Bob Hordern

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil

Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed Kirtley and Wigan.

We had a few issues (mostly down to the age of the operators - including me :blush:). In general though it seemed to go OK.

Could I post the third of your photos on the Gauge O Guild forum - suitably attributed to you of course. I didn't get chance to take any and you've captured the 'staithes' really well.

I guess Youtube will eventually give us some (often embarrasing) video........

Best wishes, Bob

Edited by Bob Hordern

5 hours ago, Bob Hordern said:

Hi Neil

Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed Kirtley and Wigan.

We had a few issues (mostly down to the age of the operators - including me :blush:). In general though it seemed to go OK.

Could I post the third of your photos on the Gauge O Guild forum - suitably attributed to you of course. I didn't get chance to take any and you've captured the 'staithes' really well.

I guess Youtube will eventually give us some (often embarrasing) video........

Best wishes, Bob

Hello Bob

I would be more than happy with you doing that. your layout gave me many bits of inspiration and the 'staithes'  were a lovely part of this. I just hope I can get somewhere near this.

kind regards

• 3 weeks later...

A few more  shots  as I tidy up the layout ready for some more professional photography this weekend.

• the pick-up goods leaves Kirtley Bridge loop
  • a quarry train exits the cutting fom Hebden Beck quarry
  • the Bradford autotrain prepares to leave from the bay platform

DSC_0422.JPG.4e6914d12f6005d4fa4ed5543df16843.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG.198878d2ba3120c1b52f91b10ed1f65b.JPG

DSC_0555.JPG

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another shot of my layout this time showing a stone train leaving Hebden Beck Quarry over the trestle bridge, hauled by Hudswell Clarke No 6. The photo is by Andy York.

John Delaney owns this quarry and others at Grassington, Settle, Langcliffe, Gargrave and Horton in Ribblesdale.

A Johnson 1F No 1820 simmers in the shed road soon to take a goods train down Wharfedale to Otley (over the iron bridge).

The  Fowler diesel LMS 2 waits in the mill siding for empty wagons to arrive from Bradford.

Feature_5comp.jpg.68b504d0c6fdf6650d299ca82d20e453.jpg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

Here's the the quarry stores train about to depart from the quarry.

This modified (Ixion) Fowler diesel loco, stone wagon and gunpowder van, etc are heading through Kirtley bridge then up to the new reservoir site at Dalehead.

This is one of  a number of photos taken recently by Derek Shore for Railway Modeller - to appear sometime next year.

The weathered stock, overgrown trackwork, scrap material, (Corgi) shovel  and abandoned quarry face all enhance the idea of a working industrial location.

Kirtley_Bridge_photo_15_Derek_Shore.jpg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Working on a few things to tidy up between exhibitions.

Here are a few shots of the layout from the Peterborough visit prior to Christmas.

1 View from the traverser end (Wharfedale) shows it receiving and dispatching trains to Kirtley Bridge

2  This is one of the  four new stock trays that now travel in two IKEA boxes (much safer/quicker to load/unload than all those single boxes)

2 The Hebden Beck (quarry) end of the layout (this hides the fiddle yard and traverser) showing the workmen's coach siding and Ixion loco.

3 Colleagues studying events behind Hebden Mill (actually the moment my heavily weighted LMS 2P broke a  point tiebar but soon soldered up again

4 The busy yard at Kirtley Bridge with its coal, livestock and milk facilities.

Hoping maybe to see one or two of you at Kendal Exhibition January 25th,26th ?

IMG_4552.JPG.1b865bba1e05aee7762f900c81149c05.JPGIMG_4524.JPG.f3a0d3b9b3623ee2cca3fe4ea29818d7.JPGIMG_4534.JPG.666924ef309ccbdc50ab08ee210fa740.JPGIMG_4546.JPG.275d401b9f5d2f6be03067febc1d0477.JPGIMG_4547.JPG.ed7dc2dc9bb88b1f856c2721bb199758.JPG

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 7

Plan.jpg.ac34218699b176a73c4d47b4d60ab2ec.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments guys................

Derbys - Here's the BRM July 2017 track plan. There have been a few changes since then but nothing too major.

The layout is 24ft x 3ft (that's 6x4ft boards) with the second fiddleyard making it 28ft overall at exhibition. 

If space is an issue you could just about get it down 21ft by pruning out the threeway exit point and some bits of plain track elsewhere,. Then run it as a branch terminus. That's what I do at home as the fiddleyard can only be attached when the weather is OK  (ie beyond the open garage doors)

Cheers, Bob

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bob Hordern said:

Thanks for your kind comments guys................

Ben - Here's the BRM July 2017 track plan. There have been a few changes since then but nothing too major.

The layout is 24ft x 3ft (that's 6x4ft boards) with the second fiddleyard making it 28ft overall at exhibition. 

If space is an issue you could just about get it down 21ft by pruning out the threeway exit point and some bits of plain track elsewhere,. Then run it as a branch terminus. That's what I do at home as the fiddleyard can only be attached when the weather is OK  (ie beyond the open garage doors)

Cheers, Bob

Plan.jpg

Very inspirational Bob. I aim to get something into the garage over time and this is layout that has plenty going on and yet would fit nicely into the footprint of my garage.
Out of curiosity, how many carriages will the platform hold?

DSC_0420.JPG.2f56c9d9be254f914b6d9c1505e0b452.JPGDSC_0418.JPG.198396c5fbde6bdbeb8c6e0acfbd7c51.JPGI' d say five carriages are possible if the train is being broken up, but four if you want to run round and return. The loop is quite generous.

Usually in my timetable it's just two or three. The actual controlling factor is the length of track in the two fiddle-yards.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I did spot that and thought it a nice touch! My eldest asked me about it as she had spotted it. I had to tell her about the "olden days" as she calls them and that toilets were outside for many people back then!
Sorry Bob, if I had been on my own I would have done but the comment between the females of my family would have been "He's talking trains again. We'll be hours!"
Certainly next time I will though.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

434142835_WestGazette.jpg.f4bf47588334b8835812610c9e6d055a.jpgHere's my last photo for a while

It shows Kirtley Bridge at the Kendal Show.

I am busy with other things now but hope to begin refurbishing an old Club layout soon (bought to keep it out of the skip). Not sure I can do it justice as it was an award winner in its day. But the poor thing is now over 30 years old.

Watch out for new topic "Lofthouse-in-Nidderdale".......

Bob 

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 3