• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pwr said:

You'll need to be on the lookout for a Westdale kit for the Derby Single Unit!!!

I have one built as a green original version!  If you track back far enough in Black Notley you will see it!

Paul R

That does look nice Paul but so does my favourite diesel next to it ...... You can't beat a good Class 40 :good:

image.png.e1628bab3bfc4307a2a8dc676dc3d897.png

Jim

• Like 4

Yes you cant beat a good class 40. That one is a Parkins kit but I didn't build it. I also have a blue Heljan. I think the Parkins one is too narrow. if it isn't then the Heljan is too wide!!!

Some bits fell off the Parkins version and need to be glued back - I must get round to it. I also had problems with it shorting on the front trailing axles which I fixed with masking tape. Its a well built model that said and is still available from PMRMP

I have the centre head code version on pre-order but I must confess I would like a split box version.

Paul R

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pwr said:

Nice Jim. Do you plans for any more research vehicles - Iris would be a good companion.

Paul R

Paul

I have a split headcode Class 40 which I acquired when I visited Skytrex one day and Dave kindly showed me around his empire, what a great treasure trove, shelves full with bits and bobs on so I just had to have it. Anyway here's a picture of my "IRIS" which will have some new decals put on in the near future and Ray's "Derby Lightweight"

1626361981_AyrRoadVol01(326).JPG.163bc500fdbaf9b8ef5d99669ef566e3.JPG

2120895761_IMG_5835(7).JPG.aec3eb7980e6b19497f3f0d0332e9dff.JPG

Jim  

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 8

Nice Jim

The original Derby units and the 129 parcel cars had I think the same MU type as did the original batch of Met  Cams - yellow diamond I think. You could run them in multiple!

Despite my renewed interest in departmentals I have no intention of repainting mine

Paul R

5 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes you cant beat a good class 40. That one is a Parkins kit but I didn't build it. I also have a blue Heljan. I think the Parkins one is too narrow. if it isn't then the Heljan is too wide!!!

Some bits fell off the Parkins version and need to be glued back - I must get round to it. I also had problems with it shorting on the front trailing axles which I fixed with masking tape. Its a well built model that said and is still available from PMRMP

I have the centre head code version on pre-order but I must confess I would like a split box version.

Paul R

I have one to build. Most images show the model on the narrow side. Not sure how that might be sorted... 

I'd be happy if mine turned out like yours.. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, woodyfox said:

I have one to build. Most images show the model on the narrow side. Not sure how that might be sorted... 

I'd be happy if mine turned out like yours.. 

I think you either have to accept it or embark upon major surgery. I have seen it said that the 56 from the same source has a problem with its roof and I have seen builders slice it down the middle and insert a 5mm strip to make it wider which seems a bit extreme but I guess you could do the same for the 40. As an alternative I guess you could get some of the JLTRT class 40 cabs which I gather are available, take the front off the PRMRP body and then cut that in half. The cabs would give a guide and the surgery not as extreme. The only other things you'd ned to replace would be the stretchers for the bogie mounts (and possibly widen the bogies). 

I have to say I was happy enough with mine when I bought it and for the most part you don't look at it head on. I have no plans to dispose.

Paul R

1 hour ago, pwr said:

I think you either have to accept it or embark upon major surgery. I have seen it said that the 56 from the same source has a problem with its roof and I have seen builders slice it down the middle and insert a 5mm strip to make it wider which seems a bit extreme but I guess you could do the same for the 40. As an alternative I guess you could get some of the JLTRT class 40 cabs which I gather are available, take the front off the PRMRP body and then cut that in half. The cabs would give a guide and the surgery not as extreme. The only other things you'd ned to replace would be the stretchers for the bogie mounts (and possibly widen the bogies). 

I have to say I was happy enough with mine when I bought it and for the most part you don't look at it head on. I have no plans to dispose.

Paul R

Yours is a fine looking model. Without hijacking the thread, i have also been closely examining the PRMRP 25 offering which suffers a range of dimensional 'oddities'. I've (probably) decided to give that one a miss.... 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Yours is a fine looking model. Without hijacking the thread, i have also been closely examining the PRMRP 25 offering which suffers a range of dimensional 'oddities'. I've (probably) decided to give that one a miss.... 

You have to remember that the PRMRP kit range first appeared in the early 1980s and are mostly unchanged. Google Post War Prototypes.

38 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

You have to remember that the PRMRP kit range first appeared in the early 1980s and are mostly unchanged. Google Post War Prototypes.

Indeed. David parkin will tell you they were originally designed as set of parts rather than a kit. With a bit of effort they still make up into decent models. I am making a 5 car freightliner set and its all good as far as I am concerned.

Paul R

42 minutes ago, pwr said:

Indeed. David parkin will tell you they were originally designed as set of parts rather than a kit. 

I suspect that the first thing that David will tell you is to spell his name correctly! 

221181097_Screenshot2021-03-09at11_16_38.png.86955fd62479245b1e635065d1a848f9.png

Dave

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Indeed. David parkin will tell you they were originally designed as set of parts rather than a kit. With a bit of effort they still make up into decent models. I am making a 5 car freightliner set and its all good as far as I am concerned.

Paul R

Yes thats right, i have built  nearly all over the years but prefer RTR now!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodyfox said:

6 hours ago, pwr said:

Paul R

4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I think these kits were great in their day and still are, I would love to be able to build one of these kits but I am not brilliant with a soldering iron and I envy people that can build these..... As other companies start to bring their wares to our hobby I believe we all look for perfection and why shouldn't we when these models cost hundreds of pounds each.

The one's that i am looking forward to (if they ever come into production) are the KMS Railtech IC125 & DJ Model's Class 23 Baby Deltic. Although the Baby Deltic is out of my era .....No1 rule applies 

Edited by jcarta

2 hours ago, jcarta said:

I think these kits were great in their day and still are, I would love to be able to build one of these kits but I am not brilliant with a soldering iron and I envy people that can build these..... As other companies start to bring their wares to our hobby I believe we all look for perfection and why shouldn't we when these models cost hundreds of pounds each.

The one's that i am looking forward to (if they ever come into production) are the KMS Railtech IC125 & DJ Model's Class 23 Baby Deltic. Although the Baby Deltic is out of my era .....No1 rule applies 

Yes both the 125 and baby Deltic are on my wish list. 

Paul R

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, pwr said:

Yes both the 125 and baby Deltic are on my wish list. 

Paul R

Paul

It looks like the Baby Deltic will be a non starter as the company was wound up and no longer trading. That will be a bit lighter on the old wallet I suppose. :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Paul

It looks like the Baby Deltic will be a non starter as the company was wound up and no longer trading. That will be a bit lighter on the old wallet I suppose. :)

Mmm, plenty of EE models around to make one up.....

I've got some spare 37/40 etched brass cab windows to get you started.... 

16 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Now there's a thought. Just liken the real project to recreate one. I have a 4mm version that was done the same way many years before Heljan did theirs.

You could use a pair of the class 20 bogies, scratch build the chassis and cut down a 37 body as you suggest. Job done!

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, woodyfox said:

5 hours ago, pwr said:

Now there's a thought. Just liken the real project to recreate one. I have a 4mm version that was done the same way many years before Heljan did theirs.

You could use a pair of the class 20 bogies, scratch build the chassis and cut down a 37 body as you suggest. Job done!

Paul R

I think that is a lot of work, although it would be fun doing it. I did look at some of my photos from my visits to Barrow Hill and seeing  what was needed to complete by what the Class 23 project has had to do, it will be major surgery to a Class 37 shell as grills and windows will need moving and to build a chassis as well for it to sit upon. 

Jim

Jim

It won't be a  priority since an RTR version will be announced as soon as I finish it. I did check the Gaugemaster web site and you can get a 37/4 body for £75 but there is no stock. Nothing on that well known auction site either. So for now a non-starter.

Paul R

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, pwr said:

Jim

It won't be a  priority since an RTR version will be announced as soon as I finish it. I did check the Gaugemaster web site and you can get a 37/4 body for £75 but there is no stock. Nothing on that well known auction site either. So for now a non-starter.

Paul R

PRMRP's 37 body shell in brass might be a cheaper option. I would imagine the class 20 bogie castings are fairly cheap too.... 

If i'd gone ahead with a plan for a North London line around Harringay Green Lanes area concept i might've considered a baby deltic... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2021 at 15:21, jcarta said:

I can make these two into one good gear as each they are split on different gears, result.

Given how easily they split, do you think you'll be able to get one off an axle and back on the other?

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Given how easily they split, do you think you'll be able to get one off an axle and back on the other?

It'll be worth a try but whether it lasts any length of time I won't be putting any money on it.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, class27 said:

Take a needle file across the serrations on the axle held in a mini drill, or similar, just to take a couple of tenths off the peaks and it will work fine. They press on and off easily

I'll give that a whirl and report back

• Like 1