• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Love the Triumph Dolimite Sprint .....a very rapid car back in the day :pleasantry:

Is was indeed .... I think the first time I ever saw them was when we had a day out at Brands Hatch standing at Druids Bend watching them racing some big old American cars and if I remember correctly they annihilated them..... But they didn't have it all there own way when they were up against the Datsun 240z's. :ok:

Makes me feel old, (no sniggering in the cheap seats please), I used to sell the Dolomites and had a Sprint as a Demo for about a week, until it got sold.

The 33 has surprised me Jim, I had the OO Version and when trying to re number, the Body was Moulded in Blue Plastic.

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Is was indeed .... I think the first time I ever saw them was when we had a day out at Brands Hatch standing at Druids Bend watching them racing some big old American cars and if I remember correctly they annihilated them..... But they didn't have it all there own way when they were up against the Datsun 240z's. :ok:

Big old American cars don't go round corners very well!!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Makes me feel old, (no sniggering in the cheap seats please), I used to sell the Dolomites and had a Sprint as a Demo for about a week, until it got sold.

The 33 has surprised me Jim, I had the OO Version and when trying to re number, the Body was Moulded in Blue Plastic.

Andy

It also surprised me because as I was scrubbing it the undercoat for this loco was silver :sorry_mini:!!!!!

The hardest part to remove was the white body lining but as you can see it scrubbed up really nicely.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning proved quite fruitful as it was spent with the airbrush once I had found all the bits & bobs that I needed to give a base coat on the MK2's. I had to stop as Mrs Christmas wanted to do something else in the kitchen....... I don't think she trusts me after the mess I apparently made the other day...:huh: I thought better of it to slip away without making a comment.... IS DINNER READY YET..:D

IMG_7509.JPG.5b6bdd501991e4a7b9ea15f5567106d8.JPG

IMG_7510.jpg.d21e2ef454b7da876fa0e9dfdcc6e683.jpg

I will let it stand for a day or so and will give it another coat and then mask up to do the roof and BR Grey around the windows.

Jim

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh I also managed to start on the Class 33 with the BR yellow on the front and window surrounds, again I will leave this for a few days to harden before I do the roof or the sides.

IMG_7507.jpg.a9c2c966e676ced51cfec1bf2be936c6.jpg

IMG_7506.jpg.6969dc1047314cf8501b60ae1f2cd2c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Excellent work young Jim, I can never leave stuff to dry, I have to get on with the next bit but tell my self to be careful not to touch the wet paint, but I always do, haha.

I know exactly what you mean..... It's always very tempting to touch it

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, jcarta said:

Oh I also managed to start on the Class 33 with the BR yellow on the front and window surrounds, again I will leave this for a few days to harden before I do the roof or the sides.

IMG_7507.jpg.a9c2c966e676ced51cfec1bf2be936c6.jpg

IMG_7506.jpg.6969dc1047314cf8501b60ae1f2cd2c9.jpg

now it the time to sand off the mould lines off the cab roofs

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 47606odin said:

now it the time to sand off the mould lines off the cab roofs

It amazing that I didn't take too much notice of these when I stripped it. It is only when you take a picture of the item it is then that you and other eagle eyed modellers notice these mould lines.

I will put that on the to do list :paint:

Jim

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 14:48, jcarta said:

Last night out came the paint stripper and the loco body submerged and left overnight. This morning whilst 'er indoors is wanting to play Mrs Christmas with the decorations I carried on with scrubbing the paint off and now after a final warm soapy bath the loco now looks like this.

IMG_7495.jpg.97f81b49b45ca4f82a5f249019f374e4.jpg

Well worth spending the extra time scrubbing it clean...... I hope the kitchen sink comes up this clean now I finished making a mess.

Hello,

Great job on the paint stripping.

Can you please say what you used to strip the paint and what dilution if  any?

I have a Heljan 31 to strip soon and would love to see it come out as well as your 33 has.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Robin Gristwood said:

Hello,

Great job on the paint stripping.

Can you please say what you used to strip the paint and what dilution if  any?

I have a Heljan 31 to strip soon and would love to see it come out as well as your 33 has.

Good afternoon Robin

I used a large mason jar, filled it with neat IPA 99.9% (Isopropyl Alcohol) and dropped the body into and left it overnight. Then got an old toothbrush and rubbed it until the old paint was removed. 

Don't forget to gently remove all the body furniture  :D

Good luck

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Robin Gristwood said:

Thanks for the info Jim.

Just need to find a jar tall enough to hold a Class 31 upright..!!! :) 

Robin

LOL..... All I done was put the loco in at night and then cleaned it and turned it around and done the other end.

These aren't my pictures but just to show you how I done mine...

image.png.d59c6dfc00920f2c7531f46e15ac49e3.png

image.png.7899e95633d3df06208447dead962b96.png

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon the MK2's where in front of the airbrush for a spot of colour to be added.

These will be left now to dry properly for a while then the roof on each one sprayed, again left to hardened before varnishing and decals added. I will have to touch up some areas, nothing that will be noticed. In the meantime I will continue with the interiors and chassis so hopefully these will be entering service sometime over Christmas.

IMG_7523.jpg.31c24bd2f94ca894941be29065c6bbfd.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg.1338cca396433e9b15f7d1ae715899a3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Today was quite a productive day with a phone call to Ray to see how he was doing and to see if he was still talking to me as I gave him a little project to do :boast:( no doubt he'll revel in it ) A little more on his project in a few days times.

So this morning started with masking up the Class 33 and Class 25 in readiness to meet the airbrush but first up was to finish putting the white lining on the MKII's, this is one job I hate but at least it's done so the next to do on these will be to spray the roof of each one in the next day or so and then to fit the window and interiors.

IMG_7545.jpg.f98b63369e0900395c833f996e6347f3.jpg

JIm

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I said earlier the loco's were masked up to meet the airbrush. First up was the Class 33 to get it's first coat of blue and this will be left over night at least to settle and dry before giving it a second coat to give it that nice deep colour.

IMG_7544.jpg.f7c410dae2882c912128b64ffef9ff65.jpg

Next up is the Class 25, this was a pain in the rear as for some reason I could get the door rails out from the body (It's the only thing that hasn't fallen off a Heljan) so they must be seriously glued in. I then spent an hour or so masking up behind the door rails but I'm glad I did as there is no overspray.

IMG_7542.JPG.eb4cbbbd6fe14da145528788c15329b0.JPG

All the windows were removed except for the front ones which were Maskol'd up as these seem to be glued in with some strong glue. Anyway it has seen the airbrush and this is how it has turned out, of course this one is going to represent the "Ice Cream Van" in the early - mid 1980's.

IMG_7543.jpg.2ff357ce3f99cee136145cdd759ec819.jpg

Once again this will be left for a few days so the paint can harden before I do something else to it so it might be time to start weathering the bogies of both loco's. P.S. 'er indoors :tender:(Mrs Christmas) hasn't moaned about the kitchen being left in an unreasonable state so I must of cleaned it properly. :yes:

Jim

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Another good day.... Both locos have received their nice grey rooves and a coat of varnish so these will be left for 24 hours before I move on to the next area. There are some area's that will need a touch up but nothing too much then the Class 33 can start to be rebuilt then onto numbering and nameplates fitted.

IMG_7555.JPG.4f622218688a6b85404110f3ffe94750.JPG

The Class 25 will need the black skirt stripe & window surrounds painted and again this one will also be ready for rebuilding then off to Ray's for the sound decoders to be fitted. 

IMG_7553.jpg.61f79ca754933265e96b84eb0361ccb3.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg.a6014f407d5bb5e8eb9717d48befe3f4.jpg

Jim

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Baggies1961 said:

The style of livery did look lovely on the 25 as did the green rail tour livery. Looking forward to seeing your project progress. What you have done so far looks great. :good_mini:

Cheers Julian, I did see this loco in all of it's guises but I do prefer it in its "ice cream van" livery. Although it was a bit of a celebrity loco it was never kept clean (which is probably why I liked it) except when it was ran in the green livery.

Jim 

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 25 has been reconstructed and will be eventually transfer to the depot of Ray for a sound chip sometime in the new year. Yesterday was spent adding some weathering. Seeing and photographing it in the 1980’s it was a bit of a celebrity but this was one loco BR never seem to keep in a clean condition, which always seemed odd to me. The cleanest I’ve ever saw it was after it’s repaint at it’s residential heritage home. 

835BBA0B-588A-4E21-BA94-32CCB1AD6049.jpeg.a5743225848b35111716096598654be5.jpeg

The bogies and tank will have some further weathering over the next few days. 

jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1