Testors Dullcote + Tamiya Acrylics. Beware!

Just in case it prevents anyone else being dismayed, it's not a good idea to brush Testors Dullcoat onto a figure painted with Tamiya Acrylics.  Unless of course you want the colours to blend into one another ...   

• Moderators

How long did you leave the acrylics to dry? I've sprayed Dullcote on with no issues over Tamiya acrylics on a lot of things but never brushed it on. 

• Agree 4

I've had Railmatch acrylic that had been applied over a week before object to being sprayed with Testors Dullcoat.  Not badly, admittedly, and because it was a wagon I was able to hide the results with a bit of weathering, but the experience has made me wary of the stuff.

Edited by mike morley

• RMweb Gold

If you brush Dullcote on to anything you MUST be sure that the underlying paint has dried hard. You should also ensure that you thin the Dullcote before application and apply more than one coat if necessary. Forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted or teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but the underlying paint (acrylic or enamel) must be thoroughly mixed before application. If the carrier to pigment ratio is not right then you cannot guarantee the  integrity of the finish.

Similar caution needs to be exercised when using Dullcote from an aerosol as well - just thin coats. A bit more difficult with an aerosol because you have very little control over volume and direction.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

If you brush Dullcote on to anything you ... should also ensure that you thin the Dullcote before application ...

Hmmm.  What a pity the makers don't say that on the bottle.   

The destructions on the bottle say "Apply generous coats with minimum brushing", yet one not-all-that-generous coat was enough to make a mess of the figure I'd finished painting 48 hours previously.  It also says to use only Testors 1159 Lacquer Thinner/Brush Cleaner to thin for brushing.  Maybe what they mean is what you said i.e. if you're going to brush this stuff on, thin it first with 1159 thinner.

Whatever, I've gone right off the stuff so a full bottle of it's now in the bin ...

Very interesting because I have just had a similar problem and another after years of using Dullcote on Tamiya and was wondering if Testors may have changed their formula.  In my case I had airbrushed a Tamiya weathering wash onto a tender, I had let it sit for about 30 hours and then I sprayed the Dullcote on.  After about 4 hours I went back and found the wash had  run down the sides covering the new decal I had put on to the point of almost obliterating it.  At the same time I had done some weathering using powders and dry brushing and as per past practice I sprayed the entire thing with Ducllcote to seal it.  When the Dullcote dried it left a blotchy spotted surface.  I believe in both cases I really shook the can because I have had problems with blotches before and I have suspected it may have been caused by insufficient mixing. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Campaman said:

... I just use Wilkinsons own brand matt varnish either applied with a brus or thinned with water and put through the airbrush.

If you'd be kind enough to let us know exactly which Wilko product this is, I'll be sure to put in a good word on your behalf next time I see Betty Windsor.

On 27/04/2019 at 21:51, Theakerr said:

was wondering if Testors may have changed their formula.  

I have two bottles of Dullcote. OneI purchased in the US and another purchased a few weeks later in the UK. They have different formulas.

• Informative/Useful 2

Most interesting JZ.  Since I live in the Great White North I would assume mine is a US variety.  I have used Dullcote for years and apart from the odd time when I didn't shake it well enough I have been very happy with it, but now I am not sure what to do.  At some point over the summer I will probably run some tests but for now all my Air Brushing stuff is cleaned up and put away.