Railwells 2019

Martync

Are there any details of Railwells 2019 available yet?  There isn't anything on their website or the S4 site so far.  Always a good show, and always on or around my birthday so even better excuse for a visit!!

Martyn

Edited by Martync

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, HSB said:

I tried looking for information on their website a couple of weeks ago and was rather disappointed they hadn't put anything up yet!

Agreed, they've still got all last years's details up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The websites of C&L Finescale, Dart Castings, Eileen's Emporium, Modelu, Roxey Mouldings, and Wizard Models all show August 10th and 11th as the dates they will be attending.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if the designated parking for Railwells is in a suitable field, away from the usual town-centre car park bundles?  And is the Sunday usually much quieter in the exhibition than the Saturday, as is usually the case with exhibitions?

Thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does anyone know if the designated parking for Railwells is in a suitable field, away from the usual town-centre car park bundles?  And is the Sunday usually much quieter in the exhibition than the Saturday, as is usually the case with exhibitions?

Thanks

Brian

Yes, exactly that - the location is shown on the map in

http://railwells.com/railway-show/railwells-show-2019/ .

Directions are usually signposted from the Glastonbury road roundabout - it is a short, but very pleasant walk to the show.

I usually find that Sunday is somewhat quieter than Saturday.

Regards

Martin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The field used for parking is near the bishops palace and is accessed from Silver Street.  Usually a small fee on Saturday and free on Sunday.  Sunday is usually quieter than Saturday.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
beaten by mpr
  • Thanks 1

This map shows where the car park at Silver Street is,the Post Code for Satnavs is BA5 1US . Last year there was a charge of £3.00 for both Saturday and Sunday and when the bloke isn't there you put your money in an honesty box.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=355219&y=145595&z=110&sv=355219,145595&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=687&ax=355219&ay=145595&lm=0

I find that it's better to get there via Larkhill from London. This avoids the traffic jams on the A303 in the Stonehenge area

Regards

I wanted to edit my edit by deleting the map immediately below, but the software doesn't seem to like that. The maps in the post below this one shows the route I take off the A303.

HTH

Wells Show.jpg

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Maps added
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Where is it now, please.

Regards

East Lancashire Railway have bought it. 

Something to do with it not being able to get back to Keighley unless it went mainline as the bridge where road vehicles deliver stock is restricted. It's still going to other railways though. It was at the NYMR recently.

Jason

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Something to do with it not being able to get back to Keighley unless it went mainline as the bridge where road vehicles deliver stock is restricted. It's still going to other railways though. It was at the NYMR recently.

Jason

Although it did prevent City of Wells returning to the KWVR in 2015 as planned, the bridge loading issue has since been resolved;

https://news.kwvr.co.uk/2016/06/02/bridge-restriction-removed/

I'm pretty sure that City of Wells has been back to the KWVR since then for a short visit.

Andy

23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Wasn't there also an issue with road furniture getting in the way and it being expensive to remove/restore?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hope to visit Railwells, possibly over a couple of days (with one day at the exhibition).  Apart from Wells itself, can anyone recommend any towns worth a visit on the journey westwards from the M25 direction please (i.e. A303, M4 maybe)?  I need to keep the OH happy; I'm thinking picturesque market towns, independent shops, easy parking etc. rather than retail parks.....

Any suggestions please - thanks

Brian

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, polybear said:

I hope to visit Railwells, possibly over a couple of days (with one day at the exhibition).  Apart from Wells itself, can anyone recommend any towns worth a visit on the journey westwards from the M25 direction please (i.e. A303, M4 maybe)?  I need to keep the OH happy; I'm thinking picturesque market towns, independent shops, easy parking etc. rather than retail parks.....

Brian

Wells itself is a beautiful city and can easily absorb two days with the Abbey and moat, superb saturday market and all the other attractions - particularly popular at the moment with Poldark fans!

Just a few miles up the road is Frome, another very attractive market town.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, polybear said:

Brian

And, if you like ruins, myths, legends and faeries, Glastonbury is less than 10 miles.

John

• Thanks 1