The London Railway Record

Nick Holliday

Last weekend I travelled on the Epping & Ongar Railway, and was pleased to see the London Railway Record magazine on sale, as I haven't been able to find it elsewhere, apart from Ian Allan at Waterloo. This magazine is often overlooked, as its circulation seems to be fairly small, but the quality of some of its articles is stunning, the downside is that it's a compact publication, some 40 pages of A5, and it covers a wide remit, including latest developments as well as history.

The E&OR apparently hold whatever back numbers are available, and I was primarily drawn to October 2018 (I think it's quarterly), which has an eight page piece on the LBSC/LSWR joint station at Tooting.  But also between the covers is 17 pages on the GWR West Ealing Loop halts, which fascinatingly tells you more about the construction of GW halts than most people need to know, and a shorter piece on Hackney Downs 1872-1894, both of which sound more like Mastermind subjects!  I also picked up a couple of other recent issues, just because they contained scholarly pieces on early Metroplitan Railway stations, with lots of line drawings and early photos during and just after construction. The Met isn't my particular interest, but the quality of the articles was simply irresistible.

The problem is that each issue can only really satisfy a small audience, with little room between the main pieces for other interests, and I found many years ago that I couldn't justify a subscription, as many issues had nothing of interest to me in them, and as a result I have probably missed out on a few gems, which I'll just have to live with.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I found that whilst there was often little of interest (sometimes for whole subscription years), it s a project that I wanted to see continue, and therefore subscribe to support. Its lost it s way a little since Jim Connor passed on the reigns.

Jon

• 1 month later...