Scratch building a GWR Hall 4-6-0 and a LNER B12 4-6-0

Last year I brought two locomotive body shells. This inspired me to build two new locomotives from scratch. I'd buy the parts needed for them and then run them once they are complete. 

The loco shells are:

GWR Hall 4-6-0 4984 Albert Hall

LNER B12 4-6-0

When I got them both, they just looked awful so when I got home I got out the black paint and repainted them both.

After they had dried, I assessed the situation and made a list of what they needed.

Hall

New cab

Buffers

Nameplates

Numberplates

Chassis

Tender

Driver and fireman

Lamps

Lamp irons

Headboard?

a repaint

B12

Smokebox door

Waterslide transfers

chassis

tender 

Driver and Fireman

lamps

lamp irons

17 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Albert hall is 4983. Looking good so far. 

Yes I know it is. I've just realised my mistake I've put 4984 instead of 4983. Thanks for reminding me! 

Cheers, James. 

Edited by JamesGWR101
Spelling mistake

• 1 month later...

I've managed to obtain a tender shell for Albert Hall. It's in BR green has the early crest. The tender has been detailed with real coal, a tail lamp and tools from the Hornby loco detailing pack.

Edited by JamesGWR101

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2019 at 18:14, JamesGWR101 said:

Last year I brought two locomotive body shells. This inspired me to build two new locomotives from scratch. I'd buy the parts needed for them and then run them once they are complete. 

The loco shells are:

GWR Hall 4-6-0 4984 Albert Hall

LNER B12 4-6-0

When I got them both, they just looked awful so when I got home I got out the black paint and repainted them both.

After they had dried, I assessed the situation and made a list of what they needed.

Hall

New cab

Buffers

Nameplates

Numberplates

Chassis

Tender

Driver and fireman

Lamps

Lamp irons

Headboard?

a repaint

B12

Smokebox door

Waterslide transfers

chassis

tender 

Driver and Fireman

lamps

lamp irons

Looks like you need to add handrails to that list...

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

The trouble is that Albert is a Hall whilst Witherslack is a Modified Hall with a totally different front end. Sorry if that messes up your plans.

Ray.

Yeah that is a good point. i could modify the front end to look like it or, being a Harry Potter fan, I might rename and number it as 5972 Olton Hall in the Hogwarts Railways livery.

On 26/11/2019 at 15:45, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Yeah that is a good point. i could modify the front end to look like it or, being a Harry Potter fan, I might rename and number it as 5972 Olton Hall in the Hogwarts Railways livery.

Or i could leave it as it is. as a black BR loco or a wartime GWR one (most were painted black during WWII)

On 28/04/2019 at 18:26, JamesGWR101 said:

Here is some pics of both locomotives. 

First up up is the B12:

image.jpeg.ff6207c127e1b5a917bf267585c368b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.8844f1277a8805c7d85b88dc404d7ecd.jpeg

image.jpeg.ace237ef8dbbfe3af027c6b1001572ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.2bb46a6dff211396bfd18ec9501df4a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e9f97cb121de52f10f224ffb97597e2.jpeg

I took two Hornby B12s and made them into the LNWR 19-inch Express Goods 4-6-0. I made an LNWR version and I am currently working on the LMS version of it.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the subject of LNWR loco lining, there are some excellent products available, from the Model Trade, for producing this lining on 4 mm models. HMRS (Historical Model Railway Society) produce a sheet including curves, splasher lining, footplate lining, etc. which is press fixed.

Fox and Modelmaster also produce this lining for 4 mm models, which is waterslide.

Full details, prices and supplier addresses can be accessed via the Internet.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I now have some GWR and LNER loco/tail lamps that I recently brought at a model railway show. Also, I now own another Albert Hall (as it should be) but renamed and renumbered as 5972 Olton Hall (As many of you might know, it was used as the Hogwarts express in the Harry Potter films). Not much in terms of progress has gone on with the shells. I have been trying to seek parts for both locomotives without success although I now have a few spare wheels which might come in handy one day...

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• 1 month later...

Update: I am in the process of turning the Albert Hall shell into a boiler. So far, I have removed the cab, two wheel splashers, bufferbeam and a bit of the footplate. The top of the backhead was rough  (see earlier photo) so I filed that down. I'm keeping the front of the smokebox whole but considering removing the saddle and supports. I also might remove the safety valve cover but i might end up keeping that. 

This is the boiler of 4930 'Hagley Hall' (Now undergoing overhaul) at the Severn Valley Railway. This is what I hope the shell will look like when I'm finished. It will be then put onto the Lowmac wagon.

image.png.929c3729b2714a08ffeab4127bfc41b6.png

I have still have to file down the molded handrails and saw the splashers and footplate off, but I'll get there, eventually.

I'll let you know on the progress on the boiler

James

So, with that, attention has now turned towards the B12. As it is already black, I am going to paint it as either as LNER wartime or BR either with Gill Sans lettering or  the early crest (Lion on wheel) or late crest (Ferret with dartboard)

Here's what it will hopefully look like once it is complete (Though my model will be black).

image.png.e4bd3f05efb46439edc86294d8a74963.png 

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall