• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, D6775 said:

56 & 47 both look nice! I'm looking forward to the Heljan ones, not sure what I'll end up with yet, need to finish a few others first!

I will definitely be going for the Class 56 when they arrive. If I can sweet talk 'er indoors' (birthday & Christmas) then I will push my luck to get another 47 for the collection..... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

Over the past few days I have been dotting around with the railway but this time spending building or altering stock. I will start with the building side and come back to the stock alteration later.

I was going to scratch build a signal box for Knowmoor but after a change of heart I found a laser cut box that would suit the area, I needed quite a large signal box so it was purchased and hence I have started to build it and take use of the good weather to spray the area's that required it, basically all of it. 

Here are the pictures from box to where I am now but I do need to buy  drainpipes, interior and a few more bits.

The bare bones

IMG_5759.JPG.e95a30a3e5a5211d1d7dda43f8a7b399.JPG

The roof section ( I need to wire up some LED's )

IMG_5762.JPG.b6fa996e173d16f50e9e61727a42f093.JPG

The carcass just held together on it's own

IMG_5764.JPG.152c8b9fa26515d24328c89040ceb52d.JPG

A rather large interior.

IMG_5768.JPG.f3d595f2ac84285d60e4308018e93078.JPG

This is where I am at ....

IMG_5771.jpg.322e9eee1b51441004442790ac0c6ea4.jpg 

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jcarta said:

Class 47, D1501 heading back to the TMD on a sunny evening.

Those tail lights look illuminated in which case its going in the wrong direction for the TMD and on the wrong line!

:jester:

Edited by Ray H
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jcarta said:

What a glorious day :sungum:....

Well been a bit quiet over the last few days as I have been building a new addition for Knowmoor as the traction department required a new building to check over the loco's as they arrive prior to refuelling as they didn't like getting wet on rainy days. Well the builders, as they weren't furloughed got straight to work and created this little structure. Did ask Prince Charles to officially open it but he has been told to stay at home (age thing - Covid19).

So 45144 just drove straight up in readiness for a "kwik fit" check over.

And the eagle eyed RM Webbers that has noticed that the fence has been painted, I thank you....:good:

DSC_0344a.jpg.2393db54b677d56014ceb0e023e43c4d.jpg

DSC_0346a.jpg.96c955f1999fddb4cb8b3952f4a16487.jpg

DSC_0349a.jpg.0adaa4cae50b83b1c342a3d5e375cf2c.jpg

DSC_0351a.jpg.4f767407fd2130f15bbd765e0b9b1522.jpg

Right back to my sunbed.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well Ray has finally got his Derby Lightweight sprayed up (after about 5 years) and it is looking very nice..... Once lockdown is done & dusted we will put it in to revenue service .....

IMG_5837.JPG.cae0997dba2c086c48fae8f9a465fe78.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG.9b5d19eddb3ae65e61825db08a997373.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG.3f34fd5bfb0bfc8cff6037b91f1e396f.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The kit is by intentio Paul and it is very straight forward to put together however if you are going to install any sort of lighting then I would sort this prior to gluing all the pieces apart from this it's a very enjoyable kit to build

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today has been spent stripping down one of my Pullmans in readiness for the paint shop and at the same time I will be looking into detailing the interior as I have seen some on here that the owners have gone to great lengths on the detail. Here is where we are up to after spending quite a few hours on it.

IMG_5908.jpg.e9cd275962da9c2928e88ed3cad6d24f.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of days ago I spoke to Shawn at Easy Build to tell him that I had a project that required some blank sides of MK I coaches. Shawn was happy to supply these parts and they duly arrived today. I already owned a TPO coach and I wanted to increase the fleet so I thought I would turn my hand to see if I could build one, if successful then I will build a few of them to run around as a set on Ayr Road. 

In between working on the Pullman I started on the bodysides and this is how far I have got today with the assistance of Ray who cut the windows for me.

IMG_5904a.jpg.4c4a3199ce793fb9647fe7de2dacfda8.jpg

I will add the sliding doors tomorrow and then offer it up to a spare chassis that I have, if okay I will give it a coat of primer then I will call Shawn to order up some further parts.

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 3

On 31/05/2020 at 08:32, D6775 said:

Looking good there, will have to follow you TPO build as I am sure we could make use of some. Got to finish may charter rake and still waiting on Shawn's Met Cam Pullmans for a project.

Is he doing Met Cam Pullmans?

Desperately want two of them. Back in the 70's there were two in the Harwich boat trains. I think they were second class Pullmans painted in blue/grey rather than the reversed grey/blue and they were for first class passengers. One set came through Colchester as I was getting off my train to school - always 37 hauled. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, pwr said:

Desperately want two of them. Back in the 70's there were two in the Harwich boat trains. I think they were second class Pullmans painted in blue/grey rather than the reversed grey/blue and they were for first class passengers. One set came through Colchester as I was getting off my train to school - always 37 hauled. 

I do believe Shawn has some Pullman's in the pipeline if I remember correctly as I'm sure I see them advertised at a show, what one's he is planning I'm unsure but I will ask him later when I place an order and get back to you.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2020 at 08:32, D6775 said:

Looking good there, will have to follow you TPO build as I am sure we could make use of some. Got to finish may charter rake and still waiting on Shawn's Met Cam Pullmans for a project.

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Chaps

I have just got off the dog & bone with Shawn and I am pleased to tell you that they are doing MK I Met Cam Pullmans and they should be available in the next 3 - 5 months. They are just needing to finalise the interiors.

Jim

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Chaps

I have just got off the dog & bone with Shawn and I am pleased to tell you that they are doing MK I Met Cam Pullmans and they should be available in the next 3 - 5 months. They are just needing to finalise the interiors.

Jim

Well Jim, you've found your answer before I got chance to reply!!!! But yes he is, I think he announced them at Telford 2018 and I have been bugging him each time I have seen him since as I have plans for a Royal Scotsman set, I've already got Brian at Shawplan on the hook to scale up his 4mm veranda but there is no point until Shawn has done the coaches! I suppose that gives me 3-5 months to finish my five coach land cruise set! I believe the problem has been the window etches.

Edited by D6775
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Today being the first day of decent weather so my mucca Ray & I tackled the boards of the garden part of the railway.....

The railway has been down between 3 or 4 years and the boards have just not passed the test of time. Every time the sun shines and when it does, my garden gets it full on all day and this effects the boards massively by distorting them which makes the railway un-useable but when the weather cools the boards return to some normality, so I have taken the plunge and started dismantling the boards in readiness of laying some new framework / boards. 

Framework first then leave it over a period of time to see how the wood reacts to the elements, so this part of the railway is out of action for the time being. I will add some pictures as the structure gets built but in the meantime it looks like Dr Beeching has arrived at Ayr Road.....:cray_mini:

IMG_5950.JPG.7a31a8883b6d4277a4f7031ab697abd2.JPG

IMG_5951.JPG.026ec056eae56074d36f6ee8fabc1c95.JPG 

JIm

Edited by jcarta
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 09/06/2020 at 21:30, jcarta said:

Today being the first day of decent weather so my mucca Ray & I tackled the boards of the garden part of the railway.....

The railway has been down between 3 or 4 years and the boards have just not passed the test of time. Every time the sun shines and when it does, my garden gets it full on all day and this effects the boards massively by distorting them which makes the railway un-useable but when the weather cools the boards return to some normality, so I have taken the plunge and started dismantling the boards in readiness of laying some new framework / boards. 

Framework first then leave it over a period of time to see how the wood reacts to the elements, so this part of the railway is out of action for the time being. I will add some pictures as the structure gets built but in the meantime it looks like Dr Beeching has arrived at Ayr Road.....:cray_mini:

IMG_5950.JPG.7a31a8883b6d4277a4f7031ab697abd2.JPG

IMG_5951.JPG.026ec056eae56074d36f6ee8fabc1c95.JPG 

JIm

Where's the replacement buses or is it being converted into a busway or a motorway ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spenc said:

Where's the replacement buses or is it being converted into a busway or a motorway ?

Good point..... The railway was shut on time but the first bus service is running late :beee_mini:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well all the new wood arrived yesterday so the railway will start to be rebuilt in the very near future and I'll take pictures as the build progresses..... I thought I would take one last picture of the home signal to Knowmoor before the big build. Road to nowhere but a clear signal......

1395751257_AyrRoadVol02(10).JPG.f9576b285351f0439165a3ea75b044e7.JPG

In the meantime I have received two new kits from Shawn of Easy Build so I thought I start on one of these whilst the good British summer weather has arrived some sort of vengeance. After having to contact Shawn again to get the heads up on how to construct the B4 bogies for my TPO as I couldn't find anything on the internet. So I managed to get both of them done this morning, they don;t take too long once you know how.... I have also put the first colours on the TPO sides and this afternoon I started cutting out some rather small windows to fit in at a later date.

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So as previously stated that the wood had arrived and put under cover to protect it from the elements and boy has it rain here. So waiting for a good day and Saturday was that day so with my trusty colleague Ray we made a start and got some of the braces in.

1587588366_AyrRoadVol02(2).jpg.52595da7e3e002dfe78035e31f0f325e.jpg

By using the old shutterply as a level we were able to fix the cross braces to the scaffold poles & once happy we would then remove the old ply.

57679274_AyrRoadVol02(1).jpg.be5d483587c2ea27adb279053f111cbb.jpg

The braces are 100mm x 38mm treated sawn timber secured to the scaffold poles by M8 x 150mm bolts with penny washers. I will also infill between the braces with 50mm treated sawn timber for extra sturdiness so the braces don't bow but I will have to wait for the moment whilst my timber merchant can deliver it as they originally gave me the wrong sized timber......

1957569443_AyrRoadVol02(4).jpg.893cba8ef882035d04f4a21d0d3793bf.jpg

The single braces will have two bolts holding the braces but once the full lengths have been screwed to the braces then nothing should move....

1756108_AyrRoadVol02(6).jpg.e810feb3d409ceda9370f400d3afde93.jpg

The main struts have now been secured to the braces and nothing is moving ..... solid as a rock..... I will trim the over hangs of the braces and then we will leave the carcass like this for a couple of weeks to see if the elements alters the shape in anyway, then we can rectify prior to putting the tops back on and get ready for felting and then laying the track back down. Hopefully this week we will put a few more hours in to get some more done, anything we do I will update on here..... right off for a long soak now .....

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 8