Help with identifying locations please

iands

• RMweb Premium

Hope I've posted this in the correct thread, please let me know if it would be better elsewhere.

Years ago I used to spend a few of my lunchtimes (and subsequently quite a bit of money) in Collectors Corner in York. Over a period of time I purchased a few photographs (amongst other things), all black & white. Most locations are identifiable because of clues in the photo (station name, signal box name, etc.), and one or two had helpful comments written on the back. However, I have four of which I can't identify the locations. I feel certain there is someone on RMweb that will be able to identify most of the locations. I say most, the last one I think will be a tad difficult as there isn't much surrounding detail to on, but then again someone may well have seen, or even own a copy of the same photo, and know all the details.

Here goes, the first one is inside a TMD somewhere. I think I have ruled out one or two possibilities, but wonder if it could either be Finsbury Park or Toton, or may be neither of these. I guess the photo would be taken early to mid '60s. Many thanks in advance to all who can help with identifying the location.

Unknown_1.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

How about Crewe Diesel - there is a Peak, a 44 I think,  and a 25 in the background.

Hi Woodenhead,

Thanks for your response. 

I had to look closely at the 'Peak' but it has a centre head code box so I don't think it is a "44". But it could still be Crewe.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Both those Class 40s were allocated to Gateshead if that's any help.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, and the early numbered 25s were too, but I wasn't sure about Gateshead as I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the inside of the TMD - well not in diesel days anyway. Still, it could be Gateshead.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

I think it's Gateshead.

Thanks Bedlington North,

Thanks for your comment. That looks like 2 'votes' for Gateshead. Thinking about it, it does "have the air" of an old steam shed converted for diesel use. I think if it were either Finsbury Park or Toton they would look a bit more modern and "crisper".

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Another vote for Gateshead. Nice wide straight shed and the motive power is spot on. I did wonder about Thornaby, but think not given the locos, and IIRC that shed was a bit smaller.

John.

Hi John,

Thanks for you comment. If "3" can be taken as a "general consensus", its looking like Gateshead takes the vote.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The next photo might have more clues to help identificationUnknown_2.JPG.d3cde6b4332f9dfdd73398552e5328cd.JPG, an AHB crossing, a pole route with plenty of circuits on, an old stone built crossing keepers cottage/station masters house perhaps? Does the style of building look like it belongs to a particular railway company? Someone in the past offered a suggestion it could be on the Leamside branch, but I have absolutely no idea. I've tried looking on NLS Maps but couldn't spot anything convincing, and "Leamside" might well be a red herring in this case. Again, the photo possibly dates from the early to mid '60s.

The loco is a Peppercorn Pacific, so most likely on the East Coast Mainline or a diversionary route thereof.

The stone gatekeepers house looks to be of a style from the northeast of England, or possibly Scotland, I'd be very surprised if it was south of York.

So the Leamside route is a serious contender, but I don't recognise the specific location.

John.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Certainly looks like Gateshead, a later video here shows a very similar roof structure;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqHRm87jXc

Dave

Many thanks Dave.

Very convincing. Until someone offers an equally convincing alternative, I'll go with Gateshead.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The loco is a Peppercorn Pacific, so most likely on the East Coast Mainline or a diversionary route thereof.

The stone gatekeepers house looks to be of a style from the northeast of England, or possibly Scotland, I'd be very surprised if it was south of York.

So the Leamside route is a serious contender, but I don't recognise the specific location.

John.

Hi John,

I was thinking either northern England or Scotland. I agree, it is not south of York on the ECML, I know that area very well. I was thinking possible north of Newcastle on the ECML. Thanks for identifying the loco type, I'd "forgotten" to include that as one of the clues for some reason, doh!

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!

Thanks again John for you comments, your "So the Leamside route is a serious contender" got me to look again in a bit more detail at the Leamside branch. Lo and behold, I think it might be Follingsby Lane. Although the cottage seems to have gone, somewhat spookily the AHB pillars, a bit of track and the telegraph pole appear to have survived - take a look at the link below (hope it works).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9349435,-1.5115988,3a,75y,261.29h,84.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQcy_GAMemXaEBtuDzy0HEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, quite successful so far, me thinks. Thanks for all those that have passed on their suggestions/comments, much appreciated. However, I think the next photo is a tad more difficult. The label I have for it is "Loading MGR train" (not that helpful as I think just about everyone on here would have come up with that description). It could be pretty much anywhere where class 56s roamed - so once again, over to the esteemed RMwebbers to try and identify the actual location.Unkown_3.jpg.955ec2f4d64bd584f740917fc9456c72.jpg

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe one for posting in the Wright Writes thread.

Plenty of Eastern Region experts dwell there. They would possibly even identify the loco and date.

Jason

Thanks for the suggestion Jason.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi John,

I was thinking either northern England or Scotland. I agree, it is not south of York on the ECML, I know that area very well. I was thinking possible north of Newcastle on the ECML. Thanks for identifying the loco type, I'd "forgotten" to include that as one of the clues for some reason, doh!

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!

Thanks again John for you comments, your "So the Leamside route is a serious contender" got me to look again in a bit more detail at the Leamside branch. Lo and behold, I think it might be Follingsby Lane. Although the cottage seems to have gone, somewhat spookily the AHB pillars, a bit of track and the telegraph pole appear to have survived - take a look at the link below (hope it works).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9349435,-1.5115988,3a,75y,261.29h,84.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQcy_GAMemXaEBtuDzy0HEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not sure on that, it is close, but where the building is the ground is raised. If this link works;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.8872&lon=-1.5205&layers=10&right=BingHyb

Possibly Biddick Lane, it also has a track off to the right where there is a gate in the photo.

Dave

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, iands said:

Well, quite successful so far, me thinks. Thanks for all those that have passed on their suggestions/comments, much appreciated. However, I think the next photo is a tad more difficult. The label I have for it is "Loading MGR train" (not that helpful as I think just about everyone on here would have come up with that description). It could be pretty much anywhere where class 56s roamed - so once again, over to the esteemed RMwebbers to try and identify the actual location.Unkown_3.jpg.955ec2f4d64bd584f740917fc9456c72.jpg

Daw Mill ?

• RMweb Gold

I believe the shed is Gateshead, the crossing looks familiar but that is the best picture I've seen of a mk1 AHB without the yellow light.

The MGR bunker also looks familiar but can't put my finger on it 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Not sure on that, it is close, but where the building is the ground is raised. If this link works;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.8872&lon=-1.5205&layers=10&right=BingHyb

Possibly Biddick Lane, it also has a track off to the right where there is a gate in the photo.

Dave

Many thanks Dave,

Another serious contender.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Daw Mill ?

Thanks Dave. Never been to Daw Mill so I'll investigate further to see if I can find other photos of the area.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, iands said:

Thanks Dave. Never been to Daw Mill so I'll investigate further to see if I can find other photos of the area.

Not quite so convinced it's DM now but it's the same style of rapid loader which may give someone else a clue ! - there are some differences to the ladders and background conveyors in more modern photos, but .. things can get altered of course. Keep an open mind.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, iands said:

Thanks Bedlington North,

Thanks for your comment. That looks like 2 'votes' for Gateshead. Thinking about it, it does "have the air" of an old steam shed converted for diesel use. I think if it were either Finsbury Park or Toton they would look a bit more modern and "crisper".

I have heard that shed referred to as the 'Pacific' shed.

The 56 shot on MGRs is definitely not Daw Mill, I used to sign it and it didn't / doesn't look like that, the topography is all wrong, it's more likely to be Drax or Eggborough… ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Thanks 1