to find out anyones experience and what they pull. Thanks Peter, Peters Spares Model Railways Ltd

New Samples have arrived and are being checked and tested. A few sneaky pics are attached.  Thanks Peter 

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update Peter. Are these going to be available for pre-order, as I suspect they are likely to be popular, and snapped up pretty quick. I have a couple of Lima Class 73's i'd like to get re-wheeled. :D

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Thanks for the update Peter. Are these going to be available for pre-order, as I suspect they are likely to be popular, and snapped up pretty quick. I have a couple of Lima Class 73's i'd like to get re-wheeled. :D

Don't worry we are buying a few! About 2000 of each off the top of my head. The Codes to Look out for are PS76 & PS78 for the smaller wheels PS79 & PS80 for the larger loco wheels. We are working on testing traction unplaced against plated so not sure if you will need to add a touch of paint or not but it will be decided by pulling power.  We will sell them in singles as different locos require different amounts of dummy wheels.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

These look good, I have done a couple of conversions using  Gibson coach wheels on Lima locos.  I had to sleeve the axles up to 2.5mm And fitting the gears was a challenge to say the least, but I did it.

As for traction , well with added weight a loco can pull 20 free running wagons or up to 4 free running coaches, which for me is adequate.   What I have found is if you give the loco too much welly the wheels slip like mad, but if you are careful you can get the whole train moving gradually..... Just like the real thing eh ! So I am on the whole pleased with my efforts. 

To be able to buy wheels ready to use would be great. the modification took me a while . 

I have also done the same with Hornby bogies. they were rather easier.

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 15:46, PetersSpares said:

New Samples have arrived and are being checked and tested. A few sneaky pics are attached.  Thanks Peter 

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

Our Lima wheels have been signed off so they are now in full production. We expeditor due to Chinese New Year this month they may take 1-2 months to arrive. They will be blackened. Thanks Peter 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PetersSpares said:

Our Lima wheels have been signed off so they are now in full production. We expeditor due to Chinese New Year this month they may take 1-2 months to arrive. They will be blackened. Thanks Peter 

Thanks very much for the update, I can see these are going to be extremely popular!

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, PetersSpares said:

Great news, thanks Peter.

On 24/04/2019 at 16:42, PetersSpares said:

Dear RMweb readers,

As well as our other wheels we are planning on making some more scale and traction tyre free Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets. We have been doing some work already but wondered if anyone has done any conversions with other makers wheels (we are hoping to have a much more cost effective alternative) and how they got around the lack of traction. (I know you can just shove loads of weight in it.) But I'm looking to find out anyones experience and what they pull. Thanks Peter, Peters Spares Model Railways Ltd

PS76.jpg

PS78.jpg

PS79.jpg

ps77.jpg

Our Wheels have arrived.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

22 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Is there a guide to know which I need for a particular loco?

We have listed what you need on each wheel type. Lima basically have large and small wheels and then look at the models we list. PS76 PS77 PS78 PS79 Thanks Peter 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2021 at 14:04, PetersSpares said:

We have listed what you need on each wheel type. Lima basically have large and small wheels and then look at the models we list. PS76 PS77 PS78 PS79 Thanks Peter 

Its not listed, but am i right to assume that a class 27 would be the small wheels?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JohnR said:

Its not listed, but am i right to assume that a class 27 would be the small wheels?

Large.

26/27/31/33/37/47/60/87/92 confirmed the same

unsure on 42 & 52 I believe the gearing maybe different (I no longer have these to check).

ive not added 59 and 66, My gut feel is they are the same, but I dont posess Lima versions of these to check, but the Hornby (Upgraded Lima) ones are the same wheel size as the others above.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Tempted to fit my Lima 47 with these, what is the traction like, would be on an 8 coach train, 6 Airfix aircons, a Replica BG and a bitsof catering vehicle