• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2020 at 16:33, pwr said:

I've got a pair of these from a 37 going begging if anyone wants them. Send me a PM and I'll send them out when I can get to a post office.

Paul R

Paul

Cheers for these, they arrived safe and sound today :good:

4 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Well I haven't done anything with the Class 33 blinds as of yet but they are definitely on my list of to do things this week. In the meantime I have got on with the MKII's and they are nearing to finishing with couplings to be added and some paint touch ups here and there.

IMG_7695.jpg.9c9ce686718070158eb32f2ab11500ca.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg.a21b401cc4cd3e2a4dca6473148b356b.jpg

I still have a couple of Pullman coaches to start as well as 2 x DMU's to start / complete. 

Jim

These are really impressive Jim

Paul R

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Paul

Cheers for these, they arrived safe and sound today :good:

My pleasure. Better to go to someone that will use them rather than sitting in a  box here!

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, I would build a few more if they were to become available just to have a set running around the layout. In all fairness, I really don't need anymore stock as we do have enough for the size of layout and I don't want to get to a stage that they just sit on a shelf gathering dust. :nono:

Mind you I do like building the stock...... That's my excuse and that's what I keep telling 'er indoors (so far I have got away with it).

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jcarta said:

I still have a couple of Pullman coaches to start as well as 2 x DMU's to start / complete. 

Jim

Ah a rest for me at last.

Jim has got enough to concentrate on for a while so (hopefully) he won't have time to find me more things to do!  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Ah a rest for me at last.

Jim has got enough to concentrate on for a while so (hopefully) he won't have time to find me more things to do!  :jester:

Funny you should mention this.................

Take the rest of the week off whilst I peruse the internet for some purchases :read:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I have started to put another Pullman on the work bench as this one has been hanging around for nearly 18 months, it is about time that this gets started.

The ends have been fitted and this morning I plan to cut a bottom for it and fit the windows. I had noticed that one of the ends need some remedial work on it as it has split.

IMG_7749.jpg.e74f01ad6832c2d7b73aea181d3859ee.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg.96bc08d4ccb0a4d74d9938ba4d4f895a.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The snow has finally arrived albeit just a light dusting..... hopefully it will be gone by midday. :drag:

So a quick photo opportunity was the order of the day. 20013 & 25912 stabled up at Knowmoor.

IMG_8090.jpg.d5058d5994f7ff4cad9eafc90c924687.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg.d2c91ff87be9df78e3570ee589532d73.jpg

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This morning was spent on the Pullman coach underside so out came the soldering iron , the spare brass box and the assortment of small screws. I never burnt my fingers either, so a result then. A quick clean up and a spray over.

IMG_8091.jpg.7f5b48a6a88f6a4bc17271ddc99b41f0.jpg

Not sure which one this will become but it will be a permanent set of 5/6 coaches,. A quick drag out of the garage for a quick piccy.

IMG_8093.jpg.67ab5c3f0cfad878959edcd22bcf992e.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg.6bb559eab24f01a00803be89300ec0aa.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A change from the Pullman coaches .....

About 2 months ago I purchased a 2 car Class 111 DMU which needed slight attention and now this is up and running with a sound chip installed and this will be put to work when the weather brightens up a bit and when my old mucca and I are allowed out from lockdown......... Boris, are you listening?

IMG_8169.jpg.146fc530a1ec38f39321d63fa7515536.jpg

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

I hope you won't mind a small criticism but the yellow from extending on the the roof looks wrong and make the ends look as if they are a representative of a bald person!  I think the from at the top should be flatter as per this image

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.93yUhqSONOvtNzJsqcGR6wHaEj?w=266&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

When this livery first came out I was in two minds about it but now looking back over the years I think its great

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Another DMU has been on the bench, not my bench I hasten to add. This one was purchased about 12 months ago and sat in the box in the conservatory until this January when I offered it to Ray to see if he wanted something to get his teeth into. He has kindly undertaken the project and has finished the Class 129, it has returned to me for preparation for some paint to be thrown on it and at some stage a sound chip will be installed.

Thanks Ray, you have done a superb job, even equalling Heljan, one of the steps have come a drift :D. Now I suppose I'II have to look on Ebay to see what I can find for you to build next :sarcastichand:.

IMG_8166.jpg.10ef8984daef8fb117a91b4b3588c9d9.jpg

IMG_8165.jpg.2808ca1cd558f2718b67e6ef667f3be9.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg.ab2944e50c876e3f77fe18e62048d930.jpg

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, pwr said:

I hope you won't mind a small criticism but the yellow from extending on the the roof looks wrong and make the ends look as if they are a representative of a bald person!  I think the from at the top should be flatter as per this image

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.93yUhqSONOvtNzJsqcGR6wHaEj?w=266&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

When this livery first came out I was in two minds about it but now looking back over the years I think its great

Paul R

Thanks Paul, I totally agree with you, it does look like a bald person... LOL.

I will have to do some to rectify this baldness so this evening will be spent looking at pictures on the world wide web..

Jim

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Parcels unit looks really good Jim. I have one to build as Hydra, the research unit

Met Cam Pullman coach would look good! Just saying!

I would like one of those which I would do as the Pullman Second in blue/grey livery as was running as an Open First ordinary coach in the Liverpool St - Parkeston Quay boat trains. I used to see these hammering non stop through Colchester whilst on my way to school. Invariably 37 hauled it would have two of these Mett Camm Pullmans adjoining an RMB. These were the only trains on the GEML with an RMB at the time as all the Norwich trains had a fill restaurant car.

Paul R

• RMweb Premium

Jim's 129 is destined to become Hydra as well. There's still a bit of work required on it but that needs to be done after it's been through the paint shop.

My first "permanent" position with BR after my 6 months training was in Silvertown Booking Office on the North Woolwich line where what I have always presumed to be a derivative of the Class 101 held sway in the mid sixties (at least). They were the yellow diamond as opposed to the blue square version. The branch also saw a couple of three car the Lea Valley units each day. These were orange star ones which I understood were only based at Stratford.

I don't know if either made it to the TOPS regime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcarta said:

Thanks Paul, I totally agree with you, it does look like a bald person... LOL.

I will have to do some to rectify this baldness so this evening will be spent looking at pictures on the world wide web..

Jim

DMU looks good. Think its the grey roof thats making it look a little odd, I'd suggest maybe bringing it forward as it seems to follow from the Rain Strip along the ridge you can see above the windows:

Class 101 DMU 54347+51201 in refurbished livery Chester M… | Flickr

Apologies for my atrocious imaging skills!!

101.jpg.df9bf9f176d21ad897e6149473335443.jpg

Is it Skytrex vintage per chance?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, D6775 said:

DMU looks good. Think its the grey roof thats making it look a little odd, I'd suggest maybe bringing it forward as it seems to follow from the Rain Strip along the ridge you can see above the windows:

Al

Due to your artwork I think I should rename you .... Van Gogh / Turner....:sarcastichand:  I think you have done a brilliant job on the front. This is a kit but not sure who's, all I can tell you, it was built and painted by Tower Models (Blackpool), apart from the yellow front the rest of it has been put together very well and I do like the livery, very smart.

Jim 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Al

Due to your artwork I think I should rename you .... Van Gogh / Turner....:sarcastichand:  I think you have done a brilliant job on the front.

Not sure about that but thank you! The refurbished livery does look smart. I am just waiting the bodies back for my Easybuild one, but its been too cold for Cam to paint it!

14 hours ago, D6775 said:

Yep thats about it!

Paul R

14 hours ago, Ray H said:

Jim's 129 is destined to become Hydra as well. There's still a bit of work required on it but that needs to be done after it's been through the paint shop.

My first "permanent" position with BR after my 6 months training was in Silvertown Booking Office on the North Woolwich line where what I have always presumed to be a derivative of the Class 101 held sway in the mid sixties (at least). They were the yellow diamond as opposed to the blue square version. The branch also saw a couple of three car the Lea Valley units each day. These were orange star ones which I understood were only based at Stratford.

I don't know if either made it to the TOPS regime.

These would be the original batch of Met Cam units which predated the 101 and 111. As you say they were Yellow Diamond and could only couple to the early Derby lightweight units a batch of which were also based in East Anglia.  They had the streamlined air dam under the buffers which the 101's didn't.

Paul R

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A glorious day, weather wise. There is something unusual in the sky today that hasn't been a round for a while....

I took the opportunity to clean the top half of Class 129 this morning and this afternoon gave it a blast with some etched primer in readiness for the next coat of paint but that won't be for about a week or so. This will give me a little time to sort the bottom half out.

IMG_8177.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2021 at 17:24, D6775 said:

Class 101 DMU 

The Class 101 / 111 never did look right so Ray decided to get his filler out and started rebuilding the front for me and I don't even think BREL at Doncaster works could have done a better job. The DMU's front now looks more presentable so a quick lick of paint on the front was required, the next step for this unit is to make and install a drivers control desk and add some lights, then she'll be put to work very soon.

IMG_8219.jpg.b76b3ea8e04008044730a02f7e447b70.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1