DJ Models Announcement 01/05/19

RJennings

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep posts on topic. Rubbish will be removed.

• RMweb Gold

Quote from that topic from DJM himself .....

I'd say whoever applies must have experience of dealing with the Chinese and their ways, must have a nouse for the market place, know models worldwide and mechanisms, know about possible innovations and be able to develop new ones, know cad designs and how to produce them, have a knowledge of the industry, be willing to do as I have and Interact with modellers on forums and take on board comments and criticisms, take it on the chin if you c*ck up and be quick to sort it out, have a thick skin and pots more.

Oh dear

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

For those in the know, what was Mr Jones specific role at Dapol?

As well as that I'm waiting for someone to do a comparison of the DJM setup to that of the N gauge business that Mr Jones ran before joining Dapol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

Please stop this hyperbolic nonsense. Even if what is alleged did occur it is not illegal and definitely won't result in model railway makers being raided. It is however potentially libellous to suggest it is.

Incorrect. If it can reasonably be deduced who it is it is libellous. They don't have to be named.

Ruggedpeak - the comment is DJ Models , in their statement - not mine.

DJ Models allege what he describes 

a very serious and illegal approach - and it was done in writing

Any suggestion of illegality is DJ Models' take on it - and not mine.   .Since I don't know what actually happened - if anything - or who might have been involved, I can't be  certain whether what is alleged to have happened would have been legal if it had happened . I can express caution about Dave Jones comments, perhaps even scepticism . I certainly don't want to lend any credibility to Dave Jones' comment. But possibly if I expressed a stronger view about the credibility of the statement I might be accused of libelling Dave Jones...

I stand by my characterisation  of DJ Models' allegation  as 

Extremely irresponsible - especially if it turns out to be untrue or a complete mis-statement of the real situation  [ emphasis added ]

For the sake of clarity, a comment like that from DJ M might incite someone to investigate - even if the claim turned out to be completely unfounded and everyone involved had behaved completely properly 

Comments like that could cause real harm to innocent parties. And allegations against unnamed parties have a tendancy to result in all and sundry being identified as the intended target

DJ Models should not have made such a comment. I certainly don't support it

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

For those in the know, what was Mr Jones specific role at Dapol? What acclaimed models did he have input & influence over?  Genuinely would like to be educated on this, because from what I see, since his 'departure', Dapol have flourished. Maybe at a steady pace, maybe with some minor teething problems but overall have produced some excellent stuff.

My main concern though is for the crowdfunders. I was lucky that I pre-ordered a Class 92 from my local model shop but cancelled it ages ago after seeing no progress. Losing £30 is bad enough but some people appear to have lost in the hundreds. With many bailing or about to withdraw the rest may as well do a KLF .... go and sit in a field and burn all their money.

I think the Class 52 Western was the main OO one . And I think the interaction on here as he designed it , taking feedback etc is where he gained a lot of goodwill .  I've got one and it is a very nice model.   But I think he probably had a hand in most of their N stuff

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Also the class 22 in OO, possibly the 121/122—some work had been done on these (I think) when he left. In N, all of the Platinum range items—from the Hymek onwards; the class 33 was started but the tooling was modified after he left.

• RMweb Gold

For many years I felt there was a lot of BS coming from DJM. "Illegal approach", "£250,000 of tooling", whatever happened in China, whatever happened with private commissions. It was one excuse after another and throw away comments that did more harm then good. Too many parties engaged and then walked away. Too many to be co-incidence. Something just seemed off.

I was quite happy to be proved wrong but always advised others not to invest in any of these projects. 

Sorry it is come to this and I hope people can get money back but I have my doubts.

If there is to be any hope there has to be product and there has to be product quickly. I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winter123 said:

For those in the know, what was Mr Jones specific role at Dapol? What acclaimed models did he have input & influence over?  Genuinely would like to be educated on this, because from what I see, since his 'departure', Dapol have flourished. Maybe at a steady pace, maybe with some minor teething problems but overall have produced some excellent stuff.

Amongst others that have already been mentioned, the Class 73 - which IMO has the worst design of pickup ever inflicted upon the British railway market...………...

The MRA side tippers with less than ideal inter-vehicle couplings that either come apart or cause derailments.

At least the JNA and IOA wagons aren't too bad.

He did start the process at Dapol for the 68 and he had remarked, whilst he secured the "model rights" for the Class 68 from DRS, he omitted the Class 88...…..

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Anyone remember the Ixion ‘2mm scale’ Manor that Dapol were commissioned to produce? You know, the one that came out bigger than 2mm scale? Can’t remember the year but just sayin’

40 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Now that RevolutioN have reopened the order book for the N Gauge class 92 I suspect DJM are done!

Fortuitous that DJM's announcement was just a day after RevolutioN closed their order book, but before they had finalised the numbers in the Purchase Order. Keeping the order book open for a week seemed like a smart idea.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mike Harvey said:

Fortuitous that DJM's announcement was just a day after RevolutioN closed their order book, but before they had finalised the numbers in the Purchase Order. Keeping the order book open for a week seemed like a smart idea.

Hmm.

The DJM Statement came:

- 1 day after RevolutioN closed their order book

- 2 days after Accurascale announced they were proceeding to tooling in China

- The same day as Kernow opened their new shop in Guildford

- A couple of weeks after the D600 models came off the boat in Southampton  

• RMweb Premium

The election results are more interesting than this. No-one believes DJM's undelivered  airware any more than certain political parties. Vote with your wallets, Hornby, Bachmann, Ultrascale, Heljan....?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NinOz said:

Where are the dislike and disagree options? :mellow:

Only having like and agree options seems to give a sense of only agreement with some rather poor taste and pointless posts.

CFJ

On the plus side, no one has disagreed with you!

• Funny 5

5 minutes ago, gelboy45 said:

Is it me or is this getting tiresome?

It is, a bit. But if you scroll to the top of the page you'll see a big red "Ignore this topic" button. Click on it, and it won't be tiring you any more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

43 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Amongst others that have already been mentioned, the Class 73 - which IMO has the worst design of pickup ever inflicted upon the British railway market...………...

The MRA side tippers with less than ideal inter-vehicle couplings that either come apart or cause derailments.

At least the JNA and IOA wagons aren't too bad.

He did start the process at Dapol for the 68 and he had remarked, whilst he secured the "model rights" for the Class 68 from DRS, he omitted the Class 88...…..

Cheers,

Mick

The J94s mechanism and chassis takes the biscuit for worst kettle design ever.

Didn't the N Gauge Mark 3s arrive in the wrong livery, which I understand he authorised, shortly after which he left Dapol.

6 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

It is, a bit. But if you scroll to the top of the page you'll see a big red "Ignore this topic" button. Click on it, and it won't be tiring you any more.

Thanks.  Almost as tiresome as Brexit! 

35 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

The DJM Statement came:

- 1 day after RevolutioN closed their order book

- 2 days after Accurascale announced they were proceeding to tooling in China

- The same day as Kernow opened their new shop in Guildford

- A couple of weeks after the D600 models came off the boat in Southampton  

I suspect that the timing was deliberate and was in the face of some anxious horses close to open stable doors. I fear, as the revolution announcement has proved, that they have now fully bolted. I suspect that the failure to turn the money invested into the 92 into a product is going to be very significant.

The record at Dapol is hit and miss, but it did at least result in British N Gauge getting a significant boost.

Edited by m0rris
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, gelboy45 said:

Almost as tiresome as Brexit! 

You don't have to read it, I do. I'll start removing some more pointless posts such as that at some point.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Finally caught up. People posting faster than I can read them.

So do DJM invoice for the class 92 and King or fold? Drawing on my work experience of many years ago, DJM need to tread carefully. Running a business and taking monies with little prospect of delivering and then going into liquidation could lead to an allegation of a criminal offence.  I really want these models and would probably pay the final installments.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Persephone said:

Didn't the N Gauge Mark 3s arrive in the wrong livery, which I understand he authorised, shortly after which he left Dapol.

I had forgotten about that farce.  125 branding on hauled coaches, wrong numbers, inconsistent roof colours, etc.

Took me over a year mix and matching to get a set of matching roofs on my HST set!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite the possible legal implications of withholding a 'stage payment' on a model I suspect the impact of this will be some folk saying/feeling that they will take the loss of their initial payment and reacting to an invoice with the reply 'sue me'