• RMweb Gold

The 101 /111 DMU has returned from Ray's after having lights fitted and at the same time a replacement new motor as the old one was soooooo noisy. It has had a test run up and down the layout and it will be put to work in the coming weeks.

IMG_8374.JPG.46be199a6461f5cc594e293a27195dba.JPG

IMG_8377.JPG.61a38f9aa1b704815726b6ed7de99176.JPG

We have decided to put a red lamp in the cab rather than have separate LED's on the nose, I just wanted something different. The roof still needs to be painted and some decals fitted but it looks good and runs well. Only a week to go and then Ray can come round and we can start to get on with some more bits and pieces on the garden section of the railway ....... I've got my list ready for Ray :paint:

IMG_8378.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today was a great day on a couple of sides .... Ray came around and we spent an hour or so playing with a couple of kettles on the railway. Ray bought two locomotives around for a run out and what a couple of beauties, first up is a very heavy A4 and then he produced a nice crab both had some awesome sounds on them. 

59B73108-31B0-437D-B159-E17E52C9F775.jpeg.86efd5bf95e3ff61d8df69a1a682c355.jpeg

D203960E-6D4A-4302-A89C-DD33B8704D18.jpeg.19716ec91ec2d76f522c46cf43cab140.jpeg

After Ray went I had a cheeky half hour running some real beauties... Class 25’s , 37’s & 40’s. 

Then I met my son and his girlfriend for a lovely long catch up and BBQ ..... A fantastic day :yahoo:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

If I can sort out the Crab's reluctance to move before it has to go back to its owner I might be tempted to bring them both round again - weather permitting - so that we check whether the Crab will work somewhere other than on my test track in the garage and, more so, to get a picture of the A4 at the head of your Pullman rake, shades of the Yorkshire Pullman.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Seems strange that the Crab doesn't want to move but your more than welcome to bring them round for testing purposes ( I must use that excuse in the future ^_^) .... I am sure we can wield the Pullman stock out for a photo shoot, best dust the stock off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to show that Ayr Road was up and running and the only part of the railway to suffer over the long winter months were two points that required the blades to be re-soldered as they had come adrift, everything else worked as it was designed to do so I am one happy bunny. So a short video made.

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, A big thanks must go to my good mate Ray. He took the build project on for me and he has done a superb job but we needed to put extra pick ups on the other bogie so she doesn't gap herself over any points. She is a superb runner, hopefully she will see a lot of action in the coming months.

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 2

Morning Jim. I am about to venture into the great outdoors in the coming weeks and I wondered do you use a bus wire for your garden layout or do you rely on the continuity of the rails? I also need to work out how to change a few points and add/hide/protect some frog Juicers. I was planning on only having three points but I have had a brain wave where I may be able to slot in a couple of long sidings to add/store/remove stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al

I am looking forward to your proposed venture, you won't regret it....

Initially on the MKI version we had a bus bar and loads of other stuff hidden under the boards but this was just a pain if something failed as we kept having to solder upside down. On the MK2 version I wanted everything positioned on the front / top of the boards for easy access just in case something went awry. All rails joins have fishplates and then the rails are bonded leaving approximately a 1-2mm gap for expansion and all the point motors (servo's) & frog juicers are hidden with buildings, you can see these photos on page 9 I believe.

If you need any other info just ask and we'll post pictures etc

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al

Here are some pictures of how we have done it on Ayr Road

We built a platform on the baseboard to seat the point motors and frog juicers to keep any rain water away from the electrics

1978901953_AyrRoadVol02(100).jpg.d194a7e6d2c70a859787f993d1fe3a94.jpg

And these are then housed within the signal box or outbuildings 

868883210_AyrRoadVol02(101).jpg.952623105bb105ed0a9c1ae6eb2f2483.jpg362513216_AyrRoadVol02(102).jpg.87c99becfefd5c57b8dd55fb8e7fa239.jpg992349258_AyrRoadVol02(113).JPG.ac9f2be37556630823246a44bebe93a2.JPG

The wiring to the main board in the garage is run through 25mm plastic tubing fixed on the front of the board

419917568_AyrRoadVol02(103).jpg.7c8bf1bf5a619867f0fb4bcf92817f0d.jpg1730341856_AyrRoadVol02(116).jpg.c8bf24b5800b3733b5f2d143d9faacbe.jpg

I hope this gives you some ideas and food for thought

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll add that the points are servo operated via the MERG board like the one in the last picture above. The servos are operated via push-buttons linked to NCE mini-panels which themselves are located in removable control "panels". These are also laid on a 3mm thick plastic floor so that water can't get into their inner workings.

We can (and occasional do) change points via the select accessory option on the throttle/cab

The control bus - a 6 way flat ribbon cable - runs around the layout and has cuts at several places which are then linked via a three way RJ12 connector (in a waterproof but openable) box so we can connect either a throttle or the relevant control "panel" whenever we need to. We can also plug throttles into the control "panels".

The layout is divided into three power districts. The track power to the two in or adjacent to the garage have their own connections either side of the break between them. The third has a 2.5mm2 mains cable linking the garage (where the mains power is) to the end of that power district's track nearest to the garage.

The accessory bus uses 1.5mm2 mains cable. which runs around the layout.

All the mains cables have their outer sheath removed so there's only the conductors in the trunking/pipes.

There's a 12v DC supply fed from each end of the layout. The central part of the layout doesn't need a 12v supply so it isn't provided (although it can be in the future by extending one of these supplies. Having the two supplies overcomes possible voltage drop problems and means we can use slightly thinner cable.

As Jim says, ask away if you have any questions and one of us will get back to you as soon as we can.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks both! I am thinking of running the power bus between the two tracks then it will be covered in loose ballast so can be unearthed if need be. Still not sure how to approach the points but once we have a base to build on I can re-visit. tempted to leave them as manual but with frog juicers attached as they will be easily accessible from the back of the bed and once two trains are out that will be about it until we come to swap them over.  The whole thing will be on top of concrete blocks within a raised flowerbed. Hopefully have some of the blockwork in by the end of the week. Couldn't resist having a quick play placing a couple of lengths of track this morning. Turbots & the 08 we're the only items of stock easily to hand this morning.

GL1.jpg.36dfd1684965137c88d3db5ff6c1fc75.jpg

GL2.jpg.7d330afb577bbc65013018fe5d754264.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A great day, spent the morning with Ray messing about with the railway and just testing out the points / electric's from the winter shut down and all is good. Ray had done some bits on the main power board and that returned toady and refitted and tested. So as the weather was the best so far this year I thought I'll get the beast out and have a little run around the Knowmoor area, sit back and have a watch.

• Like 7

On 06/04/2021 at 15:22, jcarta said:

Just to show that Ayr Road was up and running and the only part of the railway to suffer over the long winter months were two points that required the blades to be re-soldered as they had come adrift, everything else worked as it was designed to do so I am one happy bunny. So a short video made.

Jim

Cracking footage of the ‘Working’ snow plough 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well today started off as a good day until I put a screw through the main central heating pipe (lots of explicit words could be heard all over the county). I did have time to make another small video with other locos involved this time. I hope you enjoy ... 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, jcarta said:

Well today started off as a good day until I put a screw through the main central heating pipe (lots of explicit words could be heard all over the county).

That's never good. I put a screw through a water pipe in the old house one evening, we we're having new carpets the following day and some of the floor boards were loose, so I screwed them back in through the old holes, totally forgetting we're re-routed the pipes underneath. Good job we know a plumber quite well, unfortunately not before I'd had to drill holes in the kitchen ceiling to let the water drain out! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, D6775 said:

That's never good. I put a screw through a water pipe in the old house one evening, we we're having new carpets the following day and some of the floor boards were loose, so I screwed them back in through the old holes, totally forgetting we're re-routed the pipes underneath. Good job we know a plumber quite well, unfortunately not before I'd had to drill holes in the kitchen ceiling to let the water drain out! 

Exactly the same as I have just done..... I called a plumber and I was quoted £446 + VAT, of course I had to ask, "was he completely re-plumbing the house?", of course I had to let him go but I'm sure he was related to Dick Turpin !!!!. Called another plumber who spent 2 hours fixing the issue and cost me £180. Luckily my carpets aren't due for another 2 weeks or so.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Exactly the same as I have just done..... I called a plumber and I was quoted £446 + VAT, of course I had to ask, "was he completely re-plumbing the house?", of course I had to let him go but I'm sure he was related to Dick Turpin !!!!. Called another plumber who spent 2 hours fixing the issue and cost me £180. Luckily my carpets aren't due for another 2 weeks or so.....

Ours were already down by the time we noticed, thankfully we know quite a few tradesmen!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

4 weeks has past and I haven't put anything on about the layout. The excuse is that I have been decorating the house and now on the home straight.

As we rebuilt the outside section last year I wanted to sort the garage out as I found I had more rubbish stored here, there and everywhere and could never find anything I wanted so last week a trip to the timber merchants to purchase some wood to get the work bench underway. The shelving will be replaced with additional storage for the stock so this can be removed from the layout. This is where we, Ray and I got to on Saturday.....

IMG_9003.JPG.0986020766ed84156a96e4bd50a9a741.JPGIMG_9004.JPG.5ef5040478ea9f532fc18406a70b5390.JPGIMG_9005.JPG.bde1f624e724d0c0adebdb0c914767ba.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning Ray arrived to help out by putting in a few hours with me. We carried on with the bench framework so we have a bench that we can work from rather than using the tumble dryer as a bench for the chop saw....

So here we are for Sunday ......

IMG_9013.JPG.daaba8fb1a5f0dc6bd398a9d44b2d6a7.JPGIMG_9014.JPG.16f8ed8e1d91ae5a885b2420dc08834e.JPGIMG_9015.JPG.8998d3a84cb8f3df8ada85f5406c505f.JPG

The shelves will be reinforced in the next day or so by installing a rod through each one to prevent any future sagging. Under the bench I will have some hidden shelving that will hold some tools like the small table saw etc, all in all I should now have enough room and storage for everything..... The local refuse centre are going to love me in the coming weeks with all the rubbish that I will be taking there.

Jim

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jcarta said:

4 weeks has past and I haven't put anything on about the layout. The excuse is that I have been decorating the house and now on the home straight.

As we rebuilt the outside section last year I wanted to sort the garage out as I found I had more rubbish stored here, there and everywhere and could never find anything I wanted so last week a trip to the timber merchants to purchase some wood to get the work bench underway. The shelving will be replaced with additional storage for the stock so this can be removed from the layout. This is where we, Ray and I got to on Saturday.....

IMG_9003.JPG.0986020766ed84156a96e4bd50a9a741.JPGIMG_9004.JPG.5ef5040478ea9f532fc18406a70b5390.JPGIMG_9005.JPG.bde1f624e724d0c0adebdb0c914767ba.JPG

I've found the Hammer Jim.

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, jcarta said:

This morning Ray arrived to help out by putting in a few hours with me. We carried on with the bench framework so we have a bench that we can work from rather than using the tumble dryer as a bench for the chop saw....

So here we are for Sunday ......

IMG_9013.JPG.daaba8fb1a5f0dc6bd398a9d44b2d6a7.JPGIMG_9014.JPG.16f8ed8e1d91ae5a885b2420dc08834e.JPGIMG_9015.JPG.8998d3a84cb8f3df8ada85f5406c505f.JPG

The shelves will be reinforced in the next day or so by installing a rod through each one to prevent any future sagging. Under the bench I will have some hidden shelving that will hold some tools like the small table saw etc, all in all I should now have enough room and storage for everything..... The local refuse centre are going to love me in the coming weeks with all the rubbish that I will be taking there.

Jim

Nice job Boys.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1