ADS-8SX Accessory Controller - Constant clicking

• RMweb Gold

I hadnt seen this issue arise on RMWeb before, so I just wanted to give a word of warning for anyone using the ADS-8SX's or ADS-2SX's from DCC Concepts.

Excellent piece of kit and I am very happy with them, so not a warning about buying them, just about an issue that has arisen recently with mine (due to my own fault).

I have 3 ADS-8SX's operating 32 solenoid point motors. I decided to move some wiring around and link a few points together to save me buying a 4th accessory decoder.

When I moved the wiring around on 3 of the motor outputs, I failed to turn off the power and discharge it using the button provided.  As soon as I touched the wire to the contact, the point motor started clicking. Thinking it just required a reset, I carried on and done it to the other two.

After a reset, the 3 solenoids continued to tick and not work when fired. The only way to stop the ticking was to remove a wire from the output and then re-wire using a different output (this time I turned off everything and discharged the power until the blue LED went out). I contacted DCC Concepts, and unfortunately, the damage I have done to those 3 outputs is irreversible and can not be repaired.

So, word of warning - Follow the instructions before messing with them, discharge all the power until the blue LED goes out and isolate the ADS's before commencing and wiring work. I now need to buy another ADS-8SX to give me sufficient outputs. 

Response from DCC Concepts:

Hi Ian,

There are two reasons why a ADS output will try to fire.

If it is being continually commanded to work, either with the manual button, or DCC command.

Or;

If the connections have been shorted under power or not discharged. This will often damage the microprocessor in that section and one of the symptons can be continuous firing.

Unfortunately, they are not repairable.

In your case, we would normally supply a replacement unit (or extra 2-way for example) at a discount, however, we have no stock of them at the moment and unsure when we will be obtaining more. There are some issues affecting their production that are frustrating us!

Best Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks 1