Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Jack Trollope - Shortliner RIP

Chris Gilbert1

• RMweb Gold

What sad news, I'd assisted him finding some part for his layout earlier in the week I didn't know him that well but the news was a great shock RIP Jack 

and condolences to his family

• Friendly/supportive 1

He was trying to help me with a thread I posted here only last week. I met Jack just the once at TVNAM, but 'knew' him from Model Trains magazine as well as RMweb.

So sorry to hear this news. As my own dad died more or less the same way, I know how quick & unexpected it can be.

RIP Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I didn't know Jack personally, like a lot of other people, my first HO American layout 'Mason's Bridge Yard' was also based on his Box Street Yard track plan.

RIP Jack / Shortliner, thank you for all the inspiration.

Edited by Geep7

Sad news indeed.

I met Jack at the Newcastle in 2011 when he was operating Jonathan Grant's superb 'Sweethome Alabama'. A real gent, always offering advice, information and encouragement. He was such a champion of small layouts and his layout plans and ideas have been a source of inspiration for me for many years. He will be sadly missed.

He will be missed.  I have followed his contributions to RMWEB over the years with great interest and we entered into an email exchange some years ago about Kadee couplers and various magnets were exchanged between us for experimentation.   I would like to have met him if only to confirm that he was as good a person as his online writing inferred.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news indeed.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack many times at numerous Inverness shows and we’d always have a blether about ideas for our shared passion for little US  layouts. 

He was always happy to help and overflowing with ideas - a true pillar of our hobby and a great loss.

Sending thoughts and prayers to his family.

RIP Jack.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Really sad to hear Jacks gone, first became aware of him through the bright ideas he could push out on the Carendt site, and then with the prolific threads and comments he would appear in on this website. Never met him, my loss, but he was kind enough to put some appreciative comments on a thread of mine, and I felt ten feet tall.

Your memory will live on, Jack, all the best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Jack dropped into a couple of threads I was running and left with nothing but praise and encouragement - for which I was very grateful.

RIP, Jack.

A true gent.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Really shocked when I read this, I echo everyone elses comments, he will be sorely missed. I always looked at his plans as a source of inspiration and valued any advice he gave. I'm sure he will be remembered and live on through many layouts.

My thoughts and condolences to his family.

Steve.

• Like 1

Absolutely gutted to hear about Jack's passing. Only met him once back about 2009 in Perth but always followed his ideas. I haven't got anything to add here that no one hasn't said. Condolences to his family.

Only just picked up on this and I'm sad to read it.  After various discussions on RMWeb we met at TVNAM a few years ago and I found him to be, in person, just as helpful and friendly as I hoped he would be.  His travelogues about travelling down to TVNAM from the wilds of Inverness were always a source of amusement.

RIP Jack.

• Like 1

I have never met Jack personally, but I got to communicate with him via the Model Railroad Hobbyist website and this website. I had really enjoyed seeing his wonderful small/micro layout examples on the Internet and in a Carl Arendt book. Jack Trollope was a great inspiration and will be missed by a lot of model railroad hobbyists.

Wendell

Idaho, USA