Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Jack Trollope - Shortliner RIP

Chris Gilbert1

Just caught up with this sad news, I never met Jack but like many I have enjoyed his layouts and plans greatly, indeed I too have lifted the "Box Street" plan for my US layout "New Sarum".

My condolences to his family and friends.

John Bruce.

• RMweb Premium

I am so sorry.

Every time Jack posted something on one of my topics, he gave me inspiration, new ideas or just old-fashioned encouragement. I never sent him a PM to say thank you, just a "thanks" icon. We never met, but I shall miss him a great deal.

My condolences to his family and friends.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Afraid I just came across this news this afternoon rather belatedly, and like everyone who has already commented above, am deeply saddened and shocked.  As with many others, I first encountered Jack's ideas on Carl Arendt's website well over a decade ago, and was struck by his capacity to not only generate simple yet effective micro-layout ideas, but also to bring them to life: whenever I saw the name "Shortliner" I knew I'd be seeing something good.  As an earlier contributor to this thread also noted, it was a proud moment for me when Jack commented only recently that an idea of mine had prompted one of his - which led me to stretch my own thinking further too.  For me, that is the mark of a true encourager, who we will all miss.  My condolences to family and friends, Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news. Jack was an inspiration with his micro layout designs and knowledge. He will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with Lou and his family.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Only just heard this news. I met up with Jack a number of times when I was up in the North. Always had interesting chat even though, then, my interest in US railroads was waning. It must be nine years since we last met, although we have conversed through here and by email a few times since. With another trip to Scotland in the offing, I was going to look him out, unfortunately, that's how I came across this news. Sadly missed.

• 1 month later...

After purchasing something on eBay a couple of days ago, I noticed the postal area and had to ask the seller "lscottem" if they knew Shortliner Jack as there probably weren't too many modellers in that area interested in American HO model railways or with a reason for selling a sizeable collection.

The seller is called Laura and she sent a very polite reply to confirm that she is a neighbour of Jack and Lou, and although alot of things have gone to her children to enjoy, realistically there was too much for them hence selling surplus items on eBay instead of them just collecting dust. 

I hope this link works:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lscottem?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 298 said:

After purchasing something on eBay a couple of days ago, I noticed the postal area and had to ask the seller "lscottem" if they knew Shortliner Jack as there probably weren't too many modellers in that area interested in American HO model railways or with a reason for selling a sizeable collection.

The seller is called Laura and she sent a very polite reply to confirm that she is a neighbour of Jack and Lou, and although alot of things have gone to her children to enjoy, realistically there was too much for them hence selling surplus items on eBay instead of them just collecting dust. 

I hope this link works:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lscottem?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I too have bought a couple of items from Laura (Iscottem) and realised that the senders address was pretty close to that of Jack, so also asked the question. Now at least one building, maybe both, will have business names that reference him.

• Friendly/supportive 1