Railwells 2019

Martync

• RMweb Gold

Had a good few hours this afternoon at the show.

The balance between layouts / traders / demo stands did seem to be a little imbalanced. The layouts on the whole were very good, Farrington / Black Lion for example very good.

• RMweb Gold

Its a bit of a hike from Bishopstoke Junction in the windy conditions but well worth it.  I really enjoyed my visit today; I had never seen Totness before and was enchanted by it and when I was watching there was a steady stream of trains running very smoothly. I was fascinated by Roger Orpwood's Sefton Park in 3/4mm Finescale. It is an engineering masterpiece, the loco even has spoked wheels.  Building the track to the standard required for it to function is a total universe away from my skill level and the concept of having points in the next development of the layout is still beyond my comprehension. Great to see AlanButler's new productions on his ModelU stand and looking forward to his barley twist lamps when they come out. I gather Wizard Models will not be attending future exhibitions as he is going to concentrate his efforts on working at home to satisfy the orders that he gets directly. I have had excellent service from Wizard in the past so I hope this change is successful for him.

Wells is such a beautiful place, the coffee is excellent in the Cathedral cafe and I enjoyed an excellent lunch with an old colleague in the Greek Taverna down the road. So all was good.

My thanks and congratulations to Chris Challis and his team who organised this rather special event.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had a terrific day at Railwells, thanks very much to everyone.

I certainly didn't feel the the balance of exhibits was wrong at all, and everything I watched had plenty of activity going on. 

Standouts for me were Black Lion Crossing, Faringdon and Totnes, none of which I had seen before.  But the layout I kept going back to was Tony Gee's "Church Warsop".  Deceptively simple, but very effective visually and with a busy and varied operational scope.  In addition, Great Central/Great Northern pre-grouping isn't something you see modelled a great deal.  I hope I can get to see more of it.

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from Railwells 2019. Very enjoyable and a nice mix of stands covering so many aspects of our hobby. I thought the demonstrations and tips stands, each with a resident expert, was particularly helpful. Admired the (think it was 5" gauge but didn't check!!) King class chassis on display in the reception area, what beautiful work.

Filled my stock of bits and pieces from the trade stands and thanks Brian of Branchlines for the advice on motor and gearbox for my next original MN build.

Enjoyed my chat with SS of the South Western Circle - well worth joining folks if you model such things!

My thanks go to all that must have worked so hard for our pleasure.

Very nice of Mrs B to accompany me too although she chose to tour the Cathedral and grounds.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Railwells 2019

One thing that does deserve Wow!

3/4mm scale with spoked wheels. Ran beautifully and lovely chap to talk to. 

Phone can’t do close ups it’s too small!

Railwells 2019

Cable drive . . .

Railwells 2019

This was gorgeous too!

Railwells 2019

great show, lovely location :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

I'd agree with others that there were perhaps fewer layouts versus traders this year but as always the high quality of the exhibits more than makes up for this. As most of the traders were offering something different (and not just stand after stand of RTR models) I'm sure for many people this was an in-frequent opportunity to catch up with those traders! Same with the 'demonstrators'  - there were quite a few of them, but for those at that stage in their modelling who want to pick up a few tips from the experts, an invaluable opportunity.

Standouts for me were Totness, Faringdon and Llangerisech.

Great show as always, thanks to the organisers and exhibitors.

• Agree 3

A video from my visit to the show yesterday.

Some superb layouts on display! Plus managed to pick up a few hard to find items ;)

10th - 11th August saw the Annual RailWells Model Railway Exhibition, held in Wells Town Hall, Wells, Somerset.
This years show featured 14 stunning layouts in various scales, plus a wide selection of Demos and Societies. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:18, PenrithBeacon said:

Not at all sure why I've got the quote above, suffice it to say that I got back about an hour ago, feeling weary. It was a brilliant exhibition, I enjoyed it very much, but for the future I think I'll have to book a B&B, there and back again in a day is getting to be too much.

Regards

• Friendly/supportive 1

Had a very good afternoon at Railwells on Saturday. Had persuaded the memsahb to come with me and we were staying overnight.  As she had enjoyed pottering about Wells on Saturday we thought we'd pop back on Sunday. So slightly miffed that the entry was for one day not both - except for S4 Soc members.  I note that Scaleforum entry is for both days...…….

Never mind, as I got to see Faringdon which was a dream come true.  The best layout there by a country mile.....

But all the rest were great as well.....!!!

Martyn

Another enjoyable show I thought.

If the layout/trader balance had not previously been mentioned I am not sure I would have noticed as I spent well over 3 hours there

mostly looking at layouts, and talking to (ie distracting) the operators. There was plenty to enjoy, and I particularly liked the little and large combination next to each other of Sheepcroft and Black Lion Crossing,

cheers

cheers  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just home and unloaded after a cracking good weekend.

I didn't jinx the layout by my earlier post. It behaved very nicely indeed.

Many thanks to Chris and the Wells group for having us along. It is always a great pleasure to be part of heir show.

Also a huge thanks to all those who spent time watching the layout and who said nice things about it. It is hard work preparing, moving and operating a layout, even a small one like Church Warsop. When it all goes well and people are appreciative, I come home feeling that all the hard work has been worthwhile.

Finally thanks go to Laurie for doing all the driving and for doing such a good job operating a layout he had never seen set up before. 

Put all those ingredients together and it is a great reminder of why I build layouts for exhibitions.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I dropped in for a couple of hours on Saturday, as I always do on my way home from Sidmouth Folk Festival.  As usual, it was well worth the effort and spared me the grief often encountered on the M5 and M4.  It is always good to see Faringdon, now so much improved with the new scenic bit, and the crowds threatening to engulf Black Lion Crossing were hardly unexpected.  All the layouts were worth more than the cursory glance which had to suffice.  Amazingly I reached Wells before the best breakfast outlets were open but 'Spoons was a good substitute.  I avoided Bath on the journey home but this may not have been the best idea.  More work with the atlas is needed.

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed my visit yesterday. Some really good layouts and great selection of artisan producers with useful bits and pieces.

Agree with an earlier post that layout operation was not great. Partly a function of the overcrowding in such a venue. Difficult to operate a complicated layout like Black Lion Crossing from the front when the viewers are right on top of you.

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was a fab show, as usual, with top class layouts, exhibitors and demonstrators. More than half the time there (virtually the whole day) was spent chatting, including at the 'DRAG' table in the pub next door.

I didn't think the balance between layouts and traders was a problem and the layouts themselves were top class, as you usually expect from Chris Challis and his team, who never fail to delight us with an interesting line-up.

Getting caught in a cloud burst and thunderstorm between Cullompton and Exeter on the M5 on the way home was a different experience, there had been an accident on the north-bound carriageway on the approaches to Cullompton and traffic was tailed back almost to Exeter, stationary but then our carriageway started slowing down and came to a stand, but this was purely because of the sheer amount of rain, very poor visibility and lots of surface water. Something I'd never seen before, about a dozen cars at one point had pulled over onto the hard shoulder, purely (I suspect) because they didn't want to continue driving in such conditions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Although Wellow was far from complete, and only partly working, the interest it generated blew me away - it was non stop talking for the weekend.

I need to think about some sort of time-line to set the layout in history, so many things are in the future that it is difficult to get a sense of place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The rain was rather exciting, long time since I’ve used fast wipe setting, and still some people didn’t have lights on! Some poor lads in a 205 had obviously gone for the big watersplash just outside Torr Works and drowned it. We passed while they contemplated getting feet or feet and shoes very wet! 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Although Wellow was far from complete, and only partly working, the interest it generated blew me away - it was non stop talking for the weekend.

I need to think about some sort of time-line to set the layout in history, so many things are in the future that it is difficult to get a sense of place.

You deserve that sort of interest for daring to try something so different. I look forward to seeing how the project progresses.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1