Underpass, LA, 1976

Robatron86

I have finally moved past the mental block I've had with the actual overpass construction and I can now move at a good pace.

I was going to use some thick packaging cardboard for the base, but it would inevitably get easily damaged, become warped, would need excessive bracing etc.

I decided to use my favourite layout building medium, MDF. I've attached pine dowel supports that fit inside the cardboard tubes I've used for the concrete support pylons. On the top side, which will be hidden, the overpass is attached to the two side backscenes with angled L brackets.

Next on the list is the intermediate support beams and the sides of the highway. 

PXL_20210206_170708054.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210206_170721034.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210206_170730077.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210206_170740107.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The sides of the highway have been cut from foam board and attached.

I've made a more permanent attachment solution out of four brackets I found. 

The layout will eventually have a top made from MDF to hide the top of the highway. The sides and edges of the highway are to be covered in thick paper to hide the transition from the wood to the foam board and then painted.

PXL_20210213_192420796.NIGHT.jpg

IMG_20210213_192526.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/03/2021 at 13:56, wollastonblue said:

Can I just ask what you used for the ground covering? I'm looking for a similar kind of thing for my N scale layout but with some tufts of overgrown grass thrown in.

Cheers

Which part of the ground cover are you referring to? The concrete sections were done with Woodland Scenics modelling sheets, 1/16th thick I think. 

The rest was done with fine modelling sand for use with military and wargaming. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't leave the overpass alone! 

I thought the support beams looked a little lacking, so I added two more beams, one on either side of the original 4 beams, and added smaller supports at intervals. 

PXL_20210404_064326495.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I love that you always seem to bring a different idea to the table, or at least execute it in a way I've not seen before. Tilley Yard was the snowy winter scene and now we have freight operations in the shadow of a highway. The nod to GTA made me smile too 

19 hours ago, NickBrad said:

I love that you always seem to bring a different idea to the table, or at least execute it in a way I've not seen before. Tilley Yard was the snowy winter scene and now we have freight operations in the shadow of a highway. The nod to GTA made me smile too 

Thanks Nick. I hope I haven't inspired you to build another American layout ;)

I like to just try the numerous different ideas I have in my head. You won't find out if it'll work unless you just give it a go. 

• Like 3

The final part of the layout puzzle has begun it's testing phase: lighting.

These are photos of the led lighting strips laid flat across the top. There are sitting on strips of greaseproof paper acting as diffusers. The angle of them may be changed to increase the shadows under the overpass.

PXL_20210425_191301316.jpg

PXL_20210425_191311722.jpg

PXL_20210425_191409812.MP.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Following the recent purchase of a printer for work, I've been using it for non work purposes...

Period correct signage on the liquor store, pavement and some parking lot lines. The old newspapers by the dumpster are period Los Angeles front pages. All of these courtesy of Google images and a resizing app on my phone.

Looks like he couldn't wait to get home to drink his Bud!

PXL_20210501_214017289.jpg

PXL_20210501_214034565.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 7

I had the layout out yesterday, properly set up with everything wired up (the layout doesn't have a permanent home, it lives on its end in the dining room when not in use) and it was an absolute delight to have everything work straight away. No sticking point motors, no dead spots, locomotives running well, lighting looking good. 

Obviously I had to take pictures, but this one is the best. 

IMG_20210503_212646.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 year later...

Long time no post! I've been away from here for a while, but Underpass has been finished, completed its first exhibition at the GlobalRail show put on by the German Railway Society, was featured in the September edition of Continental Modeller and is due at the Seaboard Southern Exhibition on the the 17th of this month and at the Uckfield Exhibition in October. Busy, busy busy!

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2023 at 20:17, Robatron86 said:

Hello all,

Underpass is due at the Lymington Model Railway Exhibition this weekend!

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2023/25018-LymingtonCommunityAssociation_Exhibition

Well I did try and turn up today but parking was predictably not possible on a sunny bank holiday Saturday in Lymington, so I'll have another go tomorrow!

• 4 months later...