Hollesley (Suffolk) Seaside Terminus

Classsix T

Spoilt for choice lately for RTR ex-GE region 1950s stock to run on a proposed (but never built) Hadleigh branch extention (working project name "Akenfield"), I acquired rather more traction and stock than could possibly be justified on a very short scenic section layout.

I then pondered where one might have realistically been able to spot almost anything shedded in region from J15s to Britannias, pilot scheme diesels and first gen DMUs. I plumped for the seaside, but where?

Much as I did for Akenfield, I perused the map of my fair county and plumped for Hollesley Bay. Spur off the East Suffolk line, couple of villages en route job's a good 'un.

Fast forward to today and as I'm printing the Rendlesham parish newsletter this notification of a history lecture on Shingle Street, and specifically 'Victorian times' catches my eye: "...the promise of a branch line from Melton be a basis to rival Felixstowe as a seaside resort."

The Rub!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help research this never was line, if indeed it was a serious proposal? Books, mag articles, Web pages, any and all assistance appreciated.

TIA. C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I cannot help with any further information, but I am absolutely fascinated by this and hope someone can fill in the gaps. I've never heard of such a scheme. I had a spell living in Campsea Ashe, the village of Wickham Market station, and working for the local authority in a role that saw me getting out and about and exploring the local area. I always thought that Hollesley would make an interesting proposal for a 'what if' scheme. It really is 'the end of the line' mind (no pun intended), I always had a bizarre feeling round there of being at the edge of the world!! Clearly it would have to be in the basis, as you highlighted, that the village had been greatly developed as a seaside resort. If not to the scale of Felixstowe, then certainly to an Aldeburgh or a Southwold. 

It would make a great scheme with ex-GER locos and stock as a rural backwater. I suppose it could have hung on to the early 1950s, like the Framlingham branch, or indeed longer if the village had been significantly developed as a seaside holiday destination.

Sorry I cannot offer anything useful but I am looking forward to seeing if anyone can provide some input. 

David

So am I David!

Whilst the Hudson etc. railway mania was going on in the rest of the country, East Anglia never had much to offer prospective investors with regards mineral traffic. But the rise of the trip to the seaside during the Victorian/Edwardian era negates much of that.

C6T. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classsix T said:

So am I David!

Whilst the Hudson etc. railway mania was going on in the rest of the country, East Anglia never had much to offer prospective investors with regards mineral traffic. But the rise of the trip to the seaside during the Victorian/Edwardian era negates much of that.

C6T. 

Definitely! I love Norfolk and Suffolk, having lots of family scattered across East Anglia and having spent many happy family holidays there. I also had a spell working down there too and so it is a special place to me. One day I would like to have another spell living in the area.

Another potential interesting 'what if' is the proposal for conversion of the Southwold Railway to standard gauge by the GER/LNER. Also, if the Mid Suffolk Light had realised their grandiose plans, rather than petering out as ended up happening. There is potential for looking at other coastal branches too, to Orford for instance. 

No, have never heard of any scheme to construct a line to the Hollesley area, so would be interesting to find out any further details. Not exactly a lot of habitation in the area, even today - unless you include the prison(s)!

Only other "possible" line in the area (apart from the MSLR Kenton-Westerfield one that got as far as Debenham) that I'm aware of was the Felixstowe to Felixstowe Ferry line, as that has at least been mentioned in some books.

• Like 1

BTW, "Akenfield" is a project I started to just watch some trains go by. As such it's a tiny scenic section part of a roundy (2, 3 & 4 radius curves). No station, but the justification for its existence is the goods yard receives equipment for the nearby RAF Wattisham.

For Hollesley (change for Orford?) I wonder if I could justify similar military traffic for Woodbridge, Bentwaters and the nuclear detonator test facility at The Ness. More research needed.

The late Fifties is a period that fascinates me, that airmen at the sharp end of technological achievements in jet propulsion going to Mildenhall might well have got there courtesy of a Victorian built J15 in wooden bodied coaches!

C6T. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Classsix T said:

For Hollesley (change for Orford?) I wonder if I could justify similar military traffic for Woodbridge, Bentwaters and the nuclear detonator test facility at The Ness. More research needed.

Definitely. There could be opportunity to run a wide variety of interesting traffic to military facilities at Woodbridge and Rendlesham. It would help justify the line staying open into the 1950s and beyond, even in Hollesley didn't develop into a holiday resort. See much of the Aldeburgh branch being retained to serve Sizewell. 

18 hours ago, Classsix T said:

The late Fifties is a period that fascinates me, that airmen at the sharp end of technological achievements in jet propulsion going to Mildenhall might well have got there courtesy of a Victorian built J15 in wooden bodied coaches!

The Mildenhall branch is my favourite in Suffolk. Peter Paye's in-depth volume in the line is absolutely wonderful. I know what you mean - ageing ex-GER locos, such as E4s and J15s, and stock but the brave new world of a modern RAF base and all the American personnel in the doorstep! I have always toyed with a 'what if' scheme based on the RAF utilising the branch to transport freight, hence making to survive rather than close as a rural backwater. It's not beyond the realms of possibility! My aunt and uncle used to live in Beck Row so know the area really well and often doodle ideas based on this..... how about a mythical extension from Mildenhall terminus through to RAF Mildenhall, and even Lakenheath, connecting with the Thetford line........ I'll keep dreaming! 

David 

• Like 1

Unfortunately we seem to have drawn a blank on this one. What I will say though C6T is that don't let it put a half to your plans. It's your railway and a great proposal in my opinion. I hope you decide to press on to model Hollesley and the Suffolk coast!