Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Toboldlygo's Model Works (as of 31/07/2020)

• RMweb Gold

More Tempest V work..

So once I'd finished with cockpit tub, I though I'd better check the instructions to see if there were any other parts to add to the interior. Sure enough top of page 8!

tempest_24.jpg.1cfb950cb4c62893766a803ded1f10f7.jpg

I thought it might be wise to add these prior to buttoning up the fuselage, otherwise there'd be an awful lot of swearing!

tempest_25.jpg.06f43bafc2f5220e5b4081db660f8457.jpg

After painting them, I used the remaining paint to weather the cockpit tub, before I stuck it into starboard side of the fuselage.

tempest_26.jpg.8700d3c05ef99a5f2a917787c2e8a0f7.jpg

tempest_27.jpg.dcbfd86c3c91b68eb322249929da7ffd.jpg

tempest_28.jpg.f06b82123c5668cd7f813f78fbb84845.jpg

Then it was time to glue the halves of the fuselage together and to be honest this is the first fuselage for a longtime - I haven't had to clamp together while drying, the fit is so good.

tempest_29.jpg.4a40364027951d2a3f024124f33f8de6.jpg

That should of been it, but I'd watched a review/build and there was some concern about the fit of the wing parts...

tempest_30.jpg.44bb67c5fc5bc04b212b61fc1bc54350.jpg

They need minor fettling here they are dry fitted together and to the fuselage, so it wasn't that bad - the reviewer is a Tempest V fanboy, he ripped into the minor issues of the kit and said he'd by half a dozen or so (sounds very familiar doesn't it?).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And just to show why I put the Tiffy aside for now - here's the issue..

typhoon48_11.jpg.ea72e90e57223fc905c32b78e2a96511.jpg

The wing root is coming up short (by a mm or so), I didn't need the hassle of plaster-card and filler on a supposed 'simple' build.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Sprue spreader bar under the cockpit?

No there's an issue with the moulding - a short shot possibly.

Most of the photo-etch is closer to 1/32nd scale than 1/48th - I spotted it, but 'other's didn't listen'

Hence why I didn't use it on my Tiffy..

.. trust a Tinsmith ;) 

With regards the wing root, it's fixable with some styrene strip - but it's absolutely appalling the Eduard marketed a 20 year old Hasegawa kit as Limited Edition in 2019... :angry:

• Friendly/supportive 1

I absolutely love Eduard kits, about 1/3rd of my stash is theirs. Dream to go together, so much plastic,etch and quality decals. I have loads of Profipacks and a good few Limited Editions. I do wonder though if they need to put a time limit on other peoples moulds. At 20 years old and many releases by Hasegawa plus Italeri, no amount of resin and etch can compensate for a worn mould.

They still remain my go to for an enjoyable build.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

I absolutely love Eduard kits, about 1/3rd of my stash is theirs. Dream to go together, so much plastic,etch and quality decals. I have loads of Profipacks and a good few Limited Editions. I do wonder though if they need to put a time limit on other peoples moulds. At 20 years old and many releases by Hasegawa plus Italeri, no amount of resin and etch can compensate for a worn mould.

They still remain my go to for an enjoyable build.

Depends on the kit, the Tempest yes, the Typhoon NO - spend the extra and buy the Airfix 1/24th scale one instead...

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Rob still thinks it's the Cold War, Comrade :jester:

As President Reagan suggested when discussing the perennial problem of insufficient space for the layout, "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall".

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As President Reagan suggested when discussing the perennial problem of insufficient space for the layout, "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall".

I don't think Comrade Rob's wife will be happy about the quarter of an acre extension to ANTB... I'll leave to you to deliver the good news comrade :jester::jester:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Where did you get the “Vale of Neath” lettering from?

Tim T

Modelling South Wales branches in EM

They came on a Powsides set of transfers (W142), my client supplied them for his 2 wagons. I've had a look myself on their website for them. but they've altered the sheet.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

More coaches...

Southern (ex LSWR) Non- Corridors.

2638_lh.jpg.1095d10f725b4a6b13eee24054830392.jpg

6403_rh.jpg.a9d2713c2051f57a06707ce7c184890c.jpg

A couple of LMS Period I Composite's returned for a roof repaint..

3526_rh.jpg.27e65e6ab97865ca28efe6e60107e8c9.jpg

3572_lh.jpg.af9b404ea35d19f71553ccc029754ad3.jpg

More resin for the Hellcat..

hellcat_tanks.jpg.ccc5ba83da53f72ffb7d825141ebc258.jpg

And the Eagle landed in Lego form yesterday..

eagle2.jpg.2de2ae542064413a5420db530c564f25.jpg

• Like 5

The lswr coaches look nice,  the (Mainline) LMS 57' coaches really set a new standard when they came out all those years ago, and hold their own today imho.  The Lego Eagle is great!

Can't work out what the Hellcat resin is, is it an underwing radar dome?  I saw  the video of 'Nigel's workbench' Hellcat engine core, that engine is massive in model form.

Just now, railroadbill said:

The lswr coaches look nice,  the (Mainline) LMS 57' coaches really set a new standard when they came out all those years ago, and hold their own today imho.  Got a couple of rakes of them in different liveries and they look fine running round the layout. The Lego Eagle is great!

Can't work out what the Hellcat resin is, is it an underwing radar dome?  I saw  the video of 'Nigel's workbench' Hellcat engine core, that engine is massive in model form.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1