What's out there ?

• RMweb Premium

This forum topic is called trams and tramway modelling.  that's fine, but most of the active threads are about modern tramways or physical remains of past tramways or their infrastructure.  

Thats not a complaint, just an observation, those threads meet the brief, I just wonder who's out their modelling what...   I can see some London activity but not much else.

the national model tram exhibition has died a death, are there layouts out there looking for a stage?

what have you got, what are you up to?

personally I am working on an unusually tram related project which I will share shortly.

come on, showcase your project here........

andy

Hi Andy

I'm looking forward to seeing your latest project, I have heard a bit about it from a certain DJH!

There is a model tram exhibition in Blackpool on 22nd and 23rd June at the old tram depot and Crich have a model show 17/18th August.

My garden railway seems to be going back to steam tram action at present but as usual from me that could change at anytime.

Also my SRC layout module may become based on Wantage Tramway!

Richard H

I hope Andy you are going to showcase your layout at the many shows around the country that feature tramways.   Richard mentions Blackpool and Crich but there will be tram layouts and models at Lutherworth and Bredgar this weekend, Bushey and Derby next weekend with Weston-super-Mare and Nottingham the following weekend.   Alas sustainability was a major factor with the cessation of the annual Festivals but also the rise in local shows accepting tramways around the country to give a much greater coverage and introduce more people to tram modelling.   So far in June there are four shows including Blackpool, in July just one, August has three including Crich, two for September,four for October, two for November and one for December.   Now that it what is booked at this moment.   I know my local MRC has two tram layouts which lack attention and there are possibly other examples elsewhere.   Who knows even I might return to the 'stage' this year!

The Festival was a wonderful event for a get-together of the initiated and I for one was very sorry that the Croydon one was my last at which I exhibited.   Alas despite its tremendous transport links, few of the general public attended.   The future to attract is in regional and local shows so please will those reading this with tram models/layouts of any scale, contact their local model railway/transport club/society and ask for a table at their next show - show organisers are wanting layouts no matter how small.   This is one of many ways of getting the message out whether the interest is 'ancient and modern'.   All the best, Colin. 

Let me add the National Model Tram Collection to what is on and where.   Set up in Aston tram depot, Birmingham, it now resides in the shop area of the Heaton Park tramway, Manchester.   I attach a view of its original appearance there before all the preserved models and now historical modelling parts were in place in the 8 display cabinets.   Viewing the Collection is open to the public during the tramway's normal opening times and days.   The Collection has actually growth beyond the capacity seen in the view so any unwanted display cabinets will be gratefully received there.   If you have the opportunity please go and have a look.   Looking leads to Inspiration which leads to Action!   Colin.

National Model Tram Collection.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, coline33 said:

Let me add the National Model Tram Collection to what is on and where.   Set up in Aston tram depot, Birmingham, it now resides in the shop area of the Heaton Park tramway, Manchester.   I attach a view of its original appearance there before all the preserved models and now historical modelling parts were in place in the 8 display cabinets.   Viewing the Collection is open to the public during the tramway's normal opening times and days.   The Collection has actually growth beyond the capacity seen in the view so any unwanted display cabinets will be gratefully received there.   If you have the opportunity please go and have a look.   Looking leads to Inspiration which leads to Action!   Colin.

National Model Tram Collection.JPG

That is all very interesting, some I had picked up and other information is new.

i will have to visit the heaton  park display

i am not adverse to either showing or demonstrating at exhibitions, other than a club layout stafford railway circle, tram layout about 35 years ago my interest has been model railways you can catch up with Black Country Blues and Tackeroo on Rmweb.

I have exhibition management experience and do understand the challenges.

I will look out some of those events.  PRobablyn the o gauge guide next in Telford, being that I'm modelling in Seven mm ,  not o gauge

Andy

• Like 1

Andy, very pleased to read that you are modelling in 7mm. scale as opposed to O-gauge.   You share the same gauge view in 7mm. that I have in 4mm. whereby I concentrate my overhead current collection cars from the four-foot gauge systems and have to turn a blind eye on that 0.5mm.!   Whilst some 7mm. tram pundits tell me that that market is dead it is interesting that KW Trams has just commenced kit production for the larger scale.   Way back in the early 1960s when I was encouraged by certain members of T&LRS to introduce small scale modelling to its ranks, I had to draw the line between what I considered to be model engineering precision of the cars and the space most people would have to build a comprehensive tram service layout.   To me 7mm. scale is the lower limit to easily fully detail model trams but where space limits the overall presentation of a tram system.   I lived in Germany in 1958/59 with the modernisation of their tramways and those of the Dutch.   I brought back some Hamo H0 cars and turned the mech of one into a Dearne car and built a complete 4mm. scale tram service layout on the dining room table.   Shortly after it was exhibited at a one day exhibition at Streatham Common, London.   I spent the whole day listening to locals complain about the 109 bus service failing to live up or as promised by LTE to be better than the 16/18 tram.   That was it, promote tramways by presenting one or more tram services in minature with a flow of cars.   Super detailing was put to one side, it was numbers of cars running.   Frank Vescoe came to my aid with his BEC-Kits aided by Adrian Swain (ABS).   Upon formation of the Society's Sub-Seven Section, the O-gauge Tram Group was formed as a separate entity to achieve the best model engineering that is 7mm. scale at its lowest end.   I am not decrying those who perfect superb detail in 4mm. scale or under but I was looking for low cost kits for limited layout space to encourage modelling trams and promoting the new generation of them in Britain.

Failure to be able to go 18.83mm. from the start of BEC-Kits was down to the fact that Frank had already a good range of 4mm. loco kits on 16.5mm. and commercially was the only direction as no RTR P4 type track was then available.   Frank also introduced his TT gauge loco kits.   But all that is history and we have had the rise of finescale gauges in 2, 3, 4 and 7mm.scales mainly for standard and narrow gauge railways but not so much for tramways.   But for the latter it could now be on the turn if there is a worthwhile market for more modelling aids.   

As you say 'What's out there?' and can we increase it - the answer is yes in all scales.   NTM Crich has a programme this year of demonstrating large scale tram models - well done, please if you can get there and support their initiative.   Colin.        

• Thanks 1

For those wanting prototypical 4mm. scale paved 14mm. gauge track sections for 3'6" gauge then overnight 'Recreation21' added these to its Shapeways shop.   There is a 168mm. straight, 204mm. raidus curve, 250mm. radius curve, left and right hand points for crossovers and passing loops.   Just add the code 100 rail.   Shortly I hope a range of four wheel mechanisms to suit will be announced.   Ideal for West Midland layouts and those with Tennett's Tividale and Keil Kraft Birmingham kits to motorise for the correct gauge.   Other manufacturers make the generic types which plied on many of the British 3'6" systems.   Colin.   

• Like 1

It should be noted that I can do virtually any gauge within reason, even mixed gauge as long as rails are not too close. I use code 100 rail(only partly visible), for anything up to O scale, and code 200 for bigger gauges.Complete set ups  eg junctions can also be designed, but will be done in sections, partly to make it easier to fit rail.

• Like 2