NEW RMweb Gold Membership - Online sign-up now set up.

SteveCole

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I see other advantages of Gold membership but note that the back catalogue can also be purchased through pocket mags.

Two different back catalogues. Gold members can access back to 2007 on the Exactly app (Free to “borrow”). Pocketmags only sell them back to Apr 2011. 

It would be nice if Pocket mags could provide the rest as well, albeit for a small per-edition charge. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Gold members can access back to 2007 on the Exactly app

And the BRM archive on Exactly is searchable, which is quite useful in my opinion. I can't see anywhere on Pocketmags where I can search my old BRMs - unless I've missed it?

I also prefer the Exactly interface for reading.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

I appear have access to the Gold functions now.  Thanks. :D

Apologies; I was on the road most of last week so I've now caught up with the Gold access to here for everyone. You'll need to email Carly at RMWebGold@warnersgroup.co.uk for the Warley ticket follow-up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, timward55 said:

I think I know the answer  - but will ask anyway. I have just joined and sent in an email request for a Warley ticket. Will this be instead of a complimentary ticket to a Warners Exhibition?

Sometimes life gives you lemonade, you will be able to have both. :)

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Dimension Rail said:

What happens to the Warley ticket if I'm not able to go this year?

Thanks

Tim got the lemonade, I'm afraid you'll have the lemons. It was a short term offer so if you can't go this year you miss on that element. You will however be entitled to a ticket to one of our three shows.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

As I am now a gold rmweb subscriber, am I supposed to see anything different? Thanks

You should have a shiny medal now and be able to access the Gold Lounge area for questions etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Andy (or the technical team at RMWeb)

I am interested in the Gold Membership, but looking in the AppStore at the Exact Editions software, it states it needs to run on OSX 11.0 or later.  I have a very reliable and hardworking older iPad (possibly 3rd generation - not sure, an eBay bargain, wifi only, turns out to have a sim slot, go figure!) BUT it is fully up to date running iOS 10.3.4 so I am guessing that this is the most modern version of the system software it will run.

So my questions are:

1) will the Gold Membership subscription work with an older version of the Exact Editions app suitable for OSX 10.3.4?

2) are you able to provide such a software solution to install?

I bought my iPad secondhand (like my iMac and my MacBook) secondhand and - quite frankly - I could not justify spending the kind of money required to upgrade any of them at this time  I mean, that's at least eight decent brand new locos, even without chips or sound!

Thanks for any help.

Stay safe

Steve S

• RMweb Gold

If you consult everymac.com you can identify exactly which version of iPad you have, and which version of iOS it can run. It appears that it is probably 4th gen. If you have iMac and MacBook available, they are surely much more comfortable for online reading. I use my iPad for travel only. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Where's the Gold Members' section of the forum gone?

Bit of a cock up at this end whilst doing some re-organisation Mike - I'm working on it!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Bit of a cock up at this end whilst doing some re-organisation Mike - I'm working on it!

For some stupid, stupid reason it had become filed in the Model Engineering area which is the equivalent of the gap at the back of the sofa. It should now be restored - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/341-rmweb-gold-lounge/

• Funny 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

So my questions are:

I honestly couldn't answer that as I haven't got the necessary kit to try it but we'll try and find out from Exact for you unless anyone with similar kit and versions can help?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

If you consult everymac.com you can identify exactly which version of iPad you have, and which version of iOS it can run. It appears that it is probably 4th gen. If you have iMac and MacBook available, they are surely much more comfortable for online reading. I use my iPad for travel only. 

Thanks, Olddudders - I'll take a look today!

Warning: about to go seriously off topic!

I have 'used' Macs since 1992, when my first machine was the Mac LC aka "pizza box" running Apple System 7 (back in the day!) together with the high red 13" Apple monitor and an Apple LaserWriter NT (300dpi, 4 pages per minute max, cost more than the Mac LC, monitor and £800+ of music engraving software combined!). Why 'used'? I am a musician first and foremost and simply used the Mac as a tool/means to an end, rather than fuss about with internal upgrades, specs, cooling fans, processor speeds, command line interfaces etc, which at the time seemed to be all that Windows PC users obsessed about!

Since then, I have had various other machines (I loved my "tower of power" Mac Performa (forgotten the number!!) but in the early 2000s I rescued (with permission) a skip load of older Macs being thrown out at the University I was working at! These I stripped down, spray painted bright colours (Halfords primer and whatever neon shades were on offer!), reinstalled system software and a host of shareware/freeware educational software (all VERY easy to do!) and donated to my friend's primary school (where they used to leave BBC Model B computers by open windows hoping they would be stolen to claim the insurance!).  When I left my job, I was allowed to keep my G3 iMac (Bondi blue!), later given a second G3 iMac plus a G3 PowerBook from a professor I worked with, when he returned to America! I did buy a G3 PowerBook (by accident!) off eBay which was the first model with USB ports - and which was stolen the first day of me working in a post-16 college!

I didn't rescue the Mac IIfx - it was as big as a suitcase, had 2MB of RAM, the 2nd 1MB RAM chip costing as much as the original computer! (Note - MB not GB!!) Those were the days!! LOL! My favourite rescue item is the Mac Classic SE - 9" screen, B&W, System 6 - "state of the ark" but last time I switched it on after 5 years of storage ... "ping" and it ran perfectly! A 90s vintage computer!!

My iPad was also an eBay bargain when I won the auction - about £150 when at the time most were going between £250-£300, and was a "surprise" win in that I didn't increase my initial bid and then forgot about it! My 27" iMac was likewise a surprise win - I put an initial £650 bid in and nobody bid against it! It had been used from new at home by a graphic designer so had its memory extended and been well looked after! I know that it is 2011 vintage, purchased in 2016 and still going strong! My MacBook had a reserve price of £180 despite the fact that the owner could not get it to start due to missing the install DVD - I ended up in a long to and fro discussion with suggestions and websites to try, which he did to no avail. Eventually he offered to sell it me for £100 simply because he was fed up of trying to get it working - plus it was his daughter's in any case! I bought it, installed extra memory (simple), a new SSD hard drive (scary territory - done in underpants and a static strap in fear of zapping the innards!) and reinstalled system software starting with an old OSX installation CD (I think it was the original OSX 10.0!) then spent ages stepping up system installations until it runs well under Snow Leopard, so another monetary bargain that simply needed time to sort out. I have the parts to replace the hinge clutches and badly repaired rear cover (somebody didn't research how to remove it and snapped it trying to force it!) which is a job during lockdown, and another tricky (for me) bit of computer hackery!

So, despite plenty of experience with the kit, I don't really have much expertise! As the saying says, "All the gear, no idea"! Only thing I do know is that everything is approx 9 years behind the curve, hence the question re: the reader software!

So, totally off topic and far too much information, but it's lock down and I have time on my hands! :rolleyes:

Stay home and stay safe everyone!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just contemplating this to relieve boredom

Is access to the archive assisted by a search facility?

Will the magazine continue to be produced ………………..

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, halsey said:

Just contemplating this to relieve boredom

Is access to the archive assisted by a search facility?

Will the magazine continue to be produced ………………..

Hi,

Yes, Exact Editions has a great search facility. Type in a search term - a layout name for example - and it'll bring up every mention from the archive.

And, the current and all future issues are uploaded a week before the print magazine goes on-sale.

Hope this helps,

Steve