Pop up adds on mobile - Fix pg 3 is change theme to default

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A  minority will follow the link and that makes it worth their while. The majority of people who are inconvenienced or annoyed aren't on their radar.

If my experience is anything to go by, most clicks following the link are down to the advertiser placing it right next to the ‘close’ button... so a cynical and deliberate forced mistake, that just adds to the frustration.  

It’s not just an RMweb thing, but a shame that it has arrived here too.  It does, on occasions, annoy me enough to cut a session short on here.

Phil.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I must say that this morning it seems to be getting worse, with the adverts spilling OVER entire forum sections. And they persist even if I log in.

Not Happy...

Nookiller Option Engaged. Ohhh! The interpolated ads have gone! So have the conventional ads at the top/bottom that didn't get in the way. Is this experiment with Google Ads worth the aggro?

Edited by Hroth
status update...

• RMweb Gold

To clarify:

• The Google ads experiment that affected the whole site (all browsers, PC and mobile) is over. I can confirm that I have NO google ads appearing on Google Chrome running on Win10 with Adblock off for RMweb
  • The issue of with the drop down ads on mobile devices is still under investigation. This was brought in following a software update and was not intentional from BRM's point of view. Use of an adblocker or a browser with built in adblocking as previously discussed works for now.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This morning, I was just getting a red bar saying google Ads, on the tablet, hit the red cross and it was gone, just like the orange "RMWEB Gold" advert.

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

This morning, I was just getting a red bar saying google Ads, on the tablet, hit the red cross and it was gone, just like the orange "RMWEB Gold" advert.

That is actually a kinda ‘sticky’, linking to information about the google ads testing, rather than being a google ad!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I don't have the intrusive ads that appear on my tablet and mobile on Win10/Firefox/ADP(off for RMweb) and I've never noticed any.

The idea that with the limited screen area on a phone, or even a 10" tablet, huge sloppy ads flung over the site content is a strange one.  My PC will continue to have ABP off for RMweb, my mobile devices will be running with it ON.

Gone a bit quiet from the admins. The drop down thingies cause me to leave the site immediately.  I only stayed on long enough to review this topic and it's infuriating.

I'm off again, I guess I'll have a look another time.

Vernon

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Doncaster said:

Gone a bit quiet from the admins. The drop down thingies cause me to leave the site immediately.  I only stayed on long enough to review this topic and it's infuriating.

I'm off again, I guess I'll have a look another time.

Vernon

Hmm

Screenshot_2019-05-03-22-21-44.png

• RMweb Gold

This is not a complaint - but for information, the ad situation is getting worse.  A few days ago it was one advert, tonight there are 4 large adverts randomly positioned down the page.

It’s still bearable on my iPad, but it pretty much renders the forum unusable on my phone. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I can get rid of the ads on my iPhone by switching the theme from ‘RMWeb 2019 Default’ to ‘Default’ at the bottom of the page 

(tbh I prefer the default look anyway!) 

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, big jim said:

I can get rid of the ads on my iPhone by switching the theme from ‘RMWeb 2019 Default’ to ‘Default’ at the bottom of the page 

That seems to apply to an iPad too - thanks for the heads up :yes: 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Brilliant!

thanks Jim.

that worked.

they were driving me mad

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Brilliant! Thank you - and it solves the other annoying issue I had in that the forum was always slightly wider than my screen, and I was continually having to adjust it. 

How on earth did you find that?

Edited by Zero Gravitas

4 hours ago, birdseyecircus said:

Worked for me too on android.

I think this fix deserves a bit more notice as I was also getting cheeses off with the ads.

Paul

I agree, but I recall some mention from Andy about the alternate themes being temporary early on in the life of this new site. 

See