DJ Models Announcement 01/05/19

RJennings

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep posts on topic. Rubbish will be removed.

• RMweb Premium

Have always wanted Dave to succeed, however there have been too many poor business decisions. With the rival 92 at tooling already it looks as if Dave’s version may flop. Sadly I believe we may be seeing the death throes of DJModels, the hobby will be the worse for it if they do go under.

• Agree 3

Hi,

Well I didn't expect this to be the announcement.

I hope its not possible to prevent other manufacturers producing a scale model of a full sized prototype.

I've attached some info of the definition of IP from the GOV.UK website.

Perhaps the IP idea falls at the first hurdle - can a scale model of something that existed be claimed as unique?.

Manufacturer D: I've making a unique model of a Class W. Manufacturer H: I'm also making a unique model of a Class W.

My D J Models Class 71 has a certain claim to uniqueness - its my only loco that won't go round 3rd radius curves.

Jonathan Swift were he returned to life today might be prompted to write a "Modest Proposal Version 2" where all those who claim to be unique individual but who have an identical twin can be legally eaten by the twin thus turning that uniqueness claim from a proposition into a fact.

Regards

Nick

DJMODELS IP 1 MAY 19 A 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Markwj said:

I suppose now if DJM does go bust it would stop another manufacturer getting hold of his tooling in China and releasing them under their own brand. 

In a theoretical example the Liquidator would be obliged to dispose of the company assets for the best value achievable for the benefit of creditors, so if there was realisable value not necessarily..

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

I suspect Dave still reads this thread.  I wonder if he looks at the comments, particularly of those from now ex-crowdfunders and realise that this announcement has actually done his business a spectacular degree of harm.

If he truly believed in his idea of IP protection, he could have just quietly done it.  Instead, a big fanfare, an promised exciting journey, only to be told that if he gets his way, he's cutting choice.  Way to get people on board Dave. 

Accurascale went to tooling with their 92 yesterday.  Now that image of the 92 roof really does promise an exciting journey.  And the servo panto.   

I wonder how the APT fan boys are feeling right now.  Their model wasn't listed in his IP registrations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

3 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I suppose now if DJM does go bust it would stop another manufacturer getting hold of his tooling in China and releasing them under their own brand. 

I think you might have hit the target with that one, I've heard it suggested that the factory that made 'his' class 71 have been offering to sell the tooling to anyone prepared to come up with cash (presumably they feel they are owed by DJM). By protecting the IP of his models he might at least stop a third party contracting with his former supplier and selling the model that he developed into the UK market. 

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I am confused (actually very confused) and cannot see how this works - e.g. he has I.P. on the Class 71 dating from September 2018, but Hornby's Class 71 was released well before then, so what "I.P." is protected ?   The only thing I can think is that it is DJM's CADs that are now protected such that people can't copy them to other manufacturers ???????

But I don't know.

----------

More importantly (and I may very well have missed a previous announcement on the issue) - he says that there is DJM Tooling in China which he owns but he can't use (I think there was a comment that a company was holding the moulds to ransom ????)   But what I would like to know is what models are affected ?  I want to know what to look out for on the second hand market !

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Anyone want to crowd fund a lawsuit!?

As both OO and N gauge Class 92s were registered as IPs by Dave on 9th September 2018, lawsuits would seem to be a real possibility if DJModels serves a “cease and desist” letter on the 2 other manufacturers concerned ...

Edited by dcroz
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone remember how BT tried to copyright the Internet...

I didnt want want to get caught in the stampede so I will tonight register my design for a steam locomotive... anyone who copies anything like this in T,N,TT,HO,HOe,O,OO,P4,EM better be careful...

AEE80EA9-9984-424E-B1D4-E84EC7808AB8.png.a79168160f6937dd4a5e954c4daa9294.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Amand said:

First thing tomorrow I'll copywrite these two designs. Can't wait to receive royalty payments from any manufacturer that has in the past, the present or the future sold anything resembling them.

IMG_0921.jpeg.48059d51fe4852de55ac1d3c2ba61f3b.jpeg

That is a design of beauty: one worthy of crowd funding! :drink_mini:

Best wishes,

Nick

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Other modellers have encouraged boycotting DJM: I whole heartedly agree with those sentiments. 

My experience of his products hasn’t been great. I’d love to know the failure rate of his 14xx designed locomotive. I went through two before getting a third working one, which doesn't work as well as a comparable model from Hornby or Bachmann. Perhaps I should launch my own lawsuit for the distress caused from having two cr#p locomotives! 

As far as I am concerned, he can announce what he wants, but I will not buy a single product of his. This finishes any good will I had for the man and his company. 

Anyone want to crowd fund a lawsuit!? Honestly, this has really annoyed me! 

Regards,

Nick.

Totally agree, Nick.  

I have heard retailers describe him as a charlatan. 

Hattons had a potential goldmine in the form of the 14xx. This would have sold for years. 

However they wouldn't work. 

The modelling equivalent of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory..

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Amand said:

First thing tomorrow I'll copywrite these two designs. Can't wait to receive royalty payments from any manufacturer that has in the past, the present or the future sold anything resembling them.

IMG_0921.jpeg.48059d51fe4852de55ac1d3c2ba61f3b.jpeg

Hey !!!!

youve already infringed my patent !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

Just now, adb968008 said:

Hey !!!!

youve already infringed my patent !

just because you were first means nothing.

Mine is timestamped before yours! You owe me £1,000,000 plus VAT.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

My prediction is Bachmann or Hornby will ignore this, wait for the threatening letter to drop through the letter box then tell DJ that it'll be tested in court. At that point it's time for DJ to sh*t or get off the pot because he'll need very deep pockets and if the case goes against him he could risk losing more than he can afford to lose. Which is exactly why one of the bigger companies will do it.

I just keep thinking of a certain film....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

My prediction is Bachmann or Hornby will ignore this, wait for the threatening letter to drop through the letter box then tell DJ that it'll be tested in court. At that point it's time for DJ to sh*t or get off the pot because he'll need very deep pockets and if the case goes against him he could risk losing more than he can afford to lose. Which is exactly why one of the bigger companies will do it.

Actually I think they may want to joint or severally represent one of several cases against DJ and take the initiative. 

it will take him out of the market faster and set precedent to prevent this action again.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, dcroz said:

As both OO and N gauge Class 92s were registered as IPs by Dave on 9th September 2018, lawsuits would seem to be a real possibility if DJModels serves a “cease and desist” letter on the 2 other manufacturers concerned ...

But didn't both Hornby and Lima make something that looks like a class 92 about 30 years ago.........?

This is all madness

• Agree 8

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Actually I think they may want to joint represent a case against DJ and take the lead.

it will take him out of the market faster and set precedent to prevent this action again.

The only winners will be the lawyers. Ever heard of a poor or unemployed lawyer? It would either take down a recent entrant into the market or hurt a long established manufacturer. 

Just a thought - Oxford Rail have made an Adams Radial and Dean Goods. Both also made by Hornby (though not recently for the Dean). Maybe Hornby's Chief Executive could sue Oxford - or Oxford's owner sue Hornby?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Look on the bright side, at least those who've fronted up money for his crowd funded ideas and have been waiting to see something for their money can take comfort from the knowledge he's been using his time to good effect :diablo_mini::rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Amand said:

Mine is timestamped before yours! You owe me £1,000,000 plus VAT.

No way dude,,,

mine me is better quality as it has smoke.

I accept bitcoins as payment.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4