Slow saving posts

• Moderators

Yes, it can be slow at times and we are still working at it. I have been able to establish this weekend that it's not actually slow to submit or save it but it is slow to confirm back to the user that it has done so. A subtle difference.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yes, it can be slow at times and we are still working at it. I have been able to establish this weekend that it's not actually slow to submit or save it but it is slow to confirm back to the user that it has done so. A subtle difference.

I noticed my second post initially appeared after Ray H's one, and now appears before it

Richard

23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have been able to establish this weekend that it's not actually slow to submit or save it but it is slow to confirm back to the user that it has done so.

Indeed - this is the behavior that I see. For me it is intermittent. Most of the time it all works properly.  Edits to posts seem to take longer than an original save.

Sometimes the "saving" message with greyed out post lasts a long time. Opening RMweb in a separate tab indicates that the post is indeed saved and visible. On one occasion I assumed that I could kill the tab where I first tried to 'save' a post. Everything in that post was gone and the post buffer was cleared.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sometimes the "saving" message with greyed out post lasts a long time. Opening RMweb in a separate tab indicates that the post is indeed saved and visible.

I've definitely seen this when saving an edited post.  Sometimes I get an error saying that it's been too long since the post was written for me to be able to save it.  Once this afternoon I got that when I'd started to edit it about thirty seconds after saving the original post, and then spotting a typo.  The error message makes it looks as though it hasn't saved the edit, but if you open the thread in another tab, the edit is there.

EDIT: Just had another oddity.  Replying to another thread, quoting a part of another poster's post, I clicked "Save" and then popped off to another tab.  When I came back my post was still sitting there in the input window, with the "Save" button live.  I assumed that I must have failed to click the button properly, so did it again - and got told that I had tried to post twice in too rapid succession.  As it happened I had been quoting a post on the next-to-last page of the thread, so my reply would have gone on the last page.  And lo and behold, there it was.  So I had clicked "Save", and my post had been saved, but the screen had not been updated to reflect that.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here's another oddity (may have already been observed - if so, apologies for the duplication): If I enter a thread where I last read (say page 153) and read to the present end of the thread (say now page 155), in using the browser page 'back' (the <-- arrow - top left on Firefox) it may go back to page 154 OR go to page 1, hit <-- again (and if on page 1) will then go to page 154. Weird or what?

In the case of if it returns directly from page 155 to page 154, it will tell me at the bottom of the page that there are 6 (say) new replies i.e. all those that I had just read on page 154. Bizarre.

I too, am experiencing a loooong wait to 'Submit' replies and 'Save' after editing.

In one instance yesterday, I made a reply to a point raised arriving at the end of the thread, submitted it, the page refreshed only to find that there were at least a dozen new posts that appeared, making my reply, er, pointless.

Cheers,

Philip