Railwells 2019

Martync

• RMweb Gold

And, although I haven't been for years, a discount shopping centre in Street which had something to do with Clarks shoes if I remember correctly. Not quite the same as it was in my youth when the whole family would make a trip to the High Street to buy Clarks seconds and after diving into the various shoe shops  would depart with at least one pair for each member of the family. I know, we was lucky, we 'ad shoes.

Godfrey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You're also only about 24 miles from Bath, to the north of Wells, but Jerry is right, there's more than enough to keep your attention in Wells for two days.

Wells is such a splendid place that the Railwells weekend is now a fixture for my wife and I, including our usual stay in the wonderful Swan hotel. I hope to pop

into the show on both days, which I find a great way to see everything, get all the bits I want, and also catch up with chums, yet not get burned out by staying

too long in one go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another bonus is  the Saturday market right outside the Town  Hall. No shortage of places to get a nice lunch. I usually also try to visit the remainder bookshop Superbook in the High Street , which usually has a few decent railway books. Sadly I'm unable to visit Railwells this year but it's normally a fixture in my diary. I also have a sentimental attachment to Wells Town Hall as that was where I got married

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/08/2019 at 21:08, polybear said:

I hope to visit Railwells, possibly over a couple of days (with one day at the exhibition).  Apart from Wells itself, can anyone recommend any towns worth a visit on the journey westwards from the M25 direction please (i.e. A303, M4 maybe)?  I need to keep the OH happy; I'm thinking picturesque market towns, independent shops, easy parking etc. rather than retail parks.....

Any suggestions please - thanks

Brian

I'm travelling up from Dorset with OH on Saturday to visit Railwells,

I can recommend Frome as a  picturesque market town full of some very interesting independent shops to interest the OH , as long as you are fairly mobile as there are a couple of streets on a gradient

Glastonbury is very much themed towards witches, warlocks and crystals, ok if you like that sort of thing but not very much variety, it gets a bit boring and not as picturesque as Frome.

Bath is too big if you want a picturesque market town, its a city with a large university, parking is not good so you might have to do park and ride, but more should be open on Sunday than other local towns.

Wells itself has a lot going for it, very picturesque including the cathedral and surrounding area of historical interest as well as lots of independent shops and the Saturday Market

For what it is worth my OH likes Frome and Wells, she is into small independent shops as well, she will be spending her  time in Wells on Saturday.

Steve    

• Thanks 1

The model shop in Frome is at the top of Catherine Hill so you will have got some exercise getting there. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.

Stourhead, a National Trust house, is just south of Frome and well worth a visit.

//Simon

• RMweb Premium

Wells is a great place for a day out, exhibition or not.

I'll be there on Saturday, and I'll make an early start to try and beat the traffic.  If I get there early, I'll be in the coffee bar opposite!

On 05/08/2019 at 21:08, polybear said:

I hope to visit Railwells, possibly over a couple of days (with one day at the exhibition).  Apart from Wells itself, can anyone recommend any towns worth a visit on the journey westwards from the M25 direction please (i.e. A303, M4 maybe)?  I need to keep the OH happy; I'm thinking picturesque market towns, independent shops, easy parking etc. rather than retail parks.....

Any suggestions please - thanks

Brian

Marlborough, Wiltshire.

Gordon A

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

There's also Wookey Hole and Cheddar to the west of Wells.

Yep I second that wookey hole can absorb a day, bit expensive you think at first but when you get a full day out of it it's not so bad recommend the circus school performance that's inc in the price, cheddar is not just cheese! But can absorb a afternoon, wells will keep anyone occupied never mind a train show at the same time,I am confident  once your other half has been around Wells you will have no trouble comeing back next year

Edited by Graham456

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:18, PenrithBeacon said:

3 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Sheepcroft's all packed up and ready to be loaded tomorrow morning for what will undoubtedly be an interesting (!) drive from east Kent tomorrow.

Looking forward to this.

Stu

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:18, PenrithBeacon said:

Wells Show 2.jpg

This is the route I use, it might help

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to report that Church Warsop is all ready for the long journey South and West.

It has been in store for quite a while, having been exhibited just once in the last decade or thereabouts. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it had not only survived scenically but was also in perfect working order! Everything ran without even cleaning the track.

I get lucky sometimes.

It will be the first time we have run the layout as a pure pre-grouping GCR period one. All locos and stock have been either replaced or backdated to round about 1910, give or take a year or two.

I am really looking forward to a return visit to Wells. It is always a lovely show in a superb little city and there are always plenty of good folk to chat with.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am pleased to report that Church Warsop is all ready for the long journey South and West.

It has been in store for quite a while, having been exhibited just once in the last decade or thereabouts. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it had not only survived scenically but was also in perfect working order! Everything ran without even cleaning the track.

I get lucky sometimes.

It will be the first time we have run the layout as a pure pre-grouping GCR period one. All locos and stock have been either replaced or backdated to round about 1910, give or take a year or two.

I am really looking forward to a return visit to Wells. It is always a lovely show in a superb little city and there are always plenty of good folk to chat with.

A statement like that is likely to attract loads of gremlins over the weekend.  lol.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A statement like that is likely to attract loads of gremlins over the weekend.  lol.

It is a double bluff. If the layout runs like a pig I can always point people to the post on RMWeb that says it ran like a dream today, so it must be the journey/the temperature, humidity or suchlike causing the problems. A sort of ready made excuse!

I have been doing his long enough to know that bouncing a 17 year old layout around in a car will cause wires to fall off and soldered joints to break and the locos that have run sweetly up and down after being in a box for most of the last two decades will start to sulk when people are watching.

Anyway, what fun is an exhibition without a few gremlins?

Fingers and everything else are well crossed!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from Railwells today. Was it just me, or were there fewer layouts and mostly they were a bit on the small side, and more space taken up by the traders, society stands and demonstrators? I felt it was a 30/70 split layouts/others, whereas normally I'd expect 50/50 or 60/40.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Agree 1