Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Jack Trollope - Shortliner RIP

Chris Gilbert1

• RMweb Gold

Very sad to hear this.

Whilst I hadn't (knowingly) met Jack, he had a strong interest in American modelling I often came across him on the forum.

All the best to Lou family and friends at this difficult time.

Thanks Chris for letting us know.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting this - even if it is sad news.

I've known Jack for over 25 years ad he has had a massive effect on what I model and how I model.

I have some items that he gave me for my interpretation of YVT.

Once build them they will be named after him as memorial pieces.

Jack had so many ideas that he was still working on and his input will be much missed.

Thanks

Phil H

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear this.  I seldom corresponded directly with Jack though we sometimes exchanged views on a range of topics.  He was, as others have said, very much a par of the RMweb furniture and family and will be sorely missed.  My thoughts go to his nearest and dearest.  RIP Jack.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Jack was kind enough to send me a copy of John Ahern's book and encouraged me to publish my first article ( in Model Trains International).

Very, very sad news. RIP Jack.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I read it on FB a short time ago. Jack, Carl Arendt and John Flann were Modellers’ i greatly admired for their wit and artistry in our world of modelling railroading. My condolences too his family.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear that. I think I first had contact with him through a shared link through the late Carl Arendt, another much missed character from our world.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Simon

• Agree 1

Very sad news indeed.

I was fortunate to have met him several times and his passion for the hobby was infectious.

We have lost one of life's great characters.

My condolences to his family.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting this - even if it is sad news.

I've known Jack for over 25 years ad he has had a massive effect on what I model and how I model.

I have some items that he gave me for my interpretation of YVT.

Once build them they will be named after him as memorial pieces.

Jack had so many ideas that he was still working on and his input will be much missed.

Thanks

Phil H

Likewise Phil, I often felt that sharing ideas with Jack meant his input became part of the project.

The Turkey Vulture he made for me lives on on the layout.

FB_IMG_1556224714382.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is really sad news. I have been communicating with Jack since the early days of MTI. Often by phone but more recently by email. Helped me a lot with coming up with track plans for a number of my layouts. Jack I will miss you.☹️

• Friendly/supportive 1

RIP Jack, I'll miss you, pal.

His legacy will live on in the thousands of modellers he helped and inspired, myself included.

My own layout is based on one of Jack's many famous track plans. He had an insight and keen sense of creativity that few could ever match.

He helped me during my first ever exhibition, our layouts were side by side and he was a joy to speak to, and listened to my enthusiastic, if not particularly knowledgeable, ramblings all day with genuine interest.

His wisdom from that day, and every day before and since, will stick with me for as long as I can pick up a powercab.

High ball, my friend. Godspeed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sad news indeed. The micro layout community has lost one of it's leading creative figures. His numerous micro layout ideas will live on though in print and around the 'net and give us something to remember him fondly by. Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, sad news indeed. I never met Jack but we corresponded in the early days of RMweb. He was invariably kind and helpful, a true gentleman.

My condolences to his family and friends.