NEW RMweb Gold Membership - Online sign-up now set up.

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2019 at 20:45, john new said:

Thanks for the reply. Now signed up with D Debit.

Unfortunately I now find that although I can access the back copies via my MacbookPro laptop and deskbased Mac the Exact Editions app for an I-pad requires IOS 11. I have an older I-pad that sticks for IOS updates at 10.3 and this is the first app it won't run.

Not quite so appealing an offer now that I have discovered this - reason the screen shape of a tablet makes reading single pages much easier. At some point I will have to update the tablet but at upwards of £800 not an urgent priority yet.

Info passed on as this may be a more critical issue for possible subscribers without alternative reading/display options. The Pocketmags app still runs ok.

Edited by john new
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We have great pleasure in announcing the first (of many) 'Exclusive RMweb Gold Events'. 

The RMweb Gold 'Pendon Day' will take place at a date to be confirmed and, as the name suggests, is only available to RMweb Gold members. It is what we hope will be the first of many exclusive events for Gold members.

Details are as following:

• Pendon only open to pre-booked RMweb Gold members during the day. No members of the public
  • Members given exclusive ‘behind the scenes’ access          
  • A Pendon representative on-hand as a guide
  • Pendon modelling workshop tutors giving demonstrations during the day
  • Filming for a future episode of BRM TV
  • No entry fee
  • We might even arrange for a BRM expert (if we can find one! ha ha) to be on-hand for some modelling workshops

Numbers will be limited so if demand is high we may need to run a ballot.

If you're interested in becoming an RMweb Gold member you can subscribe online here

Steve

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveCole said:

We have great pleasure in announcing the first (of many) 'Exclusive RMweb Gold Events'. 

The RMweb Gold 'Pendon Day' will take place in August (date TBC) and, as the name suggests, is only available to RMweb Gold members. It is what we hope will be the first of many exclusive events for Gold members.

Details are as following:

• Pendon only open to pre-booked RMweb Gold members during the day. No members of the public
  • Members given exclusive ‘behind the scenes’ access          
  • A Pendon representative on-hand as a guide
  • Pendon modelling workshop tutors giving demonstrations during the day
  • Filming for a future episode of BRM TV
  • No entry fee
  • We might even arrange for a BRM expert (if we can find one! ha ha) to be on-hand for some modelling workshops

Numbers will be limited so if demand is high we may need to run a ballot.

If you're interested in becoming an RMweb Gold member you can subscribe online here

Steve

Will wives/partners be able to come too?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, john new said:

Will wives/partners be able to come too?

Unfortunately not, as only a limited number of places will be available. Sorry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveCole said:

Unfortunately not, as only a limited number of places will be available. Sorry.

Not a problem, your answer was what we predicted. Hoping to come myself though provided the date, when announced, doesn't clash with another pre-booked event. (Sadly both the recent Taunton SWAG day and the Fawley visit did).

Edited by john new

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I cant see the answers and I am sure someone will point out if they know, but what platfor do you access the archive magazines - is this through android/Apple etc... and also, as said in a previous post, can these be downloaded for a time to read offline - much like renting films on GooglePlay.

Cheers

• Administrators
On 02/08/2019 at 15:01, GEOEng03 said:

Hi,

I cant see the answers and I am sure someone will point out if they know, but what platfor do you access the archive magazines - is this through android/Apple etc... and also, as said in a previous post, can these be downloaded for a time to read offline - much like renting films on GooglePlay.

Cheers

Hi,

You can access the magazines via the Exact Editions website. Alternatively you can download an app (named: Exactly) for Apple and Android.

I've just emailed Exact Editions to ask about reading offline.

Steve

7 hours ago, SteveCole said:

Hi,

You can access the magazines via the Exact Editions website. Alternatively you can download an app (named: Exactly) for Apple and Android.

I've just emailed Exact Editions to ask about reading offline.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting back to me. Will check that app out.  Ideally I like viewing through the tablet so, if it works that would be ideal. 

Will wait regarding the download ability as that appeals quite a bit to me

Cheers 

Bryn  

• Administrators
18 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting back to me. Will check that app out.  Ideally I like viewing through the tablet so, if it works that would be ideal. 

Will wait regarding the download ability as that appeals quite a bit to me

Cheers 

Bryn  

Hi Bryn,

It's been confirmed that you can download to read offline.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, SteveCole said:

Hi Bryn,

It's been confirmed that you can download to read offline.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve.  I don't have a tablet and I find the process of reading the magazines online cumbersome, so I was monitoring this conversation.  Can you explain how to download for reading offline please?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/08/2019 at 08:45, teaky said:

Can you explain how to download for reading offline please?

On 05/08/2019 at 18:49, GEOEng03 said:

I'm using Railway Modeller as an example of how the "Exactly" Android app downloads magazines for off-line reading. The process will be exactly the same for RMweb Gold Members.  I do subscribe to BRM, but through PocketMags, as I've got a cracking deal on it.

Screenshot_2019-08-09-08-23-19.png.1bb27513960172d0df8f5bb855e0b843.png

Clicking on the star underneath the relevant issue will download it for off-line reading. The magazine is then stored on your device for reading on the beach etc.

You will see in my example that the September issue is currently downloading (star is incomplete) and that I haven't downloaded the "On the Rails" supplement.

Should you wish to free up some space on your device, clicking on a "full" star will give you the option of removing a synced issue.

Screenshot_2019-08-09-08-24-08.png.da66ca34e6c463e29c5360be3d585e9c.png

You can of course download and delete issues as many times as you like.

To pre-emptively answer a couple of questions....

a) The downloads are in a proprietary file format. They won't work outside of the Exactly app. That means no "backing-up" to your hard-drive or "sharing" issues with friends. It simply won't work.

b) If I were to cancel my subscription, then I wouldn't be able to read anything that wasn't already stored on my device. In theory, so long as I didn't delete anything I would still be able to access the downloads though.

c) Unlike with Pocket Mags you are NOT buying the magazine to keep, merely paying for access. Please bear this in mind whilst reading point b. 

d) There is an excellent bookmark feature. This enables you to mark pages that you may wish to refer back to. These are listed on a separate screen meaning you don't need to remember the correct issue.

@teaky I'm not aware of any way of downloading to view on a off-line computer/laptop. The desktop version of the Exact Editions website lets you save individual pages/articles but not complete issues.

I hope this is helpful to others, I'm no expert but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.I

Happy Reading,

Andrew

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

What 'star' underneath the issues?

This 'star'....

1224477475_Screenshot_20190809-1405342.png.46cb4bdbf9e6bdc7de8321abfc126ce5.png

The screenshot was taken on my Kindle Fire tablet, but the app looks the same on my phone. It may of course look different on your device.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

This 'star'....

1224477475_Screenshot_20190809-1405342.png.46cb4bdbf9e6bdc7de8321abfc126ce5.png

The screenshot was taken on my Kindle Fire tablet, but the app looks the same on my phone. It may of course look different on your device.

On a laptop/PC there is no star, you can download individual pages as a PDF using the printer icon, but that is all.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Cornholio said:

I'm using Railway Modeller as an example of how the "Exactly" Android app downloads magazines for off-line reading. The process will be exactly the same for RMweb Gold Members.  I do subscribe to BRM, but through PocketMags, as I've got a cracking deal on it.

Screenshot_2019-08-09-08-23-19.png.1bb27513960172d0df8f5bb855e0b843.png

Clicking on the star underneath the relevant issue will download it for off-line reading. The magazine is then stored on your device for reading on the beach etc.

You will see in my example that the September issue is currently downloading (star is incomplete) and that I haven't downloaded the "On the Rails" supplement.

Should you wish to free up some space on your device, clicking on a "full" star will give you the option of removing a synced issue.

Screenshot_2019-08-09-08-24-08.png.da66ca34e6c463e29c5360be3d585e9c.png

You can of course download and delete issues as many times as you like.

To pre-emptively answer a couple of questions....

a) The downloads are in a proprietary file format. They won't work outside of the Exactly app. That means no "backing-up" to your hard-drive or "sharing" issues with friends. It simply won't work.

b) If I were to cancel my subscription, then I wouldn't be able to read anything that wasn't already stored on my device. In theory, so long as I didn't delete anything I would still be able to access the downloads though.

c) Unlike with Pocket Mags you are NOT buying the magazine to keep, merely paying for access. Please bear this in mind whilst reading point b. 

d) There is an excellent bookmark feature. This enables you to mark pages that you may wish to refer back to. These are listed on a separate screen meaning you don't need to remember the correct issue.

@teaky I'm not aware of any way of downloading to view on a off-line computer/laptop. The desktop version of the Exact Editions website lets you save individual pages/articles but not complete issues.

I hope this is helpful to others, I'm no expert but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.I

Happy Reading,

Andrew

So in relation to points (b) and (c) the app doesn't check for an active subscription before working say?

I could see me using this subscription and allowing me to clear out a lot of old magazines (more room for storing trains!) but am concerned about the longevity. Not necessarily my subscription, but if say something happened to BRM or digital system changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

So in relation to points (b) and (c) the app doesn't check for an active subscription before working say?

I've just double checked this by turning off my WiFi (therefore no internet connection). I opened the app and I was able to browse and view all my downloaded magazines without any issues.

I'm therefore assuming that the app only checks for an active subscription when you download. 

Point c) is really just a reminder of the legal status of ownership. I guess that boils down to an individual's morality.

As for a long-term storage strategy, without an active subscription or if Exact Editions were to disappear, the magazine's will only be stored for the lifetime of your device (eg tablet). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

I could see me using this subscription and allowing me to clear out a lot of old magazines (more room for storing trains!) but am concerned about the longevity. Not necessarily my subscription, but if say something happened to BRM or digital system changed.

...or if there were sudden nationwide powercuts...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Like any annual subscription, if thigs change in the future you have the option of not renewing at the end of 12 months.  Hardly a longevity issue of major proportions. If you like the idea of gold membership then go for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Only just discovered this scheme, looks to be great value, though I do have to ask, are future magazines sent to us in paper or digital format? Should it be digital then that would be the only thing stopping me from signing up, unless theres an option to receive paper format?

I'm just between jobs at the moment, so once i'm sorted out i'll get a subscription sorted subject to the above clarification.

16 hours ago, Cornholio said:

I've just double checked this by turning off my WiFi (therefore no internet connection). I opened the app and I was able to browse and view all my downloaded magazines without any issues.

I'm therefore assuming that the app only checks for an active subscription when you download. 

I think there’s a distinct danger here that some people might confuse two separate issues:

1 - accessing downloaded (or “synced” in Exactly’s terminology) mags when you don’t have wifi, but do have an active subscription to BRM. 

2 - accessing those same downloads when you cancel or lapse your subscription to BRM, either with or without Wi-Fi. 

1 will certainly be OK. 2 will equally certainly NOT work. No subscription = no access of any sort. That’s the deal offered. 

Your subscription details are stored on your device, in the app.

Now, it might be possible that there could be a slight delay between you cancelling your subscription, and the app getting the message. But rest assured it will be only a brief period, unless you opt to permanently stop connecting your device ever again at the same time you cancel your sub. Most apps do these sort of maintenance tasks in the background, not just when you use the app, just like they update themselves. 

The link below gives a very clear explanation from the creators of Exactly for the approach they use. It’s not something I agree with, but it is accepted by many people as a “good thing”. Each to their own 

http://exacteditions.blogspot.com/2007/10/pdfs-downloads-and-reading-magazine-on.html

As others have said, the only true ways to retain permanent access to all the magazines is either to keep up your subscription permanently, or save pdf copies of individual pages separate from the app - a manual process, technical outside the terms of your agreement with Exactly, but it does work. 

Edited by Kiwi
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators

We make this point very clear in the membership description:

What is the BRM Digital Library?

As an RMweb Gold member you get access to a library of BRM. This includes EVERY issue of the magazine going back to January 2007 plus ALL issues going forward. Access to this library stops if you cancel your RMweb Gold membership and you never own these magazines. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

9 hours ago, SteveCole said:

We make this point very clear in the membership description:... Access to this library stops if you cancel your RMweb Gold membership and you never own these magazines. 

Sorry Steve, it could be clearer - are you saying access to magazines already downloaded onto devices would stop? This is what is causing the confusion in the two quotes below.

On 09/08/2019 at 07:43, The Great Bear said:

On 10/08/2019 at 03:08, Kiwi said:

... 2 - accessing those same downloads when you cancel or lapse your subscription to BRM, either with or without Wi-Fi. 

... 2 will equally certainly NOT work. No subscription = no access of any sort. That’s the deal offered. ...

Cornholio is talking about devices, and is correct on this point if:

• the BRM Exact Editions app is the same as the one I use on my RM subscription,
  • the Exact Editions app used has not been updated to block the ability to read pre-downloaded (synced) magazines.

If the above is true, then in my experience using an iOS device, you can still access the downloaded magazine after you let your subs lapse. I did so last year using my iPad.

As Great Bear says, you cannot re-download a magazine if you delete it, and you cannot download new magazines because access to the servers storing the magazines is blocked. This was my experience when I let my RM subscription lapse. The Great Bear would also be correct

Kiwi's linked post is from 2007, and is a red herring as it is literally saying that they will not allow issues to be downloaded, period. This is something that has obviously become available in the intervening 12 or so years.

I like the RM approach, so if this is the same, then I will convert to this scheme after my PocketMags subs expires this Autumn.

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
typo - sorry Cornholio. :)
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am currently wondering whether to go for gold membership or just subscribe via pocket mags.

I understand the difference between ‘owning’ the copy of BRM and ‘licensing’ it whilst a member of gold.

I see other advantages of Gold membership but note that the back catalogue can also be purchased through pocket mags.

The main issue for me then are the extras that come with the magazine. With the Exactly, or whatever it is called, app  do you get the additional photos and dvd content that comes with pocket mags and/or the paper edition.

4 minutes ago, BoD said:

I am currently wondering whether to go for gold membership or just subscribe via pocket mags.

I understand the difference between ‘owning’ the copy of BRM and ‘licensing’ it whilst a member of gold.

I see other advantages of Gold membership but note that the back catalogue can also be purchased through pocket mags.

The main issue for me then are the extras that come with the magazine. With the Exactly, or whatever it is called, app  do you get the additional photos and dvd content that comes with pocket mags and/or the paper edition.

Theres a link to the dvd content, but unless ive missed it ive not seen any extra photos / videos or free magazines

• Thanks 1